The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

Back to Louis XIV.  Modest chaps, these absolute monarchs.

Perhaps we can work back to railways via his namesake and biggest fan?

Is that Louis Napoleon's coach?

I read recently that when the first meeting of the1918 armistice was being arranged, Marshall Foch 'phoned the manager of the Chemin de Fer du Nord and asked for a train formed of stock from c. 1871. It was to send the German delegation a message and set the negotiations in a proper, historical context. The Nord rose splendidly to the occasion and sent some coaches from the royal train of Napoleon III: a day saloon, two sleeping cars and a brake.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My wife explained clearly why there are no Pre-Raphaelite paintings of railways - there were no railawys before Raphael's time! Simple really . . .

I was hoping the picture in post 396 was the mock-up interior of the class 800s (Premier class, of course).

Jonathan

• Like 1

Is that Louis Napoleon's coach?

I read recently that when the first meeting of the1918 armistice was being arranged, Marshall Foch 'phoned the manager of the Chemin de Fer du Nord and asked for a train formed of stock from c. 1871. It was to send the German delegation a message and set the negotiations in a proper, historical context. The Nord rose splendidly to the occasion and sent some coaches from the royal train of Napoleon III: a day saloon, two sleeping cars and a brake.

Nope, 'Mad' Ludwig (= 'Louis') of Bavaria.  He had a bit of a Louis IV thing, he even tried to build a full-size copy of Versailles.

I understood that the 1918 Armistice was signed in the coach used when the French surrendered in 1871.  Hitler used it again, in 1940, then burnt it so the Allies could not use it in 1945!

the importance of symbols!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nope, 'Mad' Ludwig (= 'Louis') of Bavaria.  He had a bit of a Louis IV thing, he even tried to build a full-size copy of Versailles.

Louis 4?

I think you are deserving of a X...

(See what I did there?)

The GWR referred to Private Owner wagons as Freighters' wagons, this being the case from the 1860s onwards, though in other contexts they used the word 'Goods'. Just to confuse everything.

GWR? Doing things different Causing confusion? Really?

I think of 7 and 1/4 of 1/12th reasons why that can't be so....... honest guv! :no:

Searching for my pic the other night of Moreton-on-Lugg hollow oak tree station I rediscovered this delight

post-21705-0-56716900-1506703979.jpg

with some delightful pen and water colours of the Brigadier's pre Grouping memories. He was born in 1898 at Blackheath, was a Gunnery officer in WW I, won an MC in Palestine in 1936, spent WW II in the War Office , and retired in 1950:

post-21705-0-22592000-1506704106_thumb.jpg

post-21705-0-79601500-1506704151.jpgpost-21705-0-45240600-1506704245_thumb.jpg

There is a refreshing sense of being drawn from memory on quite a number of pages (eg Euston, and the Aldburgh sketch), though the GW slip coach looks to me like a copy from a photo - note the pedant in me.

It was published in 1983 by Pan Books London. I see I paid a fiver for it at an open day at the Nene Valley Railway some years ago.

dh

• Like 7

Searching for my pic the other night of Moreton-on-Lugg hollow oak tree station I rediscovered this delight

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

with some delightful pen and water colours of the Brigadier's pre Grouping memories. He was born in 1898 at Blackheath, was a Gunnery officer in WW I, won an MC in Palestine in 1936, spent WW II in the War Office , and retired in 1950:

attachicon.giflpool st.jpg

attachicon.gifeuston.jpgattachicon.gifslip coach.jpg

There is a refreshing sense of being drawn from memory on quite a number of pages (eg Euston, and the Aldburgh sketch), though the GW slip coach looks to me like a copy from a photo - note the pedant in me.

It was published in 1983 by Pan Books London. I see I paid a fiver for it at an open day at the Nene Valley Railway some years ago.

dh

I, too, have this book.  Delightful.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

dh

It's very clear from the cover just exactly what made the greatest childhood impression! But he would have been no more than eight or nine at the time, probably younger.

Euston certainly is "a dark low station" these days - interesting that it seemed so then. "I saw some interesting luggage vans" - just sounds such an authentic childhood statement - one imagines Mama's frustration at trying to drag young John away form staring in wonderment as the porters loaded the portmanteaux and parcels, in time to catch their train.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

dh

If anyone is interested, there are several copies of this very book for sale in an innominate antique shop in Ludlow - it's two or three doors down from Artisan Ales on Old Street.

Yet again, we need some more "Ratings" buttons, in this case possibly a trombone symbol for that "Wah-Wah-Wah" feeling, as well as the oft requested "Groan"...

Pedant Mode /On. :nono:

I thought the trombone noise consists of four 'wah's; descending in tone, with the fourth 'wah' being held longer than the others. :onthequiet:

If anyone is interested, there are several copies of this very book for sale in an innominate antique shop in Ludlow - it's two or three doors down from Artisan Ales on Old Street.

Amazon list hardback copies (from independent retailers) priced at £2.81 upwards, inc delivery at £2.80.  Useful for those who live more than £2.80 worth of petrol/diesel from Ludlow!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

dh

Never having seen or heard of this book before yesterday, by chance there was a copy on a second-hand stall at our local exhibition today, for just £2, so I snapped it up. It is indeed a charming volume, though the sketches were evidently drawn many years after the Edwardian scenes they depict.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

dh

Amazingly I was reading the same book two nights ago, my copy was bought at a fete. I'm fortunate my copy was signed by Bernard Kaukas who wrote the frontispiece. BK was I believe a former Chief architect to British Rail and served himself during WW2 in the Royal Navy..

It's a most unusual book and attractive to me with practically the last story being about the MSWJR.

• Like 1

Finally, since the Act of Parliament creating the Festiniog Railway company used the spelling with one F that remains the legal name of the company whatever operating name it likes to use. Similarly the Van Railway serving mines at what is now called Y Fan. But then you can blame the railway companies in Wales for all sorts of Anglicisations of names, though to be honest some of the Welsh versions of place names now in use are recent inventions for places which never existed until they were created by English speaking individuals.

Apparently the small nominally Welsh village where my parents live, bisected by Offa's Dyke and within a Herefordshire postcode, was given a brand new shiny Welsh name, the village signposts updated, and it took a few months before anyone realised the spelling was wrong.

The area was served by a pre-grouping railway, to keep things vaguely on otpic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazingly I was reading the same book two nights ago, my copy was bought at a fete. I'm fortunate my copy was signed by Bernard Kaukas who wrote the frontispiece. BK was I believe a former Chief architect to British Rail and served himself during WW2 in the Royal Navy..

It's a most unusual book and attractive to me with practically the last story being about the MSWJR.

My copy also signed: "To R.W with love & thanks [to?] Bernard Kaukas" - so he may have signed quite a few.