Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Prototype for 00 gauge?

I'll get my hat and coat...

The Box Tank is Wrong!! But it is georgeous!

A pity we can't see the wheelbase in clear detail!

Worth a go though. Box tank and is that a Haycock Firebox?

Joyous!!!!

C.

The Box Tank is Wrong!! But it is georgeous!

A pity we can't see the wheelbase in clear detail!

Worth a go though. Box tank and is that a Haycock Firebox?

Joyous!!!!

C.

Fortunately Miner was remarkably well photographed

Electrotren chassis would do for this...

post-29975-0-47359700-1525811585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 6

Having grown up in that part of the world, I highly recommend walking the parts of the railway converted to footpaths around Saundersfoot, Wiseman's Bridge and Stepaside, especially the tunnel through the cliff.

In my youth I cycled the farm track from above Kilgetty towards Bonville's Court colliery.  The mud in the lane (50 years after closure of the railway) was so abrasive with coal dust, my speedo drive wheel was worn smooth and unusable afterwards.

Soon another (short) section of the trackbed will be walkable as a footpath is currently being installed on the section between Saundersfoot station and Fan Road.

post-17261-0-27751100-1525963496_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-09486800-1525963567_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-18781400-1525963644_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-89659600-1525963729_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-75024700-1525963805_thumb.jpgThe latest with my Rivarossi Bash.

The initial, very rough incarnation was, to all intents and purposes, a K1 stuffed on a compact 2-8-0 chassis.

It looked, too much like a K1!!!

I cleaned up the boiler and what part of the footplate I was using and made sure it sat down better on the chassis. looked a lot better, but that cab?!!!

Enter the origional Italian cab. 

It looked far more primitive than that comfy Eastern cab!! It also works with the big boiler. At least I think it does!

This is where it stands at the moment.

There is still a lot of detail work to, is she left or right hand drive? mechanical or steam reverser? 

The front footplate needs sorting out. 

Do I keep the lights on the bufferbeam?

Then comes 'Yer Mans' idea about tender drive with a cardan shaft!!!

The picture of the naked chassis makes it clear that I could remove the motor and use the final drive as is!!

I'm staying in the North East with my mate Coachbogie a week on Friday,for the Middlesborough Modex, I'll endeavour to get a message to Chris from High Level about drives!!

The problem is, what started as an experiment has become a monster!!!

A really great monster but a monster nontheless!!!!

The tender will be only slightly mucked about with!

Unless it ends up with a motor in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And because I have been bitten by this Hack Them Up And See bug!!! How about this 45 year old Fleishmann chassis?

The shot with the Barclay and the Beast' gives a size comparison.

Right, it is 16-00, I've got Butterflied Mackrell salad and 'tates to cook for tea.

I'm in work at 05-00 on the airport tomorrow so I'm gone!

Chris!!

• Like 3

IMG_20180510_150825.jpg IMG_20180510_150924.jpg IMG_20180510_150959.jpg IMG_20180510_151747.jpg IMG_20180510_151809.jpgThe latest with my Rivarossi Bash.

The initial, very rough incarnation was, to all intents and purposes, a K1 stuffed on a compact 2-8-0 chassis.

I cleaned up the boiler and what part of the footplate I was using and made sure it sat down better on the chassis. looked a lot better, but that cab?!!!

It looked far more primitive than that comfy Eastern cab!! It also works with the big boiler. At least I think it does!

There is still a lot of detail work to, is she left or right hand drive? mechanical or steam reverser?

The picture of the naked chassis makes it clear that I could remove the motor and use the final drive as is!!

I'm staying in the North East with my mate Coachbogie a week on Friday,for the Middlesborough Modex, I'll endeavour to get a message to Chris from High Level about drives!!

And because I have been bitten by this Hack Them Up And See bug!!! How about this 45 year old Fleishmann chassis?

Right, it is 16-00, I've got Butterflied Mackrell salad and 'tates to cook for tea.

Chris!!

Wow, that is a real beast isn't it? Makes me somewhat proud that I helped inspire it. Love the proportions of it all.

• 2 weeks later...

post-34405-0-76097000-1526892373.jpg

This is Joan, who's nameplates have just arrived from Narrow Planet.  Clearly a a pugbash and subject of my first post on this forum. Joan has a chimney and buffers from the lamented Mainly Trains. Other parts like the whistle and safety valves were from the parts box or plasticard. Her livery is a bit ornate for the National Coal Board but she is a "pet" loco.

She needs a DCC Chip, replacement couplings and the nameplates fitting. She's seen here outside the screens of Gwynraven Colliery on some (deliberately) badly laid track.  To cope with this, I am going to try and fit 4 extra sliding pick-ups under the cylinders and cab steps to help overcome stalling. I saw this on a 2mm scale forum but if it fails,a second set of pick-ups in a permanently attached wagon will do.  Sorry about the random wires in the pic!

She'll be shedded at Gwynraven Colliery's NCB Shed with much larger motive power and I hope to be sharing more of my South Wales layout through these pages soon.

• Like 15

attachicon.gifIMG_9224.JPG

This is Joan, who's nameplates have just arrived from Narrow Planet.  Clearly a a pugbash and subject of my first post on this forum. Joan has a chimney and buffers from the lamented Mainly Trains. Other parts like the whistle and safety valves were from the parts box or plasticard. Her livery is a bit ornate for the National Coal Board but she is a "pet" loco.

She needs a DCC Chip, replacement couplings and the nameplates fitting. She's seen here outside the screens of Gwynraven Colliery on some (deliberately) badly laid track.  To cope with this, I am going to try and fit 4 extra sliding pick-ups under the cylinders and cab steps to help overcome stalling. I saw this on a 2mm scale forum but if it fails,a second set of pick-ups in a permanently attached wagon will do.  Sorry about the random wires in the pic!

She'll be shedded at Gwynraven Colliery's NCB Shed with much larger motive power and I hope to be sharing more of my South Wales layout through these pages soon.

Very fine! Lovely attention to detail in the livery. How was the lining done? Look forward to hearing how you get on with adding the extra pickups. 

Alan

seen here outside the screens of Gwynraven Colliery on some (deliberately) badly laid track.  To cope with this, I am going to try and fit 4 extra sliding pick-ups under the cylinders and cab steps to help overcome stalling. I saw this on a 2mm scale forum but if it fails,a second set of pick-ups in a permanently attached wagon will do.  Sorry about the random wires in the pic!

An ideal environment...and, an ideal candidate. for radio control, and rechargeable battery power, perhaps?    No pickup worries with RC.

attachicon.gifIMG_9224.JPG

Beautiful little Peckett there! Well done!

Very fine! Lovely attention to detail in the livery. How was the lining done? Look forward to hearing how you get on with adding the extra pickups. 

Alan

Lining is always tricky isn't it! I did Joan with HMRS Pressfix GWR lining and a large scotch.

An ideal environment...and, an ideal candidate. for radio control, and rechargeable battery power, perhaps?    No pickup worries with RC.

Not sure where I'd put the battery and if it had to go in a wagon, I'd be just as well using the wagon as extra pickups......

So I finally found my way to the back of the storage unit and pulled out my South Wales Stock.So here is the official portrait of Joan, a freelance 0-4-0 pugbash in the style of a Peckett.

post-34405-0-67323200-1527500293_thumb.jpg

post-34405-0-97359700-1527500308_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my "Kerr Stuart ish" 0-4-0 again. It's my first attempt at building a loco from bits. It sits on a much chopped up Hornby "Percy" chassis which runs amazingly well with tweaking and ballast (old redundant lead type). The saddle tank is cut down from a Hornby "Smokey Joe" body, the chassis of which now runs around under my Grandson's "Percy". I purloined the "Percy" chassis as the Chinese chassis seems to be much better than the Margate one. The rear body work and the additions at the front are either brass sheet or nickel silver scrap etch. The glazing is courtesy of Krystal Kleer. The rather over-sized slide bars are Hornby 28xx spares, and the cylinders are from an abandoned NG kit.

The camera is a cruel teller of truths 1f642.png:) but I'm very fond of this little engine and I'm looking forward to building some slate wagons for it to pull around.

• Like 6

attachicon.gifIMG_20180510_150825.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180510_150924.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180510_150959.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180510_151747.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180510_151809.jpgThe latest with my Rivarossi Bash.

Chris!!

Gosh! I love that Rivarossi 2-8-0 Consolidation. It's like a freelance 2-8-0 brought to life!

36063748_1725027384241573_49649470742284

A OO9 0-6-0 of no real origin. Dapol Pug Footplate and saddle tank, Hornby 700 chimney, Bachmann J72 cab and a Bachmann USA 0-8-0 chassis.

Big, brutish, horrible and probably not something that would work in real life. Doesn't mean I don't like it however.  :onthequiet:

• Like 10

I wanted to post my little work in progress, but it’s all scratch built so wouldn’t count... and then I remembered, the wheels are from an old Smokey Joe!

Project is stalled for a moment while I’m waiting for a disc cutter to arrive.

post-34113-0-25314000-1529794641_thumb.jpeg

post-34113-0-36204900-1529794673_thumb.jpeg

This is an awesome thread by the way, very inspiring and clever conversions in here.

• Like 3

36063748_1725027384241573_49649470742284

A OO9 0-6-0 of no real origin. Dapol Pug Footplate and saddle tank, Hornby 700 chimney, Bachmann J72 cab and a Bachmann USA 0-8-0 chassis.

Big, brutish, horrible and probably not something that would work in real life. Doesn't mean I don't like it however.  :onthequiet:

looks just like the Hudswell 0-8-0 in Riga

post-9948-0-01849500-1529940418.jpg

post-9948-0-93896600-1529940426.jpg

• Like 9

I love the variety in this thread. And the imagination which drives it.

Here's my attempt at a suggestion of slidebar/crosshead on the  Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. Mostly brass wire, tube and scrap etch. The cylinders are cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil. Not too accurate but it works

P5251662.jpg.5dba79e3f3e71226926b06163d60a127.jpg

P5251655.jpg.feb53a7c8a1223fb7fdf11a8e38a0c71.jpg

P6251750.jpg.9c277823255799a74d7960e5bef64fcf.jpg

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1