Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I understand the DCC guys have the luxury of one red and one yellow LED - which might give a realistic combination ...... the red alone - which we DCers are stuck with - doesn't look right to me, I'm afraid.

2601.28 ; DSC_0141.JPG

Realistic safety valve blow off.

Which CV do you adjust to get that right?:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I weathered mine yesterday, something which brings out the ruggedness and brutality of these locos and which I can thoroughly recommend.  She now looks like a proper 94xx...  Actually, a very considerable improvement to my view was the simple act of spraying the bodyshell in acrylic matt varnish to act as a key for the weathering.  There is something just not right about even a small amount of shine on a 94xx.

Glad to hear your running issue is sorted, and an interesting photo showing Hawksworth's largest and smallest panniers.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Change of plan, slightly.  I was operating earlier this evening and enjoying my new 94xx as it drifted smoothly into the platform road with a train from Bridgend, consisting of half a 4 coach Hornby Collett 57' Suburban set which is not strictly correct for South Wales but will do for now, when it occured to me that I have a problem I should have already taken into account, that being first class.  I have, as I am sure I have mentioned but don't ask me on which thread, apparently conflicting information regarding this from different sources both of which I regard as reliable.  Firstly, some time back, ChrisF of this parish was kind enough to provide me with information about B sets allox TDU, including coach numbers and set markings; they were E147 flat enders and I have recently acquired a pair of kits for one from Wizard/Comet which are the next project on the list.  B sets, as everybody knows, are made up of brake composites and contain first class compartments, one in each coach one smoking one non smoking.

Secondly. it is asserted in the John Hodges/Stuart Davies Tondu Valleys books that all valleys services from Tondu were second class only.  This of course contradicts Chris Foren's information.  I have assumed, for working purposes, that both are correct but that first class was discontinued on all but the Porthcawl-Cardiff service when the 'regular interval' timetable was introduced in the autumn of 1953.  This was a major shake up of all Valleys services and meant a very considerable extension of the number of auto services, and a number of 4575 small prairie tanks and Collett compartment all thirds and brake thirds were converted for auto working in connection with this timetable; these were the 'Cyclops' trailers and the intermediate non-driving compartment matching thirds, used because the new auto trains for the South Wales timetable did not require on board ticket sales or retractable steps, which meant that compartment stock was suitable.  TDU got auto fitted 4575s and, a couple of years later, Collett compartment auto stock.

I have made an assumption that the Tondu Valleys services were indeed second class only after the start of the autumn timetable in 1953, but that first class was available on at least some services prior to that.  But I cannot have a first class or composite coach hauled by a loco built in 1954, and I intended to renumber my 94xx to 8448, built new in 1954 and allocated new to Tondu.  This cannot be done now, so the new plan is to renumber 9487 as 8497, the first of a batch of 3 consequitive numbered locos xfer Tondu from Newport in March of 1953, and the longest stayer, being xfer Canton in 1960.  This new plan has the advantage that 8497 is, like 9487, a Stephenson built loco and I can use the rather nice Stephenson builder's plates supplied by Hornby until I order ones with the correct works number, 1844, for 8497 from Narrow Planet. 

There is a 5 month window during which 8497 could have hauled passenger trains at Tondu which included first class accommodation, and according to Hodges/Davies the class was used for passenger work at Tondu, so the loco would definitely have worked passenger jobs during those 5 months.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can I ask how others have found their 94xx's to run at crawling speed? I must admit to being very disappointed with this aspect of the model. I have tried on both DC and DCC and I cannot get it to run anywhere near as slowly as other recent releases from several manufacturers. For example the much debated Dapol mogul at speed step 1 on DCC (using an out of the box Lenz next 18) will crawl along very smoothly with no hesitation at all. Using the same setup with the 94xx, it runs about 4 times faster and with noticeable lurches at certain points of the wheel revolution. Can anyone else give a comparison between the running qualities of the 94xx and mogul?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MatthewCarty said:

Can I ask how others have found their 94xx's to run at crawling speed? I must admit to being very disappointed with this aspect of the model. I have tried on both DC and DCC and I cannot get it to run anywhere near as slowly as other recent releases from several manufacturers. For example the much debated Dapol mogul at speed step 1 on DCC (using an out of the box Lenz next 18) will crawl along very smoothly with no hesitation at all. Using the same setup with the 94xx, it runs about 4 times faster and with noticeable lurches at certain points of the wheel revolution. Can anyone else give a comparison between the running qualities of the 94xx and mogul?

I have two Dapol  Moguls and the 94xx.  I agree with you. I have actually sent the 94xx back for repair (via the Retailer) as I am sure it is faulty.  It was very notchy at slow speed despite hours of running in.  I also tried a different decoder and ran on DC.  Unfortunately I had weathered and detailed the 94xx so could not swap it for a new model.  When I examined it running on a rolling road with body removed , it appeared to me that one of the wheel sets might be slightly warped.   Having said that  I am not sure a warped wheel set (if I am correct) was the cause of my problem because it seemed to run better at high speeds, but still a bit clunky.  The quartering seemed to be O.K..    I also think it ran better on DC than DCC which suggests a decoder issue.  Anyway Bachman will hopefully tell me what is wrong with it.  I am used to Bachmann models running flawlessly, especially after running in, so I am disappointed.              

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Have to say mine runs very smoothly at all speeds with a Gaugemaster controller on DC.  And it is improving as it beds in (operating is more or less daily at Cwmdimbath, and locos bed in quickly even if the mileages are low).  I ran the loco in 30 minutes medium speed each direction as per Bachmann instruction, but as I don't have access to a test continuous run, this was done with the loco upside down in a home made cradle and wires inserted into the brass eyelets on the keeper plate.  This enabled me to establish that the wheels were true and at 90 degrees to the axles, and that the pickups were bearing properly on the rears of them.  A slightly off wheel might be the root of your problems, Gopher.

One thing I have noticed is that the 94xx responds to the controller at lower knob positions than my other Bachmann mechs, and thus is faster at any given setting.  It will set off happily at '20' on my controller, whereas the others want 28-30, and a 3MT 82xxx needs more like 35 but is improving over time.  I assume this is down to the coreless motor being more free running and responsive.  This would explain the different response between the mogul and the 94xx.  My 94xx 'feels' freer running.  A free running coreless motor uses less voltage to run at a given speed and will therefore be less 'torquey', other things being equal, and more susceptible to physical restraint from binds and such, the situation being compounded by the coreless' ability to run at lower voltages which give it less ability to overcome such obstacles.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My 94XX responds better at slow speed to my AMR slow-speed handheld controller (DC), as compared with a standard Gaugemaster DC unit.

That said, it is slightly better in this regard than the first example I had, with the incorrect back-to-backs but I will still give it some running in.

I am hoping that after running-in, it will pass muster for exhibition conditions slow speed shunting etc.

• Informative/Useful 2

Hi All,

Couple of questions for 94xx owners:

1) for those with the sound fitted version. Is the "chirping" noise with ever rotation meant to be there? It goes when I turn sound off, so I assume it's intentional, but I find the squeaking quite annoying. It's like there's an angry sparrow in the cab.

2) has anyone had wheels that hesitate very briefly once during rotation when at slow speed. The motor overcomes it, but I wondered if this was a common issue and if there was a known fix? I'm currently giving it a very long run in to see if that solves it. The pause is hardly noticable and disppears completely once the first few speed steps are out of the way. I think I could live with it if it doesn't go away.

Regarding slow speed control, I wasn't impressed at first, but after activating the "shunting mode" function I'm much happier and can go slower than I'd ever need.

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Grouse101 said:

Hi All,

1) for those with the sound fitted version. Is the "chirping" noise with ever rotation meant to be there? It goes when I turn sound off, so I assume it's intentional, but I find the squeaking quite annoying. It's like there's an angry sparrow in the cab.

2) has anyone had wheels that hesitate very briefly once during rotation when at slow speed. The motor overcomes it, but I wondered if this was a common issue and if there was a known fix? I'm currently giving it a very long run in to see if that solves it. The pause is hardly noticable and disppears completely once the first few speed steps are out of the way. I think I could live with it if it doesn't go away.

Regarding slow speed control, I wasn't impressed at first, but after activating the "shunting mode" function I'm much happier and can go slower than I'd ever need.

Thanks

1) sounds like you’re describing the sound of the vacuum pump (used to maintain vacuum in the vacuum brake pipe through the journey rather than using an ejector). If so it should definitely be there whenever the loco is moving. I don’t have the sound version so can’t be absolutely sure.

2) mine had the same problem and I decided I couldn’t live with so have sent it back. It’s likely to improve over time, but I decided having payed the money I wanted one which was smooth at slow speeds and didn’t want to risk it not getting better.

Good to hear that the motor is capable of slower running. Having only had it for a short time I didn’t spend time playing with the CVs to try and achieve this, but did notice speed step 1 was much faster than I would have liked.

27 minutes ago, MatthewCarty said:

1) sounds like you’re describing the sound of the vacuum pump (used to maintain vacuum in the vacuum brake pipe through the journey rather than using an ejector). If so it should definitely be there whenever the loco is moving. I don’t have the sound version so can’t be absolutely sure.

2) mine had the same problem and I decided I couldn’t live with so have sent it back. It’s likely to improve over time, but I decided having payed the money I wanted one which was smooth at slow speeds and didn’t want to risk it not getting better.

Good to hear that the motor is capable of slower running. Having only had it for a short time I didn’t spend time playing with the CVs to try and achieve this, but did notice speed step 1 was much faster than I would have liked.

I think the pump would have driven me nuts if you can hear it on the footplate.

Just finished a 30 minute run in and it's still hesitating. You're right, it's too expensive not to be perfect and I'll be looking to return for a replacement. I think I told myself that I could live with it because I really like it and I don't want the hassle of a return.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Have run mine in on DC on a test oval and then fitted a Bachmann 36-567 [Zimo derived] decoder.

Super model, super smooth on both DC + DCC and more than slow enough at a crawl for my needs.

Really like this loco - in process of ordering new plates from 247 Developments.

In time will pair it up with Rapido's 1501 - both in BR Unlined Black with Early Crests (and both sporting 81A shedcode plates)!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Grouse101 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Re point 2 - yes I had this problem.  Never solved it despite hours running in.  So loco went back as per my post above.  

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a problem with binding or similar affecting some of these locos, and I am lucky that mine is not one of them.  Most of them run well at low speeds but a significant number don’t, and we’ve heard of back to back issues as well.  Too late for this batch but perhaps Bachmann need to look to QC in the assembly stage.  

Pity; if you’e got a good one it is an excellent model, and the frustration of having to send a dog back for replacement must be considerable!

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

the frustration of having to send a dog back for replacement must be considerable!

I'm praying (which god would be most effective in this case?) that this will not be necessary considering the extreme hassle of shipping backwards and forwards across the massive English Channel divide. My model has been stuck at the Parcelforce International Hub for the last two weeks! :banghead:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

significant number

"Significant number" - presumably you can put some actual numbers against this, or perhaps a percentage of the production run.

"Some" would seem to be more accurate at this stage. Lots of people are happy, but they don't generally post as often as unhappy ones, which skews the impression. Whatever - if you have a problem, the send it back to your retailer who will then deal with Bachmann.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

I'm praying (which god would be most effective in this case?) that this will not be necessary considering the extreme hassle of shipping backwards and forwards across the massive English Channel divide. My model has been stuck at the Parcelforce International Hub for the last two weeks! :banghead:

There is a Hindu god of railways; forgotten his name now but he ‘fashioned Vishnu’s fiery chariot’, which got him the railway job; you could try him!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I’m just pleased I managed to source a l/c version,Rails seemingly having obliterated my order as there’s no trace on my account.No more in stock so no joy there....hey ho..these are difficult times for all.MonkBar of York are a new retail experience for me and they do have stock as do a number of other retailers. The e/c version comes with the garish red smear ( nothing personal but not to my taste ) on its cab side so I couldn’t go with that.Now I look forward to seeing and running this much heralded model of a prototype that cascaded onto the S.Wales railway scene in droves in my long lost youf .

• Friendly/supportive 3

Unfortunately my 9487 sound fitted Pannier has the binding or jerky issue below step 5, following this thread from fellow sufferers I have looked and probed and checked most things ,I even thought one very slightly warped wheel was catching one of the brake blocks... but no not that either ,I’ve also been very satisfied with the running of Bachmann locos except for the 64xx which had a quartering problem,...so quite disappointed , will have to return I’m afraid.

• RMweb Gold

A quick comparison ...3EE56F5C-AB27-4129-A7B3-3E25D5C6A858.jpeg.3d8e923f59915230c8d2c072ebeedafb.jpeg

76DDFE9B-3CE2-43EC-A566-7482A92AF2BD.jpeg.6485ffab12aec83cf6076b0516e8ce44.jpeg

FD60E562-F4A9-4CAC-8792-A287F4392214.jpeg.17ebfba496ba6048887da92a267e3fa4.jpeg720A9E22-F2ED-40C0-B9F2-91C54CBF6E64.jpeg.2441c21bc2ce70a41ddb003e9b84205e.jpeg

The 16xx performance on my rolling road definitely makes the 94xx look like a racehorse, it picks up at a much lower voltage, but also has a lower top speed.

Both however are fantastic models, not sure about the “hole” in the body side of the 16xx bunker though. Both are top models, the 94xx isnt as refined as the 16xx, but then its  cheaper.

So 4 new Panniers in recent years.. Heljans 13xx and the Bachmann 64xx before it.. (the 94xx is definitely an improvement on the 64xx).. maybe this weekend I might put a pannier party together.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1