N gauge Shark Ballast Plough Van

DJM Dave

Speaking of Mermaids, are any further liveries of those ever going to appear?

Same sort of news as the Shark AFAIA. Again speaking with Dave at Warley the Mermaids weren't big and fast sellers and he had to 'remainder' (discount) unsold ones to traders/retailers to liquidate the stock (rather than sit on it with cash tied up). I'd assume that other liveries will only get done if there are sufficient pre-orders. Probably best to purchase what there is (presumably now discounted) and repaint in to the livery you want.

G.

Neither Hattons nor Rails of Sheffield have any of the Black livery Mermaids in stock. Not surprising as this was always likely to be the most popular livery. Both have Dutch livery in stock. I would certainly buy both the listed Indian Red models plus more Black Livery with BR Numbering if ever offered. If further models depend on pre-orders then I don't think it will ever happen as it's a chicken & egg situation. If DJM announced that the Olive Green, Indian Red & additional Black Livery models were going into production then I think that there would be an upsurge in demand especially if the Sharks were to go ahead also.

I feel for dave but this difficult for me.

when they were announced I ordered 2 Sharks and 3 Turbots from two different shops just to spread my orders around.

By my own mistake I chose a pay now option with the shark retailer. With no sign of the models after a year, I asked the retailer if it was possible to take the money paid for the two sharks and use it towards other products which were then available. They agreed any my shark order was cancelled and my other items promptly dispatched (great and helpful service by C&M btw)

The turbots have been on pre-order but with no payment made since the same time period.

Now we all have different modelling budgets but for me, I don't feel too comfortable placing orders for products without payment for years when the money may come out at an inconvenient time and possibly missing out on other items as I don't want to overcommit but I also don't want to pay based on an unknown period which may be 3 years in advance for a product.

Im happy doing this with crowdfunded products as I know the advantage/ risk/ timespan but with the reported 'awaiting orders' approach there is nothing to relate the time span too.

I wish DJM all the best and I don't mean to criticise someone who is willing to go out on there own to promote their own endeavour but personally I cant give this approach the support I would like too. 

Regards

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I can’t help feeling that this will be a very popular model once it’s produced but given that it doesn’t have the “wow factor” of some other recent/current projects (eg. Pendolino, TEA tanks, Prototype HST), I think many people just don’t feel the same need to pre-order them. Which is a shame, if that’s what’s holding back production.

I can’t help feeling that this will be a very popular model once it’s produced but given that it doesn’t have the “wow factor” of some other recent/current projects (eg. Pendolino, TEA tanks, Prototype HST), I think many people just don’t feel the same need to pre-order them. Which is a shame, if that’s what’s holding back production.

In my case I'm hesitating because two other DJM projects that I pledged my support for have come to naught (Class 17 and the 23). I'll personally wait until there some more N gauge stuff gets developed and delivered and receives positive feedback. I guess this is becoming a catch 22 situation for Dave.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

In my case I'm hesitating because two other DJM projects that I pledged my support for have come to naught (Class 17 and the 23). I'll personally wait until there some more N gauge stuff gets developed and delivered and receives positive feedback. I guess this is becoming a catch 22 situation for Dave.

Cheers

Dave

That’s fair enough, Dave, but as you can pre-order these from retailers with no money up front required, there is no financial risk at all on this project.

The more I think about this the more disappointed I become. It is so frustrating as Dave showed pre production samples so we are so close. I wonder how short of the required number of orders Dave is. May be the NGS could partner with Dave and make the Shark one of their RTR models.

Kind regards

Paddy

• RMweb Premium

That really makes sense Paddy. What's the point of continuing with an outdated kit which might prevent us getting a quality model to modern standards?.

The more I think about this the more disappointed I become. It is so frustrating as Dave showed pre production samples so we are so close. I wonder how short of the required number of orders Dave is. May be the NGS could partner with Dave and make the Shark one of their RTR models.

Kind regards

Paddy

That’s fair enough, Dave, but as you can pre-order these from retailers with no money up front required, there is no financial risk at all on this project.

Thanks, I didn't realise expressions of interest counted via retailers, so I've pre-ordered one from my favourite retailer. As you say, no risk there.

Edited by DaveArkley
  • Like 2

Hi DavidH,

I understand what you are saying but I do not personally see this as bailing out a commercial manufacturer. It is clear that DJH has already done most of the work in terms of research, design etc. and it seems terrible to waste this. The model just needs to be put in to production. The NGS already has an older kit of the Shark which could be replaced with a RTR one. Whether the Society membership would generate enough orders is another question ... Plus, if it was an NGS model then I suppose any orders currently out there from non members would be lost.

It was just an idea and as an NGS member this seemed like an opportunity to realise a RTR prototype that is not viable for the commercial manufacturers. I thought this was one of the criteria the NGS use in selecting possible RTR projects. As an NGS member I would not personally object but accept I could be in the minority.

Paddy

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying but I do not personally see this as bailing out a commercial manufacturer. It is clear that DJH has already done most of the work in terms of research, design etc. and it seems terrible to waste this. The model just needs to be put in to production. The NGS already has an older kit of the Shark which could be replaced with a RTR one. Whether the Society membership would generate enough orders is another question ... Plus, if it was an NGS model then I suppose any orders currently out there from non members would be lost.

Maybe not bailing out a commercial manufacturer but I bet some members would see it that way. And, of course, if DJM cannot generate enough interest and pre-orders for the Shark in the open marketplace then I doubt the NGS will from a more restricted membership. I guess such a venture would be quite risky and potentially expensive for the NGS.

Besides the NGS already has a Shark kit which, although a little dated, is relatively easy to construct and still pretty much accurate and representative. Plus if people want more modern details/fidelity on their Shark then it quite possibly to bull it up with added wire handrails and so on. Simple things like using metal wheelsets make an improvement. A RTR version in their range would compete with the kit and vice versa, and replacing the kit would effectively mean writing off the tooling cost of the kit and the opportunity for further sales of it.

G.

• RMweb Premium

The NGS have "replaced" kits with RTR in the past; Their etched brass kit of the SR Queen Mary brake van with a RTR model from Farish.

That said, I can't see the Society taking over the RTR Shark from DJM (and nor would I want it to).

The NGS have "replaced" kits with RTR in the past; Their etched brass kit of the SR Queen Mary brake van with a RTR model from Farish.

That said, I can't see the Society taking over the RTR Shark from DJM (and nor would I want it to).

The kit QM brake was a shot down etch (from a larger scale) and considered very difficult, resulting in very few sales (I'm not even sure that bogies were supplied with it). The Shark on the other hand is quite straightforward and is still selling well.

G.

G. 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed despite having pre-ordered a DJM Shark I also have a NGS kit too which is intended to be a dumped in a siding grotty wreck whilst the DJM one when it arrives will be the runner.

• Like 2

Well not by any means a grotty wreck, but my NGS Shark, while OK isn't a patch on the DJM model depicted by the livery samples. Dave's RTR model is in a wholly different league so I personally hope Dave is able to acquire sufficient orders. As to the Mermaid, I'm afraid Dave was seduced by the vocal minority who wanted "Dutch" had he stuck to earlier BR examples he would have sold them no problem.

Roy

• Like 2

Well not by any means a grotty wreck, but my NGS Shark, while OK isn't a patch on the DJM model depicted by the livery samples. Dave's RTR model is in a wholly different league so I personally hope Dave is able to acquire sufficient orders. As to the Mermaid, I'm afraid Dave was seduced by the vocal minority who wanted "Dutch" had he stuck to earlier BR examples he would have sold them no problem.

Roy

I'm waiting for the olive green ones. Could be a long wait

es grüßt

pc

Edited by Padishar Creel

• RMweb Gold

I too have an NGS Shark and orders for a dutch RTR . Having supported Dave (- in a very small way) with buying 6 mermaids hoping that all the talk would produce a Shark sooner than later . I fear that this thread is showing it is going towards extinction sooner than later with tooling and prototypes just being a cost on DJ models thus causing more project grief across the range that Dave suggested/ crowd fund promoted.    

I think we have come to the point of do or ditch, however much verbal support there is there is also a limit of expectation and at best wild hope. This is where I now am.  I can use the funds aimed at purchasing on new and available projects in 2 and 4mm plus a lovely class 20 in gauge one.

I wish Dave and his business all the best but for whatever reason - and maybe with his help the likes of IRM / Accruscale  and Revolution have passed by into full blown production runs leaving me at worst just a little saddened.  

I really hope that in a matter of weeks Dave can advise of production or perhaps surprise and cheer us all by appearing with boxes of sharks.   

Robert 

I too have an NGS Shark and orders for a dutch RTR . Having supported Dave (- in a very small way) with buying 6 mermaids hoping that all the talk would produce a Shark sooner than later . I fear that this thread is showing it is going towards extinction sooner than later with tooling and prototypes just being a cost on DJ models thus causing more project grief across the range that Dave suggested/ crowd fund promoted.    

I think we have come to the point of do or ditch, however much verbal support there is there is also a limit of expectation and at best wild hope. This is where I now am.  I can use the funds aimed at purchasing on new and available projects in 2 and 4mm plus a lovely class 20 in gauge one.

I wish Dave and his business all the best but for whatever reason - and maybe with his help the likes of IRM / Accruscale  and Revolution have passed by into full blown production runs leaving me at worst just a little saddened.  

I really hope that in a matter of weeks Dave can advise of production or perhaps surprise and cheer us all by appearing with boxes of sharks.   

Robert 

I feel the same. I have two Sharks on pre-order at Hattons. I purchased the 4 Black Mermaids & would buy the Indian Red versions plus any additional Black liveries. It's now more than 12 months since I placed an order for 16 HUOs on the DJM Website.

Lack of progress & lack of meaningful information/feedback is a real disappointment.

David

• Like 1