2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

At the weekend I received in the post from RMweb member Alex Duckworth some fantastic photos taken around the depot in the late 80's. There are some great period shots and it's interesting to see what's changed on the buildings in the intervening 20 years. Also good to see all the period cars, with it being notable that none are produced in RTR in 4mm scale! This just shows again what a great resource RMweb is and how members are willing to help each other. Many thanks Alex.

I've asked Alex for permission to scan and post his photos on here. [Update: permission kindly given by Alex and so photos will be posted once i've scanned them in]

The only real omission we have now are period shots of the wagon works building. Our model still has no track doors on it as we don't know what type were fitted. The sure way to find out is to make some....then Sod's Law will turn up the info we needed :lol:

If anyone has photos of the wagon works in the late 80's i'd really like to see them.

Many thanks.

Edited by 2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

As promised, and with very kind permission from Alex Duckworth, below are some period photos taken around St Blazey yard in the late 80s.

General view of the main smithy, office, fitting shop taken from near the turntable

post-6675-026548400 1287487043_thumb.jpg

Looking north towards the end gable of the smithy, note stream and chimney behind the building and tasteful 70's housing.

post-6675-092708100 1287487054_thumb.jpg

Full end gable.

post-6675-023725100 1287487065_thumb.jpg

The next few shots track from south to north along the face of the smithy, office and fitting shop. Note the good condition of the painted doors and the re-pointed that had gone on. Buildings obviously still loved at that time! Also note all the period cars - Brownie points for identifying them all!

post-6675-030221800 1287487077_thumb.jpg

post-6675-053800100 1287487089_thumb.jpg

post-6675-040343200 1287487102_thumb.jpg

post-6675-046933400 1287487115_thumb.jpg

post-6675-016542100 1287487127_thumb.jpg

A look towards the rear and side wall of the round house.

post-6675-025276500 1287487182_thumb.jpg

The front of the round house - obviously out of railway use.

post-6675-067128700 1287487193_thumb.jpg

post-6675-068128000 1287487203_thumb.jpg

The turntable - still in use (looks like an 08 and 37 in the yard)

post-6675-071295300 1287487217_thumb.jpg

post-6675-059674400 1287487231_thumb.jpg

The northfacing side wall of the round house.

post-6675-031008000 1287487241_thumb.jpg

A look down past the workshops along the stream.

post-6675-029136800 1287487253_thumb.jpg

Looking down St Andrews Road towards Par - fantastic array of period vehicles (thanks for the location Mickey)

post-6675-005844700 1287487160_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful layout!

Never been to St. Blazey's - in fact only been to Cornwall once in the sixties when I met a certain lady by the name of Cheetam who's Father owned a Pub. Heaven to me at the time but regretfully I never saw her again....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

hi

i just have to say i absolutely love this layout. the buildings are so accurate. i live right opposite st blazey yard hence my love of trains especially class 37 locos, i also worked for imerys minerals (ECC English china clays), the yard has changed a lot in the last 20 years its quite quiet in comparison to the early 90's, they would start all the class 37 engines up about 3 Am on a Monday morning and in the evenings you could here them ticking as they cooled down. i am hoping to build a layout of this area once i get my house sorted out.

in the meantime if you need any photos of anything just let me know as the round house is like 3 mins form my house

Ross

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

hi

i just have to say i absolutely love this layout. the buildings are so accurate. i live right opposite st blazey yard hence my love of trains especially class 37 locos, i also worked for imerys minerals (ECC English china clays), the yard has changed a lot in the last 20 years its quite quiet in comparison to the early 90's, they would start all the class 37 engines up about 3 Am on a Monday morning and in the evenings you could here them ticking as they cooled down. i am hoping to build a layout of this area once i get my house sorted out.

in the meantime if you need any photos of anything just let me know as the round house is like 3 mins form my house

Ross

Hi Ross

Ah, with tails like that you'll have Damian heading for the cold showers! By any slim chance you don't have photos of the old wagon works building do you? It would be good to get decent photos of the end gables that the 3 tracks ran through. Particularly we're after a late 80's shot showing what doors were fitted at the time (conventional swing or roller shutter). Perhaps you may be able to recall what was there??

Many thanks

Hi Ross

Ah, with tails like that you'll have Damian heading for the cold showers! By any slim chance you don't have photos of the old wagon works building do you? It would be good to get decent photos of the end gables that the 3 tracks ran through. Particularly we're after a late 80's shot showing what doors were fitted at the time (conventional swing or roller shutter). Perhaps you may be able to recall what was there??

Many thanks

i dont have any photos of it when it was the 3 door building i know they bricked up the left side which now leaves the 2 from what i remember they were roller doors, although i cannot be 100% sorry. however i know a man who has owned a business in the building you modelled so i will ask him if he has any photos.

it used to be quite easy to get in the yard and wonder round me and my brother would quite often walk through to take a short cut and they used to leave the little 08 running day and night it was always tempting!! if there is anything else i can help you with i'll do my best

Ross

• Like 1

In the late 80's and early 90's I regularly delivered car parts to "Batteries and Brakes" a motor factor as well as St Andrews Rd Garage, so those pictures brought back many memories.

B & B were originally in what appeared to be a former wooden chapel building, accesed by a pedestrian bridge over the stream, to the right hand side of the yard entrance, almost opposite the pub, and was worthy of a model in it's own right. When they vacated there they moved into the old workshop building, I only went in there a few times but remember vividly the rails set in the floor.

Wally

• Like 1

What a superb layout, it really is first class. The buildings, the locos and the sound, it just oozes atmosphere and really does capture the scene well. After the previous comments about the video clips I decided to have a look over the weekend and they didn’t disappoint. Superb! The view from the cab was just quality, the sound of the loco as it passed by the buildings really did it for me. Loved it!

• Like 1

Truly excellent layout!

As many others have said, it really captures St Blazey to a tee. Brings back memories of cornish summer holidays, all those 37's, so much better than going to the beach!

Any chance of it appearing in any of the magazines?

• Like 1

Was having a cuppa there one night when a call came in re a break in progress. The rascal went out the back near to where we were and he decided the best course of action was to jump in the leat and go that way.

Being the junior of the team I am'instructed' to go in after him and a wet foot chase ensues.:blink:

We didnt go far as the concrete bottom suddenly got about 5' deep and under our rascal goes!

We had to get a van for him as we couldnt risk getting our Traffic car seats wet could we! (and that was a Modeo ST200 2.5 v6).

Luckily he saw the funny side and laughed all the way to St Austell nick!;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Truly excellent layout!

As many others have said, it really captures St Blazey to a tee. Brings back memories of cornish summer holidays, all those 37's, so much better than going to the beach!

Any chance of it appearing in any of the magazines?

Hi Clive

I understand there's been interest from two magazines following its first outing at Stafford this year. I know that one of these has taken some initial photographs. I think the idea is to wait until the layout is detailed up and all the buildings are finished before going to print.

Thanks for the PM by the way - details passed to Damian

• RMweb Premium

Was having a cuppa there one night when a call came in re a break in progress. The rascal went out the back near to where we were and he decided the best course of action was to jump in the leat and go that way.

Being the junior of the team I am'instructed' to go in after him and a wet foot chase ensues.:blink:

We didnt go far as the concrete bottom suddenly got about 5' deep and under our rascal goes!

We had to get a van for him as we couldnt risk getting our Traffic car seats wet could we! (and that was a Modeo ST200 2.5 v6).

Sounds like it's been an interesting area in the past, what with the Par Inn having a certain reputation and now your story.... and he'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky Black Rat :lol:

• RMweb Gold

You got a result! Getting wet matters half as much when you end up "having a good day at the office" I'm sure! By the way "leat" is a very Cornish word, probably being ditch or drain in other parts of the country, I think.

• RMweb Premium

You got a result! Getting wet matters half as much when you end up "having a good day at the office" I'm sure! By the way "leat" is a very Cornish word, probably being ditch or drain in other parts of the country, I think.

I do multi-lingual!

Olddudders - new avatar image I see, have you had a hair cut?!

• RMweb Gold

Olddudders - new avatar image I see, have you had a hair cut?!

Gah! You're the fourth to comment! Yes, surgery conducted in my usual salon in the Midlands on my first visit to Blighty since May 2008, and it really didn't hurt. I actually had quite a pony-tail after all that time. As I've explained elsewhere, all down to Deb now being a bit more mobile indoors, able to look after herself to the extent of simple meals. Thus was I able to drop in to Port Isaac for a couple of pints in the Golden Lion - and see the Treneglos signpost on the way back!

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, because I'd come across the word on a sign by a stream in the middle of Port Isaac village - about 100 yards from the beach, so a natural channel, surely. Quite prepared to believe it had once been the downstream side of a mill, though.

• RMweb Gold

CK

Answers from Damian as follows:

1. Glue is the normal PVA ballast mix, PVA, water and a little washing up liquid. I can’t remember the exact mix, but its not so critical, its needs to be just runny enough to let it flow around the sleepers, say a 25% - 75% ratio, but experimentation is required depending on the make of glue you are using. It is essential to keep the glue off the top of the sleepers and chairs. Do around a dozen sleepers at a time. But you will get a feel for how many as it depends what surface you are ballasting on and how long its takes to soak in. The time to apply the ballast is once the area is completely covered, it’s settled down to the board, but before the glue has chance to soak in to the cork/board.

2. Yes. It comes out of the salt spreader very evenly. If you use a spoon or your fingers you cannot, in my view, get an even enough spread. Bearing in mind the idea is to not have to touch the ballast afterwards.

Hope this helps

Belated thanks for that answer, Chris. I now have a supplementary if I may, please - what kind of track did you use (the reason for this is wishing to know the depth of the sleepers when using the above ballasting method).

Thanks.

• Like 1

Leat is the old westcountry miners name for a man made waterway. They are widely used in all forms of mining and originally carried water to, or away from, tin streaming (panning) works, also used to provide power to water wheels at stamps or processing works.

The age of the saying can be gauged from the fact that Sir Francis Drake (the well known sailor and friend of Elizabeth 1) constructed the Plymouth Leat from Dartmoor to the city as the first public water supply.

Wally

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Belated thanks for that answer, Chris. I now have a supplementary if I may, please - what kind of track did you use (the reason for this is wishing to know the depth of the sleepers when using the above ballasting method).

Thanks.

In the absence of Damian and Chris replying;

From memory when I was assisting with some ballasting and rail distressing in the yard, I think that the single through line in the foreground and the sidings in front of the repair shed are ready to lay strips of C & L brand track. All the pointwork and the short sidings into and around the locoshed were handbuilt by Damian from C & L components, using the thin timbers to match the ready to lay track. If you look closely, you can see the difference in the chairs between ready to lay and handbuilt - look for the moulded keys.

The short section of superelevated double track over the bridge uses a mixture of components. I think the concrete sleepers were the Dow-mac branded type with rail in Exactoscale chairs, but I'm not sure what I used on the other line. On the weekend that we built that section, Damian and Chris were on important scenic stuff and I was just told to "hurry up and finish it"! Next, a coat of mucky-rusty paint was applied all over the rails and chairs before beer time. The section was ballasted in the old way: brush on a Woodland scenics ballast mixture, eye-drop on the pva/water/drop-of-wash-up based mixture, then remove any rogue ballast carefully with a scalpel before it dries. Extra weathering applied some time later after everything had dried, then Damian and Chris added weeds, etc.

Hope this helps and hope D & C agree !

• Like 1