Bristol Victoria (Blues in the 80's)

Andrew P

Hi Andy, this madness must stop, there are not 40 hours in every day, I am going dizzy trying to follow all your threads. All the best Adrian.

( I bet you have built another layout in the time it's taken me to type this).

Thanks Adrian, I will get a Layout that I'm 100% happy with one day, then and only then will I keep it. Could be some time yet.

I am pleased it interested you and others. The gazetteer has a slightly odd collection of English city maps. It includes Hastings and Tunbridge Wells, but not York or Portsmouth. Dad dated its publication to c1884 by the railways that are shown. If anyone wants a similar map of a city or English county they only have to ask. This section is about a third of a double spread, Some cities run to two double spreads and London to several, with a separate double of the railways. The English counties are in a scale of roughly a centimetre to a mile. Scotland and Ireland are mapped in a smaller scale and I think my Grandfather must have given Wales to someone, as that is missing altogether.

For the next month or so you can see those that I have scanned at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/555379 - but the site is likely to close at the end of January 2017.

Thanks Phil, I'll have a look at some others.

Cheers.

How big is the layout and what's the longest passenger formation you can run?

Well the Room / Baseboards are 17.5ft long, and the Track laid at the moment is down to 12ft, but at this stage I have a couple of choices, start the fiddle Yard from where the Tracks end at the moment in the pics above, OR go around the bottom of the Shed to form a U shape Layout with the Fiddle Yard on the opposite wall which will give me about a 25 to 30ft run from the Buffers to the start of the Fiddle Yard.

The main Platform will hold a Loco and 5 Coaches, possibly 6 with a short Loco, so that is the Longest I will run.

First Passenger Service up from Swindon is the 15.45 Local, hauled by Pannier Tank, No 9761 and three Coaches.

post-9335-0-54829800-1482182950_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23804400-1482183001_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about the lumpy bumpy Platform, the straighteners underneath haven't been fitted yet.

post-9335-0-20298900-1482183049_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50391300-1482183168_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-51430900-1482183215_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92619100-1482183260_thumb.jpg

Now I must STOP PLAYING and get on with some more modelling. hahha

First Passenger Service up from Swindon is the 15.45 Local, hauled by Pannier Tank, No 9761 and three Coaches.

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 010.JPG

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 011.JPG

Don't worry about the lumpy bumpy Platform, the straighteners underneath haven't been fitted yet.

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 012.JPG

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 013.JPG

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 015.JPG

attachicon.gifFrst Running under Power 016.JPG

Now I must STOP PLAYING and get on with some more modelling. hahha

Looking good mate. Shades of Pencarne!

:beee: 

Andy. Can you slow down please and give us mere mortals a chance :jester:

Hi Duncan, It's coss I still got this bloomin cough and remnants of a Cold that I go out there to get out of Dee's way, mind you she's still worse than me, and FUL of Germs. hahahha :O  :beee:

Hi Andy,

What prompted the change to foam ballast? Not seen you use this before with your other layouts.

Nothing wrong with playing trains at this stage, best to find out if there's any operational problems now rather than have to make changes later on.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Good god .. I vanish for a few days to do some work rather than modelling, come back and what do I find? You've deviated back to OO (albeit only in part I guess!) devised a track plan, put the track down, and now we have trains arriving.   Its one of those occasions if this were a comedy, id be sat reading this thread with O gauge point parts in my hand, would look at the images, throw the lot skyward and say I give up!!!

As my dad used to say to say to me when he wanted to tell me something, "come here lad!  Now perhaps nobody has explained the idea behind all this but ...." and in your case it would continue "... the principle is to take things slowly and enjoy the process .. like a fine wine or a Austin 7, not a bottle of Pepsi and bloody Porsche!"  :jester:

Seriously tho, like your idea and the background concept. I am one of those who likes the consider how (on a fictional layout) the railway got there in the first place, helps with the scenery, the planning, the trains, the timetable everything.  Well I find it does anyway!  Shall be watching along, but I think I can hear your O gauge Dapol 08 pining for you on the other side of the shed  :onthequiet:

Rich

PS Lets just hope Santa doesn't bring you any N gauge, or all hell will break loose in your man cave!

Hi Andy,

What prompted the change to foam ballast? Not seen you use this before with your other layouts.

Nothing wrong with playing trains at this stage, best to find out if there's any operational problems now rather than have to make changes later on.

Morning Ray, The Peco Foam underlay is something I've been experimenting with for some Months now and with very surprising results. The main one being the smoothness of the Loco motors and the reduction in noise. This is more noticeable for a Home Layout on deep Base Boards rather than an Exhibition Layout. My Friend John Bottomly has all his Torridge on Foam (RoM March 2013) and I was impressed with how smooth and sweet everything ran, plus the nice sound of the wheels over the Rail Joints, but again probably more noticeable on a Roundy Layout as Willsbridge was going to be. Once the Rail sides are painted and the Foam has a very light weathering and the Cess filled with Ballast you will have a job from 3ft away to notice immediately, and it's only for the Main Running Lines. The Yards are on a Black Foam mat, the same as used by Jason Thomas on his superb Bacup Layout. and they will be Ballasted in the normal way with a Black Cinders and Ash. Once again, as there will be no PVA bonding the Track direct to the Ply, the noise reduction is very noticeable.

Hi Andy,

Good god .. I vanish for a few days to do some work rather than modelling, come back and what do I find? You've deviated back to OO (albeit only in part I guess!) devised a track plan, put the track down, and now we have trains arriving.   Its one of those occasions if this were a comedy, id be sat reading this thread with O gauge point parts in my hand, would look at the images, throw the lot skyward and say I give up!!!

As my dad used to say to say to me when he wanted to tell me something, "come here lad!  Now perhaps nobody has explained the idea behind all this but ...." and in your case it would continue "... the principle is to take things slowly and enjoy the process .. like a fine wine or a Austin 7, not a bottle of Pepsi and bloody Porsche!"  :jester:

Seriously tho, like your idea and the background concept. I am one of those who likes the consider how (on a fictional layout) the railway got there in the first place, helps with the scenery, the planning, the trains, the timetable everything.  Well I find it does anyway!  Shall be watching along, but I think I can hear your O gauge Dapol 08 pining for you on the other side of the shed  :onthequiet:

Rich

PS Lets just hope Santa doesn't bring you any N gauge, or all hell will break loose in your man cave!

Morning Rich and Thanks for the above mate, I did N Gauge with Glenfinick, (see link below) immediately after my O Gauge Trebudoc, and the jump down was much to big, but never say never, imagine what I could do in 17 x 8 in N! :nono:

Four Pages!    Four!

How come I never see these threads until you nudge me!

Looks great mate, I'll be following on for more great Bodgetry.

Al.

Me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nudge,,,,,,,,,Surley not my Friend, I was going to suggest you go to Specwhatsits (other Opticians available), I thought you had seen it TBH, never mind, I cant believe I've got Track down and Trains running in less than 10 Pages.

And he's under starters orders........and he's off!!!

I've only been away for 4 days and you're already on page 4. That's a page a DAY!!!

Anyway Buddy it's looking great so far. Pencarne on Steroids springs to mind. Although that shed looks, as others have said, suspiciously Buxton like.

Anyway it looks as if it's going to have plenty have play value, sorry operational interest, that should keep you entertained for hours.

Cheers

Marcus

Archived