Dapol announces O gauge BR 20T Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

Osgod, my understanding is that grey BVs were always unfitted.  Bauxite BVs, esp. BR built ones, would have been mostly through piped, with a relatively small number fitted (according to Geoff Kent).  I think it likely that grey or bauxite BVs would be seen on unfitted trains.  Then again, apart from minerals, unfitted trains were becoming quite rare by the mid 60s I think.

John

• Like 1

I hadn't even thought they might just be through-piped. But it makes sense as the vac braking would have normally been controlled by the locomotive.

Many thanks John.

Tony

I started on the railway in the late seventies and was around BV's regularly but I cannot ever remember seeing one fitted (although I know some were because Paul B has photos!) all the 'fitted' ones I saw were through pipes with a brake valve.

In case anyone else is wondering about liveries, I just www'd brake van liveries which took me to a thread on here a while back on the very topic:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40849-br-brake-van-liveries/

Not only that, but I realise I have a copy of the book recommended on that thread by Paul Bartlett for BV liveries:

https://hmrs.org.uk/british-railways-brakevans-ballast-ploughs.html

Thanks all.

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold

Do we know what purpose the AVB BVs served?

John

Not much and hardly ever; that's why they stopped fitting it after (IIRC) only one batch had been built.

It was obviously of no use without the whole train being fully braked/piped and just a pipe and control valve was sufficient if the train was fully fitted.

They were presumably built that way to conform with a "policy decision" taken somewhere on high. 

However, there may have been some specified duties rostered to them, photographs suggesting that the Southern Region containerised meat traffic from North Devon usually seems to have had one attached, quite often an ex-LNER example.  

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

I kind of thought that someone in BR management had an out of box moment, realising that AVB gear served little purpose and that through piping was adequate.

My Slaters 20T van is built as ex LNER with AVB.

John

Just checked with Antics and they said they were given the wrong information and are now expected in next couple of months

Quelle surprise! Dapol seem to drive some model shops mad. Dapols communications are truly awful, no other phrase for it.

Looks like a good BV though.

Thanks for your update though.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 1 month later...

The air braked ones were used on trains which needed propelling moves, such as the MGR trains to Fiddlers Ferry, which had to change direction twice at Warrington. For obvious reasons, the guard needed to be able to apply the train's air brakes.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The air braked ones were used on trains which needed propelling moves, such as the MGR trains to Fiddlers Ferry, which had to change direction twice at Warrington. For obvious reasons, the guard needed to be able to apply the train's air brakes.

Jeff

I kind of thought that someone in BR management had an out of box moment, realising that AVB gear served little purpose and that through piping was adequate.

My Slaters 20T van is built as ex LNER with AVB.

John

I started on the railway in the late seventies and was around BV's regularly but I cannot ever remember seeing one fitted (although I know some were because Paul B has photos!) all the 'fitted' ones I saw were through pipes with a brake valve.

I cannot recall any that were vacuum fitted, but there were air braked fitted vans!  In modelling terms, a vacuum piped only vehicle has bauxite livery the same as a fitted one, but the brake pipe is painted white instead of the red that denoted a fitted one; brake van vacuum pipes should normally be painted white.

Air brake pipes were painted red for the train pipe and yellow for the reservoir pipe.

I cannot recall any that were vacuum fitted, but there were air braked fitted vans!  In modelling terms, a vacuum piped only vehicle has bauxite livery the same as a fitted one, but the brake pipe is painted white instead of the red that denoted a fitted one; brake van vacuum pipes should normally be painted white.

Air brake pipes were painted red for the train pipe and yellow for the reservoir pipe.

There were several batches with vacuum brakes - they are in Eric Gents book published by the HMRS. Just one example http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506/e2d0fe095

The question remains interesting, why have a vacuum braked van and not simply through piped with internal gauge?

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was an apprentice at chart leacon, and we had a brakevan in. We had to isolate the vacuum cylinder, so we split the flange off the brake pipe, inserted a couple of cripple cards and re tightened. Vacuum isolated, then painted the pipes white. I don’t know if this was one that was used between Dover and Paddock wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks as if Dapol are going to beat me to the release after all! Just awaiting new duckets configured with double glazed glass panels, verandah windows and external doors. Roof covering will be flat roofing vinyl material and she’ll be painted in late Bauxite. On with the internals, first fix leccy and ironmongery. Phew.

post-14090-0-65965200-1538938924_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well, it looks as if Dapol are going to beat me to the release after all! Just awaiting new duckets configured with double glazed glass panels, verandah windows and external doors. Roof covering will be flat roofing vinyl material and she’ll be painted in late Bauxite. On with the internals, first fix leccy and ironmongery. Phew.

attachicon.gif941FDA05-9419-48B2-8A55-0A6D805A73FC.jpeg

Now that is a cracking garden shed.

Rob

A very simple question for some of you I hope. From the list below which would be most suitable for the 1958 - 1962 Steam period.

Dapol List.

Product Code Description MRP

7F-200-001 B951771 Grey CAO £79.95

7F-200-002 B952182 Grey £79.95

7F-200-003 B953095 Grey £79.95

7F-200-004 B951224 Bauxite CAP £79.95

7F-200-005 B952042 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-006 B952978 Bauxite £79.95

7F-200-007 Unnumbered Grey £79.95

7F-200-008 Unnumbered Bauxite £79.95

Thanking you in anticipation.

A very simple question for some of you I hope. From the list below which would be most suitable for the 1958 - 1962 Steam period.

Dapol List.

Not possible to say until photos of the finished product is available. Those based on my photos are all from 1970s onwards, but may be returnable to earlier livery

Paul

Dapol List.

Be careful when ordering.  I ordered 7F-200-005 (bauxite) based on the notification email and discovered just too late that the stock number is, in fact, grey.  I called Hattons who said they'd try to stop the parcel but it's in the van already.

John

Be careful when ordering.  I ordered 7F-200-005 (bauxite) based on the notification email and discovered just too late that the stock number is, in fact, grey.  I called Hattons who said they'd try to stop the parcel but it's in the van already.

John

Everywhere seems to be advertising this as 'Bauxite' including the Dapol catalogue, maybe its the notification email that's wrong?