Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

As I ponder future projects my brain started to toy with some unusual layout ideas......has anyone tried to establish the minimum radius this little loco will actually negotiate before I start mucking about with test tracks etc.......? I know other factors such as buffer locking may impact on trackplans and operation but the loco info would be an interesting start if anyone has tested it.....

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

As I ponder future projects my brain started to toy with some unusual layout ideas......has anyone tried to establish the minimum radius this little loco will actually negotiate before I start mucking about with test tracks etc.......? I know other factors such as buffer locking may impact on trackplans and operation but the loco info would be an interesting start if anyone has tested it.....

Chris

I would like to know this too .I have a roundy  00 layout with 6 inch radius  curves.My Dapol B4 will negotiate it well but i would love the J70 to chug round .Its surprising how much rolling stock gets round those curves.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have access to a Setrack layout at present but the J70 has a 30mm fixed wheelbase. I have tried it on a R8073 point which is the only Setrack item I have here, and it feels tight. It certainly would not run on 6in radius curves. Second radius (438mm) is the minimum recommended radius). The other problem on sharp curves is the sideways 'throw' of the tension-lock coupler. It is pivoted to allow a normal amount of sideways movement but on very sharp curves it may well not be sufficient to prevent derailment of anything coupled to the locomotive.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I don't have access to a Setrack layout at present but the J70 has a 30mm fixed wheelbase. I have tried it on a R8073 point which is the only Setrack item I have here, and it feels tight. It certainly would not run on 6in radius curves. Second radius (438mm) is the minimum recommended radius). The other problem on sharp curves is the sideways 'throw' of the tension-lock coupler. It is pivoted to allow a normal amount of sideways movement but on very sharp curves it may well not be sufficient to prevent derailment of anything coupled to the locomotive.

Thanks Chris- I'm not thinking as low as 6" but may have a play ....coupling etc would certainly be a factor I'd consider....I am however just thinking about a bit of "fun" - I shall report back when I get round to it.

Chris

I agree with Chris,   The trackwork on my Welney Depot boards uses Setrack 2nd radius points and curved pieces.   Absolutely no problems with my three J70s but first radius even on the odd piece of Setrack would slow the operation of them.   All the best for the New Year, Colin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With stocks levels now lower than a Dachshund's belt buckle, is it time to think of a re-run of the J70s ? 

Perhaps as a stand alone Rapido item ? 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

With stocks levels now lower than a Dachshund's belt buckle, is it time to think of a re-run of the J70s ? 

Rob. 

Dangerous talk...I'd have one....

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

5 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Dangerous talk...I'd have one....

I've recently contributed to stock reduction.............and would do so again......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/05/2022 at 18:40, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

How viable would one in GER livery be ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rprodgers said:

How viable would one in GER livery be ?

If we do a re-run - and to the best of my knowledge there are no plans to do so - it would probably include a GER livery this time. However, in the survey we did originally, the GER livery choice was evenly split between the blue and the red/grey schemes, meaning that neither got sufficient support to be worthwhile. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dibber25 said:

If we do a re-run - and to the best of my knowledge there are no plans to do so - it would probably include a GER livery this time. However, in the survey we did originally, the GER livery choice was evenly split between the blue and the red/grey schemes, meaning that neither got sufficient support to be worthwhile. (CJL)

Morning Chris,

Rapido are now releasing the Dynometer car, previously a Rails of Sheffield exclusive. Would this not be an option for Model Rail. 

With due regard to the L&NER modellers smongst us, perhaps Rapido could release the BR versions with Model Rail retaining a run in GER blue ? 

However, I  think either  pre-grouping livery would sell well, especially if supported by the W&U coach now going through the design/production stages. 

Rob.  

12 hours ago, dibber25 said:

If you could only do one GER livery, then the one which was, historically, the more common would seem to be the best choice. Even people who would prefer the other version, if given the choice, would probably buy that.

My gut feeing is that a GER version is more viable now than it was when the model was first announced, partly because pre-grouping in general seems to be a growing market and partly because the Rapido W&U coach will make a complete W&U GER train more feasible. But, of course, it all really depends on the economics of production runs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris,

Rapido are now releasing the Dynometer car, previously a Rails of Sheffield exclusive. Would this not be an option for Model Rail. 

With due regard to the L&NER modellers smongst us, perhaps Rapido could release the BR versions with Model Rail retaining a run in GER blue ? 

However, I  think either  pre-grouping livery would sell well, especially if supported by the W&U coach now going through the design/production stages. 

Rob.  

It would depend entirely on what the original contract arrangements were, as to who can do what with the tools and when.

Very early on in the project I did suggest a boxed set of loco and tramcar in GER livery. However, the costs of tooling the coach made it prohibitive at that time. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 00:03, dibber25 said:

It would depend entirely on what the original contract arrangements were, as to who can do what with the tools and when.

Very early on in the project I did suggest a boxed set of loco and tramcar in GER livery. However, the costs of tooling the coach made it prohibitive at that time. (CJL)

Perhaps, though probably not high on the agenda, given the time that these things probably take is the time right for such conversations to be had ? 

Surely the commercial opportunities for sales of the W&U coach would be better with suitable motive power being available at the same time. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium

Just bought the Rapido J70, and what a beauty! I hesitated to buy one because of Brexit-related extra costs to have it send over, but glad my father could bring it over. It's one of the best, if not the best 0-6-0T out there. Looking forward to some W&U coaches!

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Just bought the Rapido J70, and what a beauty! I hesitated to buy one because of Brexit-related extra costs to have it send over, but glad my father could bring it over. It's one of the best, if not the best 0-6-0T out there. Looking forward to some W&U coaches!

They are rather nice, aren't they. I had two but moved them on. However, I regretted it and now have two other examples. My first two were  indifferent runners to be honest but the two I have now are much better.  I just need to weather them now....but at least they have a nice home to play in.

20220603_085151-01.jpeg.0ad49dd55503efef5baa1fcf7d6461a0.jpeg

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

They are rather nice, aren't they. I had two but moved them on. However, I regretted it and now have two other examples. My first two were  indifferent runners to be honest but the two I have now are much better.  I just need to weather them now....but at least they have a nice home to play in.

20220603_085151-01.jpeg.0ad49dd55503efef5baa1fcf7d6461a0.jpeg

Rob

I like the grey liveried version.

*ducks*

Jason

• Funny 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2021 at 18:47, EHertsGER said:

So here they both are in as finished a state as I have them right now. I am sure subtle details will emerge in the cruel light of the camera, but I did promise, so here they are.

A7AD9A40-0DA4-4381-8380-4BD29D943049.jpeg.7b6e89419a8ccd26d911fb6e98071633.jpeg

7D24637D-B66B-4B90-B8CF-8091B4C1EE12.jpeg.9e964ad1506c3d50ad02b629f738933f.jpeg

6D379549-BC04-4E22-ADF2-897677D968BA.jpeg.10b970d0939fa72f52a8047fe230f2e5.jpeg

0B3E48ED-39F1-4B78-8026-7DC85A1D16BF.jpeg.10ce0d560e54e48d786d5363466bd41e.jpeg

In summary, on the left is the Raipdo J70 and on the right is a Y6 from the D&S kit. Y6s are hard to find right now as the D&S kit and the Connoisseur kit (which the decals also fit) are out of production. However, there is, I believe, one available on Shapeways, but I have not tried the decals’ fit to that one. I have enough already!

The Rapido J70 above the blue is ‘out of the box’; I wasn’t going to make this harder than necessary and so for ‘varnished teak’ it will have to do. The Y60 uses Precision dark teak. I have no number plates for the J70 as I am modelling it. Reference to Peter Paye’s book on the W&U will give numbers and their build dates - several of the J70s never saw blue livery, going straight to crimson and grey. Others duplicated old Y6 numbers.

For those who don’t fancy painting the skirts, 138 was seen in at least one photograph with black skirts so all you need are the decals if you don’t mind black buffer shanks.

The skirts have been colour-matched to the decals using Revell 51 gloss ultramarine straight out of the tin - no mixing etc - and airbrushed the flat gloss over the lot. Lettering is from the existing Fox range. I have a very small number of sets left - see above for their search name on that auction site. £12 post included (yes, from NY!)

best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus, any chance you might be able to re-upload these pics that were lost in the forum crash, please?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate to approach controllers again.   I just received my copy of a J70 in wartime NE black & brown, full skirts.    The only controller I have handy is an aging MRC Tech II 2500.   I can't find a straight answer anywhere if it's considered feedback or not.   I've avoided it so far, as it makes the motors hum in my Trix V188.

Does anyone here have any experience with coreless motors and MRC 'Tech' controllers?   All I've found elsewhere is condemnation of the '1300' series controllers.