DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

What about people that model preserved lines with no turntable?

And running with a pilot loco  :sungum:

Or two kings or three kings  :superman:

Fair enough, put me on the naughty step.

A quick Google search also found this quote

"Do not be misled by 'model railway experts' saying the GWR always put assistant engines on passenger trains inside the train engine - that is a very misleading representation of a far more complex picture which depended on the size of engine of driving wheels, the engine's wheel arrangement, and whatever sorts of assistant were authorised at particular places.  Gradients were particularly relevant in that generally - and I suspect with only very rare exceptions or only over very short distances - it was not permitted to assist passenger trains from the rear over falling gradients.  Equally there were restrictions on the manner of assisting freights if there were any particular sections of rising gradient which involved a falling gradient."

Apparently double headed kings were quite possible heading from Newton Abbot to Plymouth. At some point during the 1950s it was normal to take the king off the down Cornish Riviera at Newton Abbot and replace it with a pair of locos that could be used all the way to Penzance. The spare king would then work down to Plymouth by double heading the next westbound express to Plymouth. If the train engine from Paddington was a king on that next express then there would be double headed kings. So we all need to buy two kings!

• Like 4

I thought when double heading the GWR put the pilot between the train loco and the train.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Reading_General_double-headed_geograph-2905648-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Steven B.

This has already been covered further up the thread. In BR days it seems the pilot loco mostly went on the front, as numerous photos attest to.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, put me on the naughty step.

No need togo to the naughty step Rob - the working of two 'King' Class engines coupled together was not permitted prior to October 1948 and it was never permitted to run more than two 'Kings' coupled together.  So in ANTB times it would only be a single 'King' so you're spot on ;)

• RMweb Gold

A quick Google search also found this quote

"Do not be misled by 'model railway experts' saying the GWR always put assistant engines on passenger trains inside the train engine - that is a very misleading representation of a far more complex picture which depended on the size of engine of driving wheels, the engine's wheel arrangement, and whatever sorts of assistant were authorised at particular places.  Gradients were particularly relevant in that generally - and I suspect with only very rare exceptions or only over very short distances - it was not permitted to assist passenger trains from the rear over falling gradients.  Equally there were restrictions on the manner of assisting freights if there were any particular sections of rising gradient which involved a falling gradient."

Ooh, I just love being quoted. (even if Google didn't ask me)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks very nice. Recognisable as GWR condition before the various upgrades BR gave the class in their final decade. It confirms that the CAD seems to have captured the proportions of the prototype very well.

Good proportions but later pattern steam pipe to the outside cylinders and what on the tender looks remarkably like the electronics box for TPWS etc .

• RMweb Gold

I think this was printed 25% larger to allow the details to be easier checked, if I remember correctly?

Overall it shows great promise, although I do spy recesses for the cabside number plates  :nono:

Tom.  

• 2 weeks later...

More than that, I would assume that there has not been much movement on the order numbers. Trouble is, there is no funding deadline and no incentive to risk a deposit until we get close to critical numbers. DJM's lack of fulfilment on other projects is a further dampener. 

He cannot come up with news every few weeks. These projects take at least a few months between steps.

On the other hand, the marketing effort seems a little low. Unless you know DJM or the RMweb, you are not likely to hear about the project.

Maybe his next show, a few weeks away will bring some news and/or make some additional people aware.

I suspect stuff is happening behind the scenes. Remember we have just had Christmas and new year whilst Chinese new year is in 2 weeks, both of which are probably slowing things down. I am sure Dave will share more info with us when he has stuff worth sharing.

Remember that we have been spoiled by Dave's level of interaction in the past compared to the likes of Bachmann. Whilst a blow-by-blow account of progress would be nice, I am happy to accept that work is progressing and we will find out more when there is something substantial to update us about.