CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Larry

Having made my own track in the past (C&L and copper clad sleeper points and track) I decided to go with Peco track for Penmaenpool in order to hasten the completion of the project.  Which will still take years.  The Marcway solution is a good one but I for one would rather see you speed onwards to completion.  Your example stimulates many of us, of that I am sure!

And I really like that back scene.  It might work for Penmaenpool except above the nearby 3D terrain would be the forbidding north face of Cadar Idris, not exactly the rolling hills around the Berwyns!

Paul

• Like 5

Peco points are surprisingly agreeable to a small amount of bending, for want of a better word.  

As evidenced many times by LNER4479, including here, it is possible to gently persuade Peco points to take up a more prototypical curveyness if that is what is required.

Anyway, don't mind me.  I just have a weird thing about using the curved leg of a turnout as the main :)  No idea why, Dr Freud might have a theory.

Pay attention you guys at the back. I have been curving Peco points on most of my previous layouts.  :biggrin_mini2:

I have been having fun (not) with Digitrains ZS012 sound..... 

Bought  four ZS012 in 2016.

PGH ordered another ZS012 three months ago for the 64XX and it was a different sound and far better.

Well impressed, I ordered another ZS012 two weeks ago for a 46XX and it came as a ZS012A and is different again!

I'm confused, as I only wanted to buy more of the ones sold to PGH.

The darned whistle is written into the program and it sounds every time the loco re-starts or reverses!  Bad idea.

After spending all morning readjusting Keydee couplings and magnets, this video was shot as a test for shunting. The loco has to stop over the magnet, more forward a touch to put the coupling in the 'delayed uncoupling' position, and then carry on. F-Key No.2 activates the steam brake. I left it on during shunting to remove momentum....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I think it was Andy Y who suggested I try the vinyl self-adhesive version of ID  Backscenes a few years ago when I was building Greenfield Junction (I was struggling with the card-backed backscenes and paste at the time). I must say these vinyl type were an absolute doddle to put up....

The join between the baseboard scenery and backscene will be sorted later....

I have one of these (all be it just plain sky) to fit to Brent,

Out of interest what surface did to stick the back scene to and did you do any surface prep first?

Thanks

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I have one of these (all be it just plain sky) to fit to Brent,

Out of interest what surface did to stick the back scene to and did you do any surface prep first?

Thanks

Rich

It sticks to most sheet material but not untreated MDF or chipboard which needs painting or varnishing.

• RMweb Gold

A small plate, either transparent or using some of the sleepers, which can be raised as required using a lever or small cam, can also be used to uncouple tension locks.

If the operating/lifting pole and its guide tube are square section, this prevents the plate turning and fouling the rail.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

I think the problem with tension lock couplings - e.g. Hornby - is that you need to have the uncoupler where you want to park the wagon(s).

Kadee (and others) give you the option to have a "centralised" magnet, so to speak, where you uncouple and can then propel without the wagon(s) re-coupling. There are some makes of coupling where you don't need a shuffle to achieve the same result but I think they all require some fiddly setting up.

I've gone with Kadees as my experience of the other types on the club on our 7mm layout has been that they're forever going out of adjustment.

I find that I can set the throttle to 1 and do the shuffle whilst watching the coupling. As soon as the jaws open I simply press the throttle direction button which seems to stop the loco instantly prior to moving away. Its not 100% but at least it isn't quit so noticeable. Mind you, any videos wouldn't look as good with a head poised over the loco to watch the coupling!

• Like 2

I saw a clip on Youtube...(DO NOT ask me where :( ) and the guy made a suggestion and made a tool with magnet on end that just lifted the coupling so you could separate the train wherever you wanted.
ONLY downside was the coupling had to be metal...not plastic.
Saves having magnets or uncoupling ramps to spoil the layout looks.

Khris

Pay attention you guys at the back. I have been curving Peco points on most of my previous layouts.  :biggrin_mini2:

I have been having fun (not) with Digitrains ZS012 sound..... 

Bought  four ZS012 in 2016.

PGH ordered another ZS012 three months ago for the 64XX and it was a different sound and far better.

Well impressed, I ordered another ZS012 two weeks ago for a 46XX and it came as a ZS012A and is different again!

I'm confused, as I only wanted to buy more of the ones sold to PGH.

The darned whistle is written into the program and it sounds every time the loco re-starts or reverses!  Bad idea....................

This was done on the Golden Age Models locos too, the theory being it makes a whistle noise when being run on straight DC.

Maybe they have two different files, one written for DC and one for DCC?

I have two HO locomotives (American steam) that have sound on DCC and DC, though the latter is less comprehensive and there are no CVs etc.  I have never run them on DC so I don't know how to operate a whstle, etc.

Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.broadway-limited.com/paragon2spcab-forwardac4ac5.aspx

These models have been in production for around ten years.

I saw a clip on Youtube...(DO NOT ask me where :( ) and the guy made a suggestion and made a tool with magnet on end that just lifted the coupling so you could separate the train wherever you wanted.

ONLY downside was the coupling had to be metal...not plastic.

Saves having magnets or uncoupling ramps to spoil the layout looks.

Khris

Kadee have a magnet you can bury under the ballast...

Kadee have a magnet you can bury under the ballast...

There is also an Electro-magnet...that also goes under everything!

Ideal for use on "main lines" where it eliminates any chance of an unwanted uncoupling!

For example, on a run-round loop it may be better than an "always on" magnet, as a coupling may rest in the wrong place after shunting..... :O

(I am still to install any magnets.....pending a re-build! ;) )

Edited by Sarahagain

Peco points are surprisingly agreeable to a small amount of bending, for want of a better word.  

As evidenced many times by LNER4479, including here, it is possible to gently persuade Peco points to take up a more prototypical curveyness if that is what is required.

Anyway, don't mind me.  I just have a weird thing about using the curved leg of a turnout as the main :)  No idea why, Dr Freud might have a theory.

Its very satisfying actually, Graham helped me with some of the points. 

i just recently bent a single slip into a perfect spot for my layout. 

• Like 1

Here is the news......

The Peco PL-11 side-mounted turnout motor was finally put to good use in a location where it was impossible to use a solenoid under the point. This little motor is very quiet and a doddle to fit. I've hidden some of it with undergrowth but of course the GWR railings will also do their bit eventually....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 13.jpg

Had I posted images of demolition, I would have had to add a warning that some scenes may excite some people.   :mosking:  But drawing further back, it can be seen there is a reversion to the true Carrog and the return of trains approaching Carrog through open country. I still intend making changes to goods facilities but they can be accommodated within the existing yard without touching the track again...

attachicon.gifWEB Goods shed 14.jpg

:cry: 

:resent: 

:wild:

:mad_mini: 

:hunter:

Excited? Me?

• RMweb Premium

Larry

Paul Cheffus is on RMWeb and is very involved in the Digitrains sounds.

Baz

PS on DCC you can, on some chips, ask it to do a gentle shuffle for uncoupling KDs.

A bit of movie showing a train passing Carrog wrong line. A temporary plywood platform has been put in place just to get a feel for things while scenic work goes on all over the place.....

Bet your neighbours love you now Larry, hahah. :no:  :no:  :no:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Larry

Paul Cheffus is on RMWeb and is very involved in the Digitrains sounds.

Baz

PS on DCC you can, on some chips, ask it to do a gentle shuffle for uncoupling KDs.

Hi

I think you mean Paul Chetter. I have never been involved with DCC sound projects.

Cheers

Paul