Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

Auto trailers being hauled by non auto fitted locos as ordinary coaches, as here, was not uncommon, and photos of my area and period, mostly of Abergwynfi in the 50s, show 57xx hauling trailers about as often as auto fitted 4575s.  This may have been because Tondu does not seem to have had the number of auto fitted locos it should have at any one time to work services on 5 separate branch lines (Porthcawl, Abergwynfi, Blaengarw until 1952, Ogmore Vale, and Gilfach Goch) even if two of them shared a train. but operating like this is definitely prototypical.  

A rarer situation is an auto fitted loco with auto stock working in non-auto mode, usually because of difficulty connecting the linkage

It can cause problems in the timetable if the auto service has a turnaround time at the terminus that does not allow for running around, and my WTT incorporates this for all trains, scheduled auto workings included.  10 minutes is standard; arrive, detrain passengers, shut doors, set back to clear run around move, uncouple, run around, couple up, perform brake continuity test (never shove the coaches back without stopping for this) and set back into platform so passengers don't have to walk far from the station entrance.  Place tail lamp on rear and loco lamp on front (now the bunker end). wait for the road, and right away Bridgend, on time!

Even an auto fitted loco could not be hauling that auto trailer in auto mode, though, as of course the van did not have the auto control linkage.  It is summer, obviously from the trees, so the van's lack of a steam heating through pipe is not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

That's an absolute cracker

Funny thing taking pictures, everything looks the same, feels the same and then a picture pops out that ticks all the boxes...

Thanks

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Funny thing taking pictures, everything looks the same, feels the same and then a picture pops out that ticks all the boxes...

Thanks

I think it's the eye-line. Like your shot on the previous page looking up the field to the Dean Goods, those are the shots that really replicate what you would see as a person standing in the layout.

I have always tried to photograph my layouts from as low as possible to try and capture this, with varying degrees of success. But when, as above, you get it right, it really ticks the boxes.

Superb shot,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I think it's the eye-line. Like your shot on the previous page looking up the field to the Dean Goods, those are the shots that really replicate what you would see as a person standing in the layout.

I have always tried to photograph my layouts from as low as possible to try and capture this, with varying degrees of success. But when, as above, you get it right, it really ticks the boxes.

Superb shot,

Al.

I agree with you.

The more at eye line you can take, or below of course, then the more realistic it becomes.

But sometimes, the light, the angle, the reflection, the setting can all come together to give you the result.

Hence, why I can take dozens of shots but only a few see the light of day....the rest just don't work so get discarded.

Thanks for your comment

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

They are beautiful pics with the little stories that give this life of its own. 

(It also stops a dyed in the wool SR man from teasing his GW friends and has him directing them here :laugh_mini: ).

• Thanks 1

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:14, KNP said:

Quick aerial view as they swing out onto the main line.

1822.jpg.b52a34becba461e2e84293f7b4193de8.jpg

That crate really is posing a problem as they are obviously working on a Sunday to try and resolve the issue! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

After the hassle of getting 2322 off to the loco works (well storage box actually)….

Life has returned to normal, well I say normal caught nearly every carriage out and about in one place.

1824.jpg.0474180eadb0f539275b43b2881b1459.jpg

There's only the clerestory's missing.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

And finally on this busy carriage day, one taken from the back of the layout looking towards the curve of the branch line to Little Muddle

1826.jpg.a3dfbb4b60aa6f637544156d4ef13b9a.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

I see you've painted the new Hornby coaches with black roofs as well, haven't summed up the courage to do mine yet

They are sort of a hybrid black using various mixtures starting with Vallejo Medium Sea Grey as the base then adding Lifecolor Roof Dirt, Vallejo Black Grey, London Grey as the mood dictated and not cleaning the brush out so the colours sort of merged.....

Then dry brushing Vallejo Light Mud to make the raised areas stand out, or either from one side of the roof to the other to give a tonal variation.

A mist coat of Dullcote before I started only to find the two I had where giving a sheen!!!!.

Luckily after a visit from Mr Bonwick yesterday, who brought some Dullcote with him that was actually Matt I been able to sort the roofs out this morning so now they have lost most of their sheen.

Regarding the roof finish in a nutshell

Basically I made it up as I went along!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 18/03/2019 at 16:20, Benbow said:

That crate really is posing a problem as they are obviously working on a Sunday to try and resolve the issue! :lol:

Did you say working? I'm not sure much of that has happened for quite some while.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, KNP said:

Removed the black end cover the conceals the exit hole at Encombe Station and tried a new view for the camera with the lens resting on the track.

This will appear from time to time under the working title of.

'Looking through the keyhole'

That's a great new angle Kevin.  Wonderful shot.  Look forward to more.

(Obviously ex-broad gauge judging by the gap between up and down lines!)

John C.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, checkrail said:

That's a great new angle Kevin.  Wonderful shot.  Look forward to more.

(Obviously ex-broad gauge judging by the gap between up and down lines!)

John C.

Optical illusion!