Jump to content

Downer

Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 05/08/2020 at 14:36, Compound2632 said:

 

But even in 4 mm scale kit form there's currently, to the best of my knowledge, a distinct lack of:

 

5'3"-wheeled small-boilered Johnson 0-6-0 (around 700+ locomotives all told, including M&GN and S&DJR versions, though a great many rebuilt to 3F). These engines can be had (with a little flexibility) in two shades of green, red, blue, yellow, brown (possibly two shades), and varying degrees of black...

 

Any of the Belpaire boilered 4-4-0s - 483 Class, Belpaire, 999 (didn't the GEM kit attempt to be for both of those at once?), Compound. In fact, I think the LRM 1808 Class is the only 4-4-0 available, though a useful one - also doing for M&GN Class C. 

 

I think we're unlikely to see the resurrection of any of the old Alan Gibson kits - Mr Seymour has got his work cut out meeting the demand for wheels.

I hope that's not the case with regards to Alan Gibson kits.  If the orders are there then surely they could make a batch if profitable?

Edited by MonsalDan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are occasionally available. 

 

But you've got to express an interest. Any excess go on the "available" list.

 

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/

 

Current list of what is available here. There was more recently but look like they sold during the virus panic buying. There was some GWR tanks and a Stanier Mogul a few weeks ago.

 

 

LNWR Coal Tank                                      4M161

S&DJR/LMS Class 7F 2-8-0 locomotive 4M31 & 4M35

7mm LNER E4                                          4MPK20

 

 

 

Jason

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MonsalDan said:

I hope that's not the case with regards to Alan Gibson kits.  If the orders are there then surely they could make a batch if profitable?

 

I think the issue is time. Please correct me if I'm under a misapprehension but the impression I get is that Colin Seymore is working his socks off keeping up with demand for wheels and other basic components, particularly at present - see http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/ - so production of a batch of kits would be a major distraction that might well not turn the same profit as the regular stuff. I think he's in the classic one-man-band dilemma of success but inability to expand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite coincidentally while letting Yourfacetube play through in the background, up popped a video at random. There is some lovely footage of the 2228 class to be found from 37:10 on this Railway Roundabout...

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

 

I think the issue is time. Please correct me if I'm under a misapprehension but the impression I get is that Colin Seymore is working his socks off keeping up with demand for wheels and other basic components, particularly at present - see http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/ - so production of a batch of kits would be a major distraction that might well not turn the same profit as the regular stuff. I think he's in the classic one-man-band dilemma of success but inability to expand. 

Fair enough, I wasn't aware it was a single man operation. Must be very busy with all those wheels!

Hopefully we get some of those kits some day though.

Edited by MonsalDan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2020 at 18:47, NHY 581 said:

 

 

 

Alternatively.......( just a guess...) 

 

Buy 58072 and 1303.

 

Swap smokebox/boiler/firebox assembly from 1303 with that of 58072 making good as required. 

 

Add lining to 1303 boiler. 

 

Reassemble left overs and research suitable identity. 

 

 

Rob. . 

 

I was considering this, but the photos of the engineering prototypes earlier in this thread show that the tank tops are moulded as part of the boiler, so it seems it wouldn't just be a case of swapping components.  BTW this is a perfectly sensible design choice as there looks to be a skirt between the boiler cladding and the tank tops.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

 

I was considering this, but the photos of the engineering prototypes earlier in this thread show that the tank tops are moulded as part of the boiler, so it seems it wouldn't just be a case of swapping components.  BTW this is a perfectly sensible design choice as there looks to be a skirt between the boiler cladding and the tank tops.

 

 

On the engines as originally built, the boiler cladding made a reverse curve where it met the tank top, so sitting on the tank top. Photos showing the tank tops of the real engines are scarce but I've found one that clearly shows this. Looking back at photos of the EPs posted in March 2019, Bachmann appear to have modelled this correctly. I am uncertain of the arrangement on the Belpaire-boilered engines. [F. James, D. Hunt and R.J. Essery, Midland Engines No. 1 (Wild Swan, 1999) reproduction of Drg. 93-3840, pp. 18-19 and photo p. 47.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more 1532 Class action, this time at Bradford in 1910. Manningham's No. 1278 (pre-1907 No. 1544) is seen heading out for Leeds with the St Pancras dining car express, while another member of the class shunts some ECS out of the station.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love things like this.  It's like you are getting in a time machine.  I chuckled at the opening scene where it looks like a crowd of people were escorting the plow.  1 man (and a team of horses) working, ten spectators.

 

John

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even realise these had been released! When did that happen?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I didn't even realise these had been released! When did that happen?

 

 

Between 1881 and 1893.

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I didn't even realise these had been released! When did that happen?

 

 

I'm not sure they are, seems to be mostly speculative discussion?

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2020 at 00:09, brossard said:

I love things like this.  It's like you are getting in a time machine.  I chuckled at the opening scene where it looks like a crowd of people were escorting the plow.  1 man (and a team of horses) working, ten spectators.

 

John

 

Gaffer, driver, fettler, snowman, two snowman's mates and a lad.  The others might be casual spectators but could equally well be official gawpers-on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

 

I'm not sure they are, seems to be mostly speculative discussion?

Well, I've since checked and they seem to be listed on the Kernow website!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still just pre order though C’pn :) 

21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I've since checked and they seem to be listed on the Kernow website!

 

 

A7AD3433-A212-4B74-93AD-95510A7B9DF1.jpeg.9bbfe864e9816a59bd288056d5f62b6a.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

 

I'm not sure they are, seems to be mostly speculative discussion?

 

Not released yet but I expect to see the review sample in about 4 weeks which means the shelf stock may be about 8-10 weeks.

  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:clapping::clapping::drinks:

 

 

 

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

 

Not released yet but I expect to see the review sample in about 4 weeks which means the shelf stock may be about 8-10 weeks.

 

 

 

dear santa.png

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where;s the icon for "disturbing"/"triggered"/"can't unsee" when you need it.

  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Still just pre order though C’pn :) 

 

A7AD3433-A212-4B74-93AD-95510A7B9DF1.jpeg.9bbfe864e9816a59bd288056d5f62b6a.jpeg

Doh!

 

Thanks Paul.

 

I'm not even sure that I really need one now. Although I still have Bleakhouse Road, the S&DJR side of things is rather dormant at the moment, with the focus on Bethesda Sidings and (soon, I hope), Callow Lane.

 

I suppose I could get one to convert it to P4 for Callow Lane.

 

What I don't want to do is repeat my usual behaviour of succumbing to the natural allure of the loco, only to send it off with a load of other stuff, virtually unused and hardly ever taken out of it's box, to Hattons Secondhand Department a few years later.

 

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm not even sure that I really need one now. Although I still have Bleakhouse Road,

I’d sit down with a nice pasty and all will become clear . . .

 

so which livery will it end up in? ;) 

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

 

 

What I don't want to do is repeat my usual behaviour of succumbing to the natural allure of the loco, only to send it off with a load of other stuff, virtually unused and hardly ever taken out of it's box, to Hattons Secondhand Department a few years later.

 

 

Yes - familiar sentiments here, usually whenever its something pretty/pre-grouping/limited/industrial etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’d sit down with a nice pasty and all will become clear . . .

 

so which livery will it end up in? ;) 

I've learnt my lesson with the pretty liveries now, so it can only be a BR lined black example, if I go for it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

I've learnt my lesson with the pretty liveries now, so it can only be a BR lined black example, if I go for it.

 

It is pretty, isn't it? LNWR livery suits most locomotives but especially Victorian tank engines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've learnt my lesson with the pretty liveries now, so it can only be a BR lined black example, if I go for it.

 

 

 

Same here......unless they release a Prussian Blue jobbie......then it will go wrong.......again..

 

Rob. 

  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.