Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, KNP said:

I am having one problem and that is I had 2 new tins of Dullcote left, about 6mths old and both are not drying matt, they have a slight sheen.

Done everything, warm room, shook the can till my arm dropped off, and light mist coats, leaving 30+ mins between next coat, but not as matt as previously.

Anybody else had that problem?

I have not (yet) had that problem with Dullcote, either spray can or brush applied, though I do remember a couple of years or so ago that one chap recommended it precisely because he said the finish had a slight sheen.  But I've had it loads of times with other supposedly 'matt' products.  Just today I've been giving tree trunks a Humbrol dark green wash.  It dries with a sheen so will need a matt varnish.  Dullcote?

John C.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I have not (yet) had that problem with Dullcote, either spray can or brush applied, though I do remember a couple of years or so ago that one chap recommended it precisely because he said the finish had a slight sheen.  But I've had it loads of times with other supposedly 'matt' products.  Just today I've been giving tree trunks a Humbrol dark green wash.  It dries with a sheen so will need a matt varnish.  Dullcote?

John C.

After years of using the stuff this is first time I recall ever having a problem.

5 hours ago, KNP said:

After years of using the stuff this is first time I recall ever having a problem.

Tamiya clear matte finish in spray can is now my "go to" final dull coat. I do a lot of painting and decaling with my North American side of the hobby and use it extensively. For small brush painted objects such as figures I use Vallejo Acrylic Matte Varnish 70.520. Testors Model Masters spray paints in North America market 196003 CLEAR FLAT  as Lusterless Flat Lacquer Overcoat as a replacement/alternative for their dullcoat. I have not seen any problem with the Dullcoat finishes I sprayed many years ago. It's just I try to avoid Testors since they are now part of the massive Rustoleum conglomerate empire.

Edited by autocoach
expand
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, autocoach said:

Tamiya clear matte finish in spray can is now my "go to" final dull coat. I do a lot of painting and decaling with my North American side of the hobby and use it extensively.

I'll give it a try once I can source some and post results.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Bogie said:

If the inertia over at the dairy is any indication I suspect those crates will be there for a long time yet!

True...

What worries me is that if you look on the delivery label it appears they are also due to be delivered there!!!

I wonder if it is a boxed up crane that needs unpacking so it can be reassembled to lift the crate of the lorry...…...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think all the packing cases have arrived yet if it is indeed a Coles mobile crane of 1935 vintage!

660600C8-20CA-44E8-8FF2-0E726EF77D31.png.62edcd6938051105f50fc2ed42fd5640.png

I think your roof weathering is convincing - it might be interesting to compare a black and white version of your pictures with contemporary photos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Must do something with those crates, I just plonked them there a while back and they seem to have taken root!!

Those crates look really good.  Very hard to get a convincing finish for unpainted wood, unless it's old and grey, as I've just discovered when adding some wagon loads.  What colours or techniques did you use?

(Going back to matt finishes I found another dud yesterday.  Painted a couple of coach ends with Precision 'dirty black' just to see how it performed.  Had a sheen on it when dry, so back to Lifecolor weathered black, which never lets me down.)

John C.

Crates where just painted in Vallejo old wood then a few weak washes of Lifecolor weathered black.

The Lifecolor weathered black is very convincing but I have found that the Vallejo black grey also gives nearly the same result. It's what all the black plastic was painted with for King Stephen and the Collett coach underframe/bogies.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2018 at 14:40, KNP said:

The new crew from Modelu are now resident in the cab of 2322.

post-8925-0-98010900-1537015112_thumb.jpg

it took a bit of alteration work to get the engine driver to fit as I wanted but he's home now.

Found it! Nicely done, getting him to fit around the reversing lever is a bit of a challenge. Also for the real crews!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2019 at 14:28, KNP said:

I am having one problem and that is I had 2 new tins of Dullcote left, about 6mths old and both are not drying matt, they have a slight sheen.

Hi Kevin,

I did have a similar problem last year using the rattle can Dullcote, even though conditions were good, since then I have started to use Tamiya Matt Coat through my airbrush with more satisfactory results and slightly cheaper too.

G

p.s. my Dullcote cans were bought as "shop fresh" following a new delivery and used within a couple of days.

Edited by bgman
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

getting him to fit around the reversing lever is a bit of a challenge. Also for the real crews!

Its not much different on my 7mm model either !

Yours,

Ben D. Legg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’ve been standing on the overbridge at Encombe all morning but I haven’t spotted any new numbers. I’m going home for lunch.

You missed it, I'm so sorry.....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, KNP said:

Plan to renumber 8701 and add some of the new Modelu GWR figures...

Alan's service is superb as my order for some came today after I ordered them late Friday afternoon.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Stan Dare, the local artist, happened to be sitting on the roof of the derelict house when 8700 steamed past.

He has just sent me a quick sketch he did..

1800.jpg.c360e3cb9096c8c717379e8f79ec314c.jpg

Time to sort some crew.....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Crew ordered from Modelu, couldn't make my mind up so through caution to the wind and ordered the lot....!

Least I'll have some crew ready for the next three loco's!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KNP said:

Squadron Leader heard of the new arrival so did a very low level pass of the yard.

1801.jpg.62d914b08432b21918244c70d9d5a19d.jpg

Great pic Kevin, at first I thought you'd left your Glasses case in the foreground.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5