Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Gold

The best place for brushes is The Works. You can get good quality sets for about £2.

Or three packs of 4 for £5.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/paint-brushes/boldmere-nylon-round-brush-4-piece-set---3-packs/kit04531

Jason

Agree - I got packs of watercolouring pencils, paints, acrylic tubes, Sharpies, mounting card, spray adhesive, cheap PVA and cheap brushes all from The Works. Excellent shop for cheap resources. Wilko's are pretty good as well for cheap glues, brushes etc.

Spot the bargain

38183206971_db42898412_c.jpg

Coronach left Minoru Right

Could have posted this under Hornby or perhaps Hattons - the latter wouldn't offer a 'better' replacement and instead refunded my card.

Ray

Sorry, have I missed something here? It is all very enigmatic...

Puzzled in Oz,

Peter C.

HI Peter

May be or may be you are not a fussy as myself.

Sorry, have I missed something here?

Minoru is currently on offer here in the UK as a 'bargain' from a store in Widnes.  In the picture above you can see that the front end of Minoru as received is 3 to 4mm higher than Coronach - an old model from Sanda Khan.  Minoru has been returned to the retailer and the cost refunded.  I did ask for a replacement if they had a better model but they declined my request.  Is it a bargain or do you just receive what you pay for?

Ray

So are you saying it's a bargain, but don't buy it because it's wrong? Sorry, I don't get it either. Perhaps it would be more relevant in the appropriate manufacturer's sub-forum?

HI Peter

May be or may be you are not a fussy as myself.

Minoru is currently on offer here in the UK as a 'bargain' from a store in Widnes.  In the picture above you can see that the front end of Minoru as received is 3 to 4mm higher than Coronach - an old model from Sanda Khan.  Minoru has been returned to the retailer and the cost refunded.  I did ask for a replacement if they had a better model but they declined my request.  Is it a bargain or do you just receive what you pay for?

Ray

Sorry Ray, I missed the bleedin' obvious... I thought the footplate lining was better on 'Minoru'.. It's getting late over here, well past beer o'clock, that probably explains it.

I find your posts/blog very informative, hence my question.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

Actually if you study Ray's picture closely, both of them have a lift in the running plate as it goes towards the buffers.

FWIW, it seems to me that quite a lot of new models have faults of one kind or another, a conclusion borne out by Ray's extensive blog of "work required". It is a matter of deciding whether or not to return, or to have a pop at a fix yourself. Rather ironic in times when many consumers require everything to be finished - witness the objection to separate detailing parts on diesels - that we often need to do work ourselves to get the best out of models.

As this is a Bargain Hunter thread, I'd better say that Rails have some excellent offers on Hornby Kings at present, and have for a while. Whether they'll need fettling is another matter!

John.

• Like 1

Meanwhile at the other end of the Hornby scale....

Argos are offering a Buy 2 get a Third Free (cheapest is free) on selected items in their toys range.  As far as trainsets go, the offer includes:

• Hornby Junior Express Train @ £34.99
  • Santa Express Train @ £59.99
  • West Coast Highlander @ 74.99
  • Intercity Express @ £89.99
  • Tornado Pullman Express @ £99.99

There may be other items in their toy ranges that might be useful but I gave up on the wastelands of pink....

The offer ends tomorrow (7th November) so if you're desparate for a fleet of Railroad Class 395's at the equivalent of £60 each complete with a third radius oval, siding and controller, then nows your chance!  Its cheaper than ebay.....

• RMweb Gold

I have done one , ended nearly breaking the front off . Very poorly made , at a guess the mould is knackered.

Probably removed from the mould too soon, before the plastic had cooled properly. Possibly the machine operator was trying to shorten the cycle time to increase throughput. Very easy to produce warped parts that way.

Probably removed from the mould too soon, before the plastic had cooled properly. Possibly the machine operator was trying to shorten the cycle time to increase throughput. Very easy to produce warped parts that way.

If that is the reason they aren't learning at least three LNER versions and at least one BR version have had the same ski lift nose problem , all bar two have been released at different times as well .

Still amazed that Hornby had the nerve to sell them , they should be sent back to China for new bodies, the standard of the lining on the LNER versions is poorer quality than the earlier releases as well.

The original bargain hunters thread was closed down by the moderator because it kept digressing.

Can someone explain to me why bent loco's are bargains?

Please open new threads if something you want to say isn't advice on a BARGAIN.

Nope. The original Bargain Hunters thread was closed down due to moaners complaining about people pointing out "bargains" that weren't bargains. 

If you look at the A3, which is on offer at the moment, then is it a "bargain" if it is shaped like a banana?

Or a cheap model that is riddled with Mazak rot. Is that a bargain if it falls to pieces in six months time?

It's a forum. A forum is for discussing things.

Jason