Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I thought the conversion took place while the 67s were in charge. I have however acknowledged the one off set in my previous post. A quick rat through Flickr looking for slam door non Banbury set (can't see any) lead to the following which I may as well post given for @cbrooks122000 I was searching anyway. Search/post is not exhaustive (exhausting maybe).

Here's another pic with the Banbury slam door set

Chiltern Class 68 in the Midlands

This is something that could be recreated in part with some digging on ebay, Hornby did the Pretendolino coaches but they aren't cheap on the second-hand market

68011 | Direct Rail Services/Chiltern Railways | Rewe

I think this is doable with a bit of artistic license on the wagons (I don't think these are available?). SL45s and Megafrets (both used by DRS) are made by Dapol.

Electro-diesel electro-diesel duo

MRA wagons, made by Dapol and available second hand (about £200 for 5)

Chiltern on the engineers

JNAs and a mixture of assorted ex EWS wagons (I have a rake similar to this with Dapol JNAs and Hornby Coalfishes). Probably a few Hornby Coalfishes still in shops, the JNAs will probably be secondhand market now.

68015 Elford

IOAs, also from Dapol (new run just announced so available for pre order)

68010 Stenson Bubble 030315

FNA wagons, from Bachmann, 37 from Bachmann or Accurascale.

Wrong Way Around!

A charter made of a mix of all sorts

The Yuletide Yorkshire Explorer

Credits for pics in the Flickr links.

Chiltern leased the class 68s from December 2014, the first plug door mark 3s set was introduced on 28th May 2018.

Roy

Roy

17 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Chiltern leased the class 68s from December 2014, the first plug door mark 3s set was introduced on 28th May 2018.

Roy

Roy

Are you sure? The pic I post above (quote below) is from 2014. Unless I am missing something!

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

This is what they are like:

12627 at leamington

And this article from 2012 saying about their introduction

https://www.railwaygazette.com/passenger/chiltern-railways-puts-refurbished-mk-iii-coaches-into-service/36974.article

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Are you sure? The pic I post above (quote below) is from 2014. Unless I am missing something!

And this article from 2012 saying about their introduction

https://www.railwaygazette.com/passenger/chiltern-railways-puts-refurbished-mk-iii-coaches-into-service/36974.article

Perhaps I am going mad!

I'll shut up :yes:

Roy

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, TomScrut said:

This is what they are like:

12627 at leamington

I believe the door conversion was done before the 68s were in use, but willing to be proven otherwise.

The above left in for completeness but was written blissfully unaware of the below.

Unless you're on about this?

68012 - 1U61 - London Marylebone

I wasn't aware of its existence, but it is called the Banbury/commuter set. Runs (ran?) from Banbury to London during weekdays.

This thread may be of use.

I’m glad you left the top picture in. It is a lovely livery.

On 21/03/2021 at 18:26, TomScrut said:

I think this is doable with a bit of artistic license on the wagons (I don't think these are available?). SL45s and Megafrets (both used by DRS) are made by Dapol.

The wagons in that image are megafrets. IKA megafrets and the IDAs are the only intermodal wagons DRS currently use I think.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Supposedly a new run announced today (KMRC on Facebook)

4D-022-019 Class 68 Fearless 68016 DRS Compass

4D-022-019D Class 68 Fearless 68016 DRS Compass DCC Fitted

4D-022-020 Class 68 Vigilant 68018 DRS Compass

4D-022-020D Class 68 Vigilant 68018 DRS Compass DCC Fitted

4D-022-021 Class 68 Splendid 68027 TransPennine Express

4D-022-021D Class 68 Splendid 68027 TransPennine Express DCC Fitted

4D-022-022 Class 68 Felix 68031 TransPennine Express

4D-022-022D Class 68 Felix 68031 TransPennine Express DCC Fitted

Good that they are doing some more. I'd have thought they'd have maybe done 33 since it's the only Mk5 compatible DRS liveried one left to do, and 6 or 7 in their post ScotRail colours.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Supposedly a new run announced today (KMRC on Facebook)

4D-022-019 Class 68 Fearless 68016 DRS Compass

4D-022-019D Class 68 Fearless 68016 DRS Compass DCC Fitted

4D-022-020 Class 68 Vigilant 68018 DRS Compass

4D-022-020D Class 68 Vigilant 68018 DRS Compass DCC Fitted

4D-022-021 Class 68 Splendid 68027 TransPennine Express

4D-022-021D Class 68 Splendid 68027 TransPennine Express DCC Fitted

4D-022-022 Class 68 Felix 68031 TransPennine Express

4D-022-022D Class 68 Felix 68031 TransPennine Express DCC Fitted

Good that they are doing some more. I'd have thought they'd have maybe done 33 since it's the only Mk5 compatible DRS liveried one left to do, and 6 or 7 in their post ScotRail colours.

I think the subtlety of 68033 will be lost on 99% of those that purchase these and that Dapol are probably more swayed by names...

Roy

23 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think the subtlety of 68033 will be lost on 99% of those that purchase these and that Dapol are probably more swayed by names...

Roy

The subtlety of 034 was not lost on quite a lot of us in this thread IIRC. It was definitely one of the reasons I bought it.

• RMweb Gold

When Dapol said they would be doing the whole fleet they weren't joking.

Fortunately my two renumbers, Lord President and Black Douglas are safe for a bit longer... With 5 TPE I think i’m done... If I pushed my self, Felix, but i’d kick one from the nest.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The subtlety of 034 was not lost on quite a lot of us in this thread IIRC. It was definitely one of the reasons I bought it.

Yes, but that is part of the point, RMWeb is not representative of 99% of the buying public. Here you have a dedicated bunch* who try to recreate the world as close as possible, beyond RMWeb that is often not the case.

* I am not even convinced that many on RMWeb would care whether their DRS 68 was the one that could couple to Mk5s.

Roy

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yes, but that is part of the point, RMWeb is not representative of 99% of the buying public. Here you have a dedicated bunch* who try to recreate the world as close as possible, beyond RMWeb that is often not the case.

* I am not even convinced that many on RMWeb would care whether their DRS 68 was the one that could couple to Mk5s.

Roy

Maybe not, but why rule yourself out of a particular option? Do people really care that much about named locos vs not named?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Um. Yeah. I'm one of that other 99%. I just want 'trains on tracks' and in the case of diesels I just like them to look pretty. Sorry :)

34 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Um. Yeah. I'm one of that other 99%. I just want 'trains on tracks' and in the case of diesels I just like them to look pretty. Sorry :)

And does it having a nameplate on dictate if it is pretty or not?

That's simply the point I am making. Why pick one of the generic DRS ones rather than a DRS one that does the generic DRS stuff and pull coaches?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

This was a bit of a surprise to me, I know the last batch of TPE sold quickly but wonder whether there is a demand for more, especially the DRS Compass blue pair, but we will see....

Looking at summer -autumn.. weve got 24/1, 25, 31, 33, 43, 45/1, 46, 55, 56, 60, 68, 86/4, 87, 91, 92, 150/2, 156. I’m sure some one will out a few 37/47....

I have to wonder if theres too much coming.

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Looking at summer -autumn.. weve got 24/1, 25, 31, 33, 43, 45/1, 46, 55, 56, 60, 68, 86/4, 87, 91, 92, 150/2, 156. I’m sure some one will out a few 37/47....

Somethings got to give, probably everyone's wallets !!

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I don’t need examples of half of these classes as I am not a collector, and my layout is very modern (post 2014) and i am very selective in what I choose and “need” to purchase.

I don’t have a 68 yet and missed out on a sound fitted one from the first batch because I had other priorities, so I for one will be getting one of the new batch (68016 if it makes any difference).

Having a few Accurascale 37s on order i am only looking to purchase (one) class 60 from those so far announced if Hornby don’t mess it up as I don’t have one of those yet either.

I imagine there will still be plenty of buyers here for the BR blue period class 24/25, 45 and 55 models that are coming though this year.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

And 390s and 800s relevant to the modern scene where the 68 buyers will likely be.

Whether said somebody also does some new 90s and 158s (here's hoping) is also maybe a factor.

I do however get the impression Dapol are happy enough to do a run of something and wait until it disappears and then do another run. Some of the last 68s hung around for a while didn't they?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I don’t need examples of half of these classes as I am not a collector, and my layout is set post 2014 and i am very selective in what I choose and “need” to purchase.

I dipped out on a sound fitted class 68 from the first batch because I had other priorities, so I for one will be getting one of these (68016 if it makes any difference).

Having a few Accurascale 37s on order i am only looking to purchase (one) class 60 from those so far announced if Hornby don’t mess it up as I don’t have one of those yet either.

I imagine there will still be plenty of buyers here for the BR blue period class 24/25 and 55 models that are coming though.

That is why that list is not as bad as it first looks. For many half is irrelevant as it is the wrong era. For me, no interest in the 60, 68, 92, 150/2 and 156 as they are too late.

I also don’t have the wires to want any of the electrics. Suddenly a list of 17 is cut to 9.

Of those, several have been known about for several years, so are budgeted for. Only really Hornby’s announcements have to be funded at shorter notice. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I don’t need examples of half of these classes as I am not a collector, and my layout is set post 2014 and i am very selective in what I choose and “need” to purchase.

Same here. The upcoming 24, 25, 31, 45, 46, 56 and 87 releases don't clash with the 68 from a timeline perspective. I know the loco classes do but not the particular ones coming up.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I do however get the impression Dapol are happy enough to do a run of something and wait until it disappears and then do another run. Some of the last 68s hung around for a while didn't they?

That seems to be their tactic as borne out by the recent announcement of more IOAs and MJAs.

Suits me as I do not have any of the former yet and only have two MJAs to date as my layout didn’t warrant any more.

Now with the Accurascale short HYAs on the way it’s forced me to consider what my next layout is going to be as definitely going to need more sidings!

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Like 1