NGS Hunslet Shunter

Bomag

Thanks for the measurements Ben

So give or take the odd mm, the illustrations in the Journal are just about full size for the loco in N.

That being the case, if you get both a DCC socket and stay alive capacity into the model, as I'm sure you will, my vote for 2018 model of the year is already in the bag!

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

We are also considering the possibility of offering a freelance unlettered model - maybe in plain green, white or blue - but this is defintely not finalised.

Yellow might be a livery worth considering for a freelance model since this is a common colour for industrial shunters. I haven't found the exact prototype you are producing in yellow but here is an 0-4-0 hunslet.

SH%205622%20%27Don%20Corbett%27%20Hunsle

A fantastic project, hopefully its success will lead to other industrials in the future too. Exciting times ahead!

RMS Locotec provide a loco or two to Trostre, so that looks like it could be a likely choice for my South Wales loco.

If the Corus loco is produced, is it likely to be possible to incorporate the extended panel on the front, with an etch perhaps? It'd be hard to colour match the fluorescent yellow if it needed adding from scratch by the modeller. Even a pre painted piece for the modeller to fit would be a huge advantage.

Also, will more widespread variations, such as the fitment of a compressor cabinet on one side of the engine hood, be catered for?

Jo

Yellow might be a livery worth considering for a freelance model since this is a common colour for industrial shunters. I haven't found the exact prototype you are producing in yellow

British Steel had some in plain yellow.

Thanks for that, I have found one now.

16786.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A fantastic project, hopefully its success will lead to other industrials in the future too. Exciting times ahead!

RMS Locotec provide a loco or two to Trostre, so that looks like it could be a likely choice for my South Wales loco.

If the Corus loco is produced, is it likely to be possible to incorporate the extended panel on the front, with an etch perhaps? It'd be hard to colour match the fluorescent yellow if it needed adding from scratch by the modeller. Even a pre painted piece for the modeller to fit would be a huge advantage.

Also, will more widespread variations, such as the fitment of a compressor cabinet on one side of the engine hood, be catered for?

Jo

Hi Jo,

At the moment we are finalising the specs with the factory and establishing how far we can go with detail variations.  You'll know from the Revolution stuff Mike and I are involved with that these things matter to us, but at the same time we want to keep the model affordable.

Adding additional compressor cabinets or air cylinders in plastic is one thing; but producing separate etched parts for the Corus locos presents greater challenges and I suspect may be beyond the scope of what is achievable within the budget.  However if we can do it we will.

In terms of specific liveries, we have had considerable feedback from members, and I am sure some will be amended in the light of this.  In the next journal we will give more detailed information on this and going forward, with this the NGS's largest ever project by some margin, we will want to keep awareness and interest up with information about the design, performance, CAD files, liveries, and maybe even offering potential layout ideas for each model.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

There are a few BSC examples out there - I think 402, 403 and 404 were all at Workington and then Hardendale or Shap at various points:

https://flic.kr/p/612Hcq

8595256767_ff1cbb93ed_z.jpg2002-09-14 Hunslet 403 and others, Corus,  Workington by John Carter, on Flickr

10184612975_25a210b085_z.jpgIndustrialShunter_Workington2002_0914_1109 by Stevie B Photos, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/umSM8z

https://flic.kr/p/v28NDj

5931393074_1c0a011218_z.jpgWheels of Industry. Hardendale Quarry, Cumbria. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

As an aside I love this picture of a Hunslet unloading a 68 from the boat: https://flic.kr/p/FdFMYw

Cheers, Mike

• Like 4

There are a few BSC examples out there - I think 402, 403 and 404 were all at Workington and then Hardendale or Shap at various points:

https://flic.kr/p/612Hcq

8595256767_ff1cbb93ed_z.jpg2002-09-14 Hunslet 403 and others, Corus, Workington by John Carter, on Flickr

10184612975_25a210b085_z.jpgIndustrialShunter_Workington2002_0914_1109 by Stevie B Photos, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/umSM8z

https://flic.kr/p/v28NDj

5931393074_1c0a011218_z.jpgWheels of Industry. Hardendale Quarry, Cumbria. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

As an aside I love this picture of a Hunslet unloading a 68 from the boat: https://flic.kr/p/FdFMYw

Cheers, Mike

An excellent project for the society, hope it will be a success. Does anyone know when the RMS locotec version was first applied and also did any of these Hunslets ever wear the RFS grey livery with the yellow and blue stripes? 

Keith.

Looks like RFS had something similar an English Electric unit.

https://flic.kr/p/igY3Vz

https://flic.kr/p/9DC1xr

Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jo,

At the moment we are finalising the specs with the factory and establishing how far we can go with detail variations.  You'll know from the Revolution stuff Mike and I are involved with that these things matter to us, but at the same time we want to keep the model affordable.

Adding additional compressor cabinets or air cylinders in plastic is one thing; but producing separate etched parts for the Corus locos presents greater challenges and I suspect may be beyond the scope of what is achievable within the budget.  However if we can do it we will.

In terms of specific liveries, we have had considerable feedback from members, and I am sure some will be amended in the light of this.  In the next journal we will give more detailed information on this and going forward, with this the NGS's largest ever project by some margin, we will want to keep awareness and interest up with information about the design, performance, CAD files, liveries, and maybe even offering potential layout ideas for each model.

cheers

Ben A.

My advice would be to pick an early one and stick to it, this design evolved and changed considerably over the many years they were built. Basic shape remained more or less the same (although the cab profile changed later on) but weights and details varied greatly. Train brake fitted locos had additional casings in various positions, there was no room for compressor/exhauster inside the main engine casing. Sand fillers and casing doors changed over time as well as the more obvious handrails. Plain yellow or green would be a good basis for many locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michael

Thanks for your note - much appreciated especially as you're a respected expert in this field.  Your excellent article in Railway Modeller last year was one of the reasons we decided to go with this particular type.

The bonnets, cab and footplate will be the same on all models.  We won't be able to offer different sandbox fillers or bufferbeams (I understand they and the footplate varied in thickness depending on the required weight of the loco) and the cabs will all be the same too.

The bonnets will also be one component, so any variation in casing doors will not be possible, but we are planning to replicate different external cabinets, compressors and exhausters according to prototype.  Bearing in mind these are N-gauge (1:148) models, and neither market nor budget are unlimited, there are going to be compromises but we'll try to strike the right balance between affordability and accuracy.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Has the British Coal liveried one mentioned in post #6 been dropped as an option? It's not listed amongst the 15 models on the NGS website.

Did any of the Hunslets offered run alongside class 14?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hello Steven,

Yes, we have amended the list following feedback, early response and further research.  Apologies if that was the one you wanted, but I think we discovered its life was very short in that livery.

I think it is very likely Hunslets ran alongside Class 14 at steel works, collieries and possibly at oil refineries (and quite probably in preservation) but I have seen so many photos now I am getting a bit of shunter blindness and cannot recall whether I saw a specific picture of this!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

So that's an 8, 10, 13.

If you would do me a favour and not do any others I may want that would be great. :) ;)

Shutters like this will always have extra details so covering as many bases as feasible seems like the best plan. After all we are meant to me modellers as well where's the fun if we don't change them slightly.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, we have amended the list following feedback, early response and further research.  Apologies if that was the one you wanted, but I think we discovered its life was very short in that livery.

The British Coal one was only one of the ones I wanted and looks like an easy repaint. Unfortunately (for my bank balance!) you've added two or three more I really like the look of.

Will there be a discount for bulk purchases as there is with the NGS kits?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

The final price is yet to be determined, though we are reasonably sure it will not be too far away from the £75 quoted, and very unlikely to be more.

However, we are at the mercy of ongoing currency uncertainly. If we can give bulk buy discounts we will, but won't be able to decide that until further down the line.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

A good range of options that hopefully give most what they want or something to work with.

Like the flashing amber light. Presumably turning it on/off will be a DCC function but any idea how it will work on DC- flashing when power applied?

Just need to whittle the 6 I like down to 2 or 3 now!

Regards

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael

Thanks for your note - much appreciated especially as you're a respected expert in this field.  Your excellent article in Railway Modeller last year was one of the reasons we decided to go with this particular type.

The bonnets, cab and footplate will be the same on all models.  We won't be able to offer different sandbox fillers or bufferbeams (I understand they and the footplate varied in thickness depending on the required weight of the loco) and the cabs will all be the same too.

The bonnets will also be one component, so any variation in casing doors will not be possible, but we are planning to replicate different external cabinets, compressors and exhausters according to prototype.  Bearing in mind these are N-gauge (1:148) models, and neither market nor budget are unlimited, there are going to be compromises but we'll try to strike the right balance between affordability and accuracy.

cheers

Ben A.

Sand fillers and casing door hinges were altered at about the same time, they are very noticeable even in this scale, early ones were conventional round fillers, later square lids with piano hinges, casing door hinges were originally external, later not visible. This is what I meant by picking one and sticking to it, otherwise you get a mixture that never actually existed, it might as well be right for one at least. Incidentally my information has been corrected by Don Townsley in respect of the footplate thickness. Originally the footplate wasn't visible, but it was still quite thick - what I took to be heavier plates was mostly because the edge had been left visible above the valance. My drawings showed the original cab profile, my impression is that the cab roof was more curved later but I have no drawings showing this.

• RMweb Premium

Has the British Coal liveried one mentioned in post #6 been dropped as an option? It's not listed amongst the 15 models on the NGS website.

Did any of the Hunslets offered run alongside class 14?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I don't know if they ever ran together, NCB Ashington standardised on ex BR class 14s and there were plenty of Hunslets in the North East. The other main home for class 14s was Corby and they didn't have any Hunslets as far as I know.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben

Like the flashing amber light. Presumably turning it on/off will be a DCC function but any idea how it will work on DC- flashing when power applied?

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

We are hoping to offer a flashing roof light on DC as well as DCC, but we are still at relatively early stages of chassis and PCB design. Once we have more definite information we will update members.

Cheers

Ben A.