Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Great pic Kevin, at first I thought you'd left your Glasses case in the foreground.

That was original dinghy that came with the Misty steam drifter model, before I decided to use an open one.

I sort of placed it here ages ago and it seems to fit so I have left it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

Inspired by the way you have painted your coach roofs Vallejo grey black, I have purchased a bottle myself.

When applying it with a brush do you use it straight from the bottle or do you thin it, with water?

I cant answer for Kevin, but I use it with a brush straight from the bottle and never had an issue with it. 

I also use the same base colour with a few shades of brown mixed in as a good underframe colour.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

Inspired by the way you have painted your coach roofs Vallejo grey black, I have purchased a bottle myself.

When applying it with a brush do you use it straight from the bottle or do you thin it, with water?

I take it straight from the bottle, a couple of coats gives depth. Sum times I might dip the brush in water and mix in the paint to 'loosen it up a bit'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

My advice, though its not worth much, would be to use some acrylic thinners, not water. They really make the paint a lot more versatile and allow several very thin coats, removing the brush-painted effect.

Finer modellers than I have also said you can use it straight from the bottle which is true. It depends on the job.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

You may also wish to buy it as a wash in the Vallejos range or create your own by thinning it as Martin S-C suggests. Using this method will eleviate the usual brush marks generally.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, bgman said:

You may also wish to buy it as a wash in the Vallejos range or create your own by thinning it as Martin S-C suggests. Using this method will eleviate the usual brush marks generally.

That got me thinking of how different (or similar) is a wash product from/to a very thinned down acrylic paint? My assumption (from ignorance really) is that a wash is designed to do quite a different job which is to employ surface tension to creep into corners, crevices and recesses, while a paint is designed to provide overall coverage. Even thinning down a paint should still give you overall coverage, just less thickly.

Some experimentation is called for!

• Agree 2

In essence I agree with you but a thinned acrylic paint can be made to creep about a model by slightly wetting the surface first so an osmosis effect ensues and all the edges, corners etc attract the paint.

The other thing I have found with proprietary washes is that they don't always dry matt where as a matt paint thinned will....

The beauty of thinning a paint is that you can determine intensity of the coverage from the beginning and build up as you proceed.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm a big user of washes to build up the required colours or weathering, but I mostly use Humbrol acrylics diluted with water to a 10:1 or more ratio.

I agree with Kev that if you want a matt finish, then diluted matt paints work better than commercially available washes.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Before starting on 8700 (to 8701) and then of course working on the split chassis/chip installation I thought I ought to get some books on the Pannier so I know what is what.....

IMG_0980.JPG.06de75d58fb031371e9dca7b9da2600d.JPG

Very nice pictures inside and timelines for each loco.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

One likes a challenge plus I like the look of the loco.....I'm even toying with the idea of removing the top feed pipework!

See, I now know what I'm talking about now I've got these books?

Edited by KNP
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

The tale of two pictures......

1804.jpg.71ba025765a22db0e468000005d50744.jpg

1805.jpg.60097f6dc5ab812987f276323b6733e6.jpg

I must say, Jimmy doesn't seem to concerned but then he does have his flat cap on

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Before starting on 8700 (to 8701) and then of course working on the split chassis/chip installation I thought I ought to get some books on the Pannier so I know what is what.....

Very nice pictures inside and timelines for each loco.

You'll be also needing the one on the 16xx class when Model Rail open their ordering book soon.:read:

8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You'll be also needing the one on the 16xx class when Model Rail open their ordering book soon.:read:

If memory serves weren't they built in the late 40's, bit late for Little Muddle.

But they didn't have top feed pipework...…!