Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Back to one of my usual shots.

Over at Encombe Town all action as the express pulls away and auto train waits for any passengers

1780.jpg.54f9a62b3aa7970ccd1444d2e72169b6.jpg

I hope the loco superintendent doesn't noticed that his driver is about to pass a signal at danger - and I'd guess the Guard will be for the high jump as well for giving the driver the "right away"  :jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Benbow said:

Runner beans.....they are the ones that run up poles :rolleyes: 

The poles aren't tall enough for runners...

Broad beans do need some support but they typically only reach about 5ft, whereas runners will go 8-10ft if you let them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Have you seen Alan's new range of GWR loco figures ?

MODELU.jpg.e8d56a58b0bf84f4f24c8c70dcf8a1eb.jpg

Have now, haven't looked on his site for a week or two so I take it these are new additions, or did I just miss them?

All my loco's are crewed now so I will have to buy some more to add these!!!

What I will be getting is some of the Town & Country range of figures and possibly a policeman. 

In response to certain rumours started by the owner of ANTB the crew of Prairie 4550 wish it to be known that they do exist and are in excellent health.

So they have posed for a quick picture this afternoon to dispel any concerns about their wellbeing or existence.

IMG_0978.JPG.c99345347893b245491bffb497a0203c.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

In response to certain rumours started by the owner of ANTB the crew of Prairie 4550 wish it to be known that they do exist and are in excellent health.

So they have posed for a quick picture this afternoon to dispel any concerns about their wellbeing or existence.

IMG_0978.JPG.32a8385822937452ed76883540113ef1.JPG

See you've got that ruddy fog we had yesterday...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Kev,

seeing your crew so close up on the Prairie, it brings home what a tight area the footplate was on these locos.

I'd been wondering about adding crew while fitting sound (in boiler) and Stay alive (in bunker). The design of the Bachmann cab doesn't leave much room for manoeuver WRT placing crew after you have some wires running front to back.

I was struggling to place some crew before adding the sound, even gave thought about detailing the cab front but it's totally invisible in such a closed space.

What does look good is the YouChoos firebox glow, a winner with the Grandchildren,

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
minor edit
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

OK, ready for first passenger run after out shopping.

Now have we got every thing?

I just have the niggly doubt in the back of my mind that something has been left behind!

No, I can't think what it is, I expect I'll remember when we couple up and set off...….

IMG_0976.JPG.5bb2ff8e0fb71b29ba10a6df0c05b26a.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7
  • Funny 7

Couple of Collett coaches nearing completion, a few things I'm still mulling over so will let these dry thoroughly whilst I get on with the third one.

1792.jpg.e4dec65022b2a22d457e92e493e2cb8e.jpg

The roof is causing me the most concern as I can't quite get it match what I can see in my minds eye.

One concern of this era is the lack of colour pictures so what I have done is to set the camera on monochrome and taken some pictures to check with tonal variations against old B&W pictures

1791.jpg.9716077e6551d9e55632cecf88ea4b66.jpg

I have the Michael Harris book on GW coaches and on page 20 is a superb view of Old Oak carriage sidings in 1939 and the shade variations between the dozens of coaches is amazing.

My plan is that not one coach will have exactly the same shade as the other.

I acknowledge that if the coaches stayed together as a set then they should weather the same but that appears to not always be correct, sometimes there are subtle differences.

You never know, I might finish them think....yuk....and then repaint them all sooty black??? It has been known!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The coaches might weather differently depending how far they are from the loco.

Agree plus you would have to take into account the inconsistency of both paint manufacture and application then there would be the difference in chemical reaction between the lead compound and loco smoke. 

All I suspect could be slightly different as well.

• Agree 5

8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I like the dead tree. Was that a fortuitous find from the garden? I have a tupperware box of dead garden bits I hope to make strategic use of later on.

I have a large bag of broken pieces of sagebrush that I use both like this or to add additional branches to the prime trees to increase there spread.

On 03/03/2019 at 07:55, KNP said:
On 03/03/2019 at 07:55, KNP said:

I acknowledge that if the coaches stayed together as a set then they should weather the same but that appears to not always be correct, sometimes there are subtle differences.

I'm in the belief that coaches would have been swopped about at different stages of their life, so you would have huge differences in colour.  

• Agree 3

A few years ago now I came across a beautiful shrub at a seaside jetty that was ideal for tree making. (Old knarled stunted sea swept thing) Went back a week later and it was gone, the local council had it removed. I did manage to use and make a few small trees out of what I did get. I'm also lucky that a lot of lichens and other mosses grow not far from us, as well as real seamoss. Due to quarantine restrictions in Australia, we can not import any plant material living or dead that you can use.

Tex. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Third roof done but I'm not totally convinced that it looks right.

Options appreciated, whatever they are!

1793.jpg.24d351da90afb83d5d33aea97ac3b991.jpg

1794.jpg.e27a58a2962a0efb7c9748783487cc28.jpg

I suspect I will do what I normally do and park it for another day...

I am having one problem and that is I had 2 new tins of Dullcote left, about 6mths old and both are not drying matt, they have a slight sheen.

Done everything, warm room, shook the can till my arm dropped off, and light mist coats, leaving 30+ mins between next coat, but not as matt as previously.

Anybody else had that problem?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2