Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 3737 said:

What about an extra wheelset without tyres?

Leen.

That was what I was intending to mean when I said "a replacement wheelset". I may not have been clearly explaining myself, sorry.

If Bachmann specifically allowed for it, then their crankpin system, and whole assembly/disassembly process would have to be relatively idiot proof.  As it is, there are sources for the appropriate wheel from the aftermarket trade, and those who are that bothered can go out & buy a set to swap across.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 3737 said:

I mean Bachmann should include a replacement wheelset in the box. You shouldn't need to have the hassle to find one yourself.

Leen.

I think that would be very out of the normal for any 'manufacturer'. I believe even Accurascale are still weighing up what to include with their Deltic. Do SLW actually include spare wheelsets with their 24 by default, or do they have to be specified when ordering?

17 hours ago, 3737 said:

I mean Bachmann should include a replacement wheelset in the box. You shouldn't need to have the hassle to find one yourself.

Leen.

Hornby provides flanged trailing wheelsets for most of the Pacifics, although a spare set of driving wheels is asking a bit more.

9 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Decorated samples on the Rails website (hope it’s ok to post, no connection): https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3341-midland-johnson-1p

Can’t claim to be an expert on these but to my eye they look charming.

Adam

If the BR version would pass under a scale loading gauge, I'll reinstate my pre-order.

Until then - no thank you.

Are Bachmann trying to compete with Hornby's Rocket for the longest chimney trophy?

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If the BR version would pass under a scale loading gauge, I'll reinstate my pre-order.

Until then - no thank you.

Are Bachmann trying to compete with Hornby's Rocket for the longest chimney trophy?

John Isherwood.

To be fair John, you're under no obligation to purchase. 

I strongly suspect that Bachmann have done their sums..

I'm quite happy with Bachmann's rendition and am looking forward to having more than a few of these. 

They really do look very nice and will go well with the other LMS locos from Bachmann..

Rob

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I think that would be very out of the normal for any 'manufacturer'. I believe even Accurascale are still weighing up what to include with their Deltic. Do SLW actually include spare wheelsets with their 24 by default, or do they have to be specified when ordering?

If you order a P4 version from SLW they convert the loco to P4 for you. They also include the original OO wheel sets with the order.

Craig W

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Provision of alternative wheels for purchasers to fit themselves would only be sensible if the loco were designed to make the swap easy enough for any Tom, Dick, or Harry to do simply by whipping off the keeper plate with little or no other dismantling required.

It has been done, many years ago, by Dapol on their Hunslet Austerity/J94, (the origin of the current Hornby ones) but the nether regions of r-t-r locos carry significantly more detail these days.

Personally, I'd prefer the thing to come without tyres as I only want/expect it to pull 2/3-coach trains of lightweight r-t-r stock over mainly flat terrain. However, past observation of posts on this and other forums indicates that some expect far more and will complain loudly if it won't drag the Royal Scot empties up the 1-in-30 to their carriage sidings.:jester:

John  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, past observation of posts on this and other forums indicates that some expect far more and will complain loudly if it won't drag the Royal Scot empties up the 1-in-30 to their carriage sidings.:jester:

John  

If they want that they should buy five or six of them. Sounds like it would be a fun event.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Nile said:

Do you have any evidence that it won't?

My eyes - but I didn't say it wouldn't; only that I remain to be convinced that it would.

Compare photos of the prototype to ones of the model, and make up your own mind.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

To be fair John, you're under no obligation to purchase. 

I strongly suspect that Bachmann have done their sums..

I'm quite happy with Bachmann's rendition and am looking forward to having more than a few of these. 

They really do look very nice and will go well with the other LMS locos from Bachmann..

Rob

As per my posting above - look at photos of the prototype loco in question, then at ones of the model.

My eyes tell me that the model chimney is way too tall - the proportions of chimney to dome and cab just don't look right - and it seems that I am not alone in thinking so.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Well, John, I'm no expert. I'll go with the flow. 

Have you contacted Bachmann with your concerns? 

Rob. 

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, John, I'm no expert. I'll go with the flow. 

Have you contacted Bachmann with your concerns? 

Rob. 

Too late now - we are at decorated samples now.

John Isherwood.

I have to agree with John. The chimney should be taller than the dome, but (as I've said before) I haven't seen a drawing of the Stanier chimney - from prototype photos it looks (to my eyes) like the chimney should be taller than the dome by about the same difference as dome to cab. Possibly a bit more, but nowhere near as it appears to be in this photo of the Bachmann model.

Edited to note that I this is comparing with prototypes I'm interested in, of which 58072 isn't one, but even so.

Edited by Jub45565
including caveat

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Too late now - we are at decorated samples now.

John Isherwood.

Was that the reply from Bachmann when you emailed them in November? 

Rob 

I set about searching images of 58072 at various times in its career this morning, only to find the dec sample image on the Bachmann website itself has the stubby chimney:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/mr-1532-(1p)-tank-58072-br-lined-black-(early-emblem)/31-742

In other respects the images are identical, right down to the misalignment between smokebox and smokebox saddle.

Most odd — are one or both of them CGI? The original Rails post suggested photograph to me, but now we’re well and truly up in the air...

Adam

Edited by Calidore

• RMweb Premium

The only two pictures I can find of the real 58072 show the stubbier chimney. As does the undecorated model in the Bachmann display case earlier in this thread. 

Edited by Downer

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Nile said:

Hmmm, chimneygate.

Yes, the chimneys do seem to be a sad state of affairs. Going by the reference photos for these particular engines, we should be seeing a Johnson 3'7" (or possibly 3'4") chimney on No. 1273, a Deeley 3'0" chimney on No. 1303, and, I believe, a Stanier chimney on No. 58072. 

I note that there's still the odd convex curve in the lining of the tank front of No. 1273. What are they thinking of? 

None of which will stop me buying a red one - it's not every day a pre-grouping Midland locomotive comes along so I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. These defects can be remedied; they're not fundamental.

• Agree 10