Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Some of you may have wondered what I’ve been up to these last couple of weeks, some of you thought I’d lost my Mojo after my Post in Willsbridge asking the question, but the opposite is the case. I’ve been buzzing and wanted to get some Track down and a lot of thought has gone into the operational possibilities of Bristol Victoria which I’ve been secretly planning since the Sale of Pencarne, and I wanted to maintain the sort of interest I had in Pencarne both for myself and my friends here on R M Web.

Bristol Victoria has been inspired by Two Layouts from two different generations, Firstly Frank Dyers Borchester Market, and Secondly Jason Thomas’s Bacup that I was privileged to have a play on back in March 2014, and enjoyed the Shunting and making up and breaking down Goods Trains and despatching off to their destinations between Passenger Services.

One of the things that made Pencarne a success for me was the Back Story to help build a realistic operating Timetable, and for some believable Train movements to add to the Photographic possibilities. So with that in mind, here is the Back Story for Bristol Victoria.

Bristol Dockside Station was originally built by the Bristol Docklands Railway Co and opened in 1845, just 5 years after Bristol Temple Meads. In 1895 it was transferred to the Great Western Railway to allow the company direct access to the Docks, and was known in the Timetables as Bristol Docks Station, and now served the New Passenger and Cargo Shipping Services from Bristol Docks to America and Ireland.

In 1910 the Midland Railway showed an interest, and in return for running rights from Mangotsfield Junction the Midland Railway part funded a joint Locomotives Servicing area to the North of the Line with a Turntable and Locomotive Servicing Shed so that Locomotive no longer needed to travel to Mangotsfield Junction or Temple Meads to be turned.

At the end of the Second World War, due to sever Bomb damage the Station Building was demolished and rebuilt in the Modernist Post War fashion (not as in the Photos below) and was Re Named Bristol Victoria in memory of a visit to the City in 1882 by Queen Victoria to mark her Golden Jubilee. The Passenger Platforms consist of 2 Island Platforms, with Platform 1 being a short Bay and Platform 2, the Main Platform holding 6 Coaches. Platform 3 is slightly shorter and is mainly used by Local Services, and Platform 4 is primarily for Parcels Traffic from London and the Midlands and Pigeon Specials from the Midlands. Between the Main Platforms is a Loco release road from Platform 3 which also doubles as a Coach stabling Road.

The Main Platform No 2 lost its Run around facility after the War as it was envisaged that all main Services would be Push Pull worked. As it transpired the Services that the Western and Midland Regions provided were all Loco hauled and needed the Coaching Stock to be put into the centre Coaching Road to release the Loco from the Buffers. Western Region Passenger Services come from South Wales, London and the West Country, whilst the Midland Services are generally from Birmingham or Manchester. Some through Passenger workings take place like The Midlander from Manchester to Penzance requiring a Loco Swap en route.

The Goods Yard is small but a Transfer Yard; (West Yard) was built to the South of the Line and consisted of just one Siding and a run around facility.

Through Coal and Perishables Traffic for the Docks runs around in the Yard and takes the Docks Goods only Branch from the Station to the Quayside.  

All off the above is of course totally fictitious, but it places the Layout in a proper location, with an interesting passenger and Goods workings.

Here are a couple of pics from the first planning on the 13th Dec, but things have moved on a bit in the last 5 days as you will see.

post-9335-0-92598500-1482083811_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96093300-1482083861_thumb.jpg

And Today we have this.

post-9335-0-27717800-1482084215_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-34081400-1482084262_thumb.jpg

And then this afternoon a quick Stock check

post-9335-0-23095200-1482084340_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98752500-1482084390_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11388100-1482084437_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99461300-1482084491_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-26404200-1482084546_thumb.jpg

And now it's in the Blue Eighties.

post-9335-0-08685800-1485902263_thumb.jpg

Note, Bristol Victoria is a long term project and is NOT being built to Sell.

So having posted 2 minutes ago Andy, all the wiring and balasting must now be completed?! ;-)

Look forward to your progress mate.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks Nick, but I've cheated, it's NOT wired yet, that's for the next couple of weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting "what if" Andy, all the more so because its an area which has inspired my imagined section of the Western Region. As part of my research into traffic and workings in the area I have collected a selection of Working Time Tables and so on, analysis of which has let me produce a couple of timetables of the Bristol Docks area. 

I attach them in case they are of interest.
Bristol Docks 1963.pdf
Bristol Docks 1965-66.pdf

Have you considered using the new Peco track Andy? It does look good.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick, with a box and a half of Code 100 Track and about 30 Points I wasn't in a hurry to spend out on a Track that from 3ft away looks no different to me, although it would be right if starting with no Track in the cupboard.

That sixth picture (of a Thousand standing on the middle road) looks most effective Andy.

Will be following this with interest.

PS Don't forget the trap point on the middle road protecting the running lines............................

Thanks Peter, yes indeed, and I also need one for the Bay and Depot exit's I would think. they will be for another day mate.

Interesting "what if" Andy, all the more so because its an area which has inspired my imagined section of the Western Region. As part of my research into traffic and workings in the area I have collected a selection of Working Time Tables and so on, analysis of which has let me produce a couple of timetables of the Bristol Docks area. 

I attach them in case they are of interest.

attachicon.gifBristol Docks 1963.pdf

attachicon.gifBristol Docks 1965-66.pdf

Thanks Adrian, My Lap top has the open bar hidden behind thebar at the  bottom of the screen but I'm working on that and looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Looking good Andy

Terry

Long term project? The way you've progressed, I bet it'll be done and dusted by New Year!

Looking really good, will follow with interest!

Thanks Terry and Martyn, yes I do mean Long Term, loads to do hahah.

Looks promising Andy.

That Highley station building gets everywhere- there's even one in my railway room!

Hi Steve, I didn't want to use the same as on Pencarne but it was available and seems to suit the Colouring of Stone in the Bath / Bristol area, besides it is a nice model.

Hi Andy

After our conversation just over a week ago, I like the way that it's evolved. I'll be following with interest

Thanks Duncan, Not sure what to do with Beale St at the moment, I may need to find a new home for that, depending on where and what I do with the Fiddle Yard.

Andy,

Really like the "S" shape to the layout as it's a neat trick to maximise length as well as looking effective.

I'd run the down main straight into platform 3, rather than into the middle road.

Are all four platforms for passenger use? I ask because the goods headshunt and sidings seem to block each other if the nearest platform is for passengers.

Attached is my take on that area.....

post-6880-0-26115600-1482095057.jpg

Andy,

Really like the "S" shape to the layout as it's a neat trick to maximise length as well as looking effective.

I'd run the down main straight into platform 3, rather than into the middle road.

Are all four platforms for passenger use? I ask because the goods headshunt and sidings seem to block each other if the nearest platform is for passengers.

Attached is my take on that area.....

attachicon.gifFile2214.jpg

Thanks Peter, as I said in the opening Post, Platform 3 will be for the Local Service's as it's shorter, (only 3 coaches) and I didn't mention it but also for Goods arrivals to run around or use the head shunt. Thanks for posting your idea above mate.

Guest 40-something

Why wire, new layout, new opportunity, go Protocab and there is no need to wire.

Protocab is a great idea but its sooo expensive!!!

Archived