SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Morning all,

I've got an exciting announcement for you today. I can reveal that we will be releasing four more versions of our SECR P Class locomotives.

Based on the feedback we've received, we are producing further locomotives in SECR lined green and BR black with new running numbers and, for the first time, we are producing the two members of the class used by the Railway Operating Division in France during World War One, commemorating an important part of the history of the class.

The production samples have been approved and they are now en route to us, you can see photos of the production samples below.

The four new variants will be:

A point to note is that 27 in SECR lined green will feature a new colour for the polished brass dome and safety valve. The new colour represents polished brass, which is halfway between our original release of P Classes 753 and 178; and Hornby's H Class.

All 4 of the new announcements, as well as the original releases, are available to order now for £99 on THIS page of our website.

The newly announced locomotives are all due to be in stock on Friday 17th August 2018.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their feedback and thoughts on the P Class' so far.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on these latest announcements.

Cheers,

Dave

Oh God, I'm going to end up owning three of them!

At least if I stick to the full lined SE&CR livery, I'll avoid owning more models than there were class members!

No.27, in, presumably, pre-Grouping in-service condition. An excellent choice.  Thank you Hattons.

I assume there may be changes before the final model, but as comments were invited:

- I am interested in the treatment of the brass dome.  The Hornby 'Lord of the Isles' dome finish looks starkly different in the company of Bachmann and Hattons painted brass domes, so it will be interesting to see Hattons bridge the gap.

- Original pattern buffers, and lined, as I believe they should be - neither Bachmann nor Hornby managed to do so on their full livery models!  Nice.

- Surely the smoke box wrapper should not have any snap head rivets as shown?

- I believe there should be lining around the cab spectacles

- The tricky bit - the splashers should be Brunswick Greens with brass beading, but the footplate is very much a black component on these models, so I would not like to image the technical difficulties in making it green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh God, I'm going to end up owning three of them!

At least if I stick to the full lined SE&CR livery, I'll avoid owning more models than there were class members!

No.27, in, presumably, pre-Grouping in-service condition. An excellent choice.  Thank you Hattons.

I assume there may be changes before the final model, but as comments were invited:

- I am interested in the treatment of the brass dome.  The Hornby 'Lord of the Isles' dome finish looks starkly different in the company of Bachmann and Hattons painted brass domes, so it will be interesting to see Hattons bridge the gap.

- Original pattern buffers, and lined, as I believe they should be - neither Bachmann nor Hornby managed to do so on their full livery models!  Nice.

- Surely the smoke box wrapper should not have any snap head rivets as shown?

- I believe there should be lining around the cab spectacles

- The tricky bit - the splashers should be Brunswick Greens with brass beading, but the footplate is very much a black component on these models, so I would not like to image the technical difficulties in making it green.

Hello Edwardian,

We're producing No. 27 in the condition we expect it to be turned out in once restored by "Project 27" at the Bluebell Railway.

Here's an updated detail matrix showing the tooling combinations used for each of the new versions

post-28458-0-55413800-1528376999_thumb.jpg

We couldn't produce a pure SECR version due to the lamp brackets on the front and the smokebox without the bands of rivets not being present in the tooling suite.

I've made a new thread dedicated to discussing this new batch of locomotives.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134771-2nd-batch-of-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-due-august-2018/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Edwardian,

We're producing No. 27 in the condition we expect it to be turned out in once restored by "Project 27" at the Bluebell Railway.

Here's an updated detail matrix showing the tooling combinations used for each of the new versions

attachicon.gifPClassDetaiLMatrix2.JPG

We couldn't produce a pure SECR version due to the lamp brackets on the front and the smokebox without the bands of rivets not being present in the tooling suite.

I've made a new thread dedicated to discussing this new batch of locomotives.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134771-2nd-batch-of-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-due-august-2018/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

It does, thank you 

• Like 1

Damn I already have three of these and now they release a ROD version, I was hoping they would release that livery at the beginning and assumed it wouldn't be done. Looks like another train that will be added to the collection :) 

• RMweb Gold

I've just taken delivery of an SE&CR P class, and I'm knocked out by what a stunner it is. Runs superbly well out of the box, as well. Full marks to all involved! And like Maltesers, I immediately want another one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the dance hall brake as represented by the Cambrian kit didn't come out until 1923, a bit late to go with most pre-war liveried SE&CR locos, I would have thought. Come on, Hattons, how about a proper pre-grouping brake van?

(There's even a 6-wheel 20 ton one that's been preserved that you can go and measure up, at the Kent and East Sussex Railway!)

A  3D printed kit of the above is available here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/L6DEMGDN4/a-76-secr-6w-brakevan-1

Quite pleased with the result of my effort. Fairly simple to build, it being basically a one piece model. Time spent smoothing the finish with repeated layers of paint and fine sandpaper is

worthwhile. Seen here bringing up the rear of train of cambrian kits.

post-11919-0-55451700-1528402425_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Having seen the brake on a short goods behind 754 a few weeks ago, Stephen, I really need to get one of Simon's brake vans. Pricey, and WSF really isn't the best material to use (You've seen my efforts with it!). I might see what other SECR Brake Van Diagrams existed and get Linny (SkinnyLinny on here) to get some laser cut card kits done.

He has enough on his plate getting a 6-wheel push-pull set done for these though! Actually, I think you might be interested in those unless they're too early for 'Sussex-by-the-Sea'?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes

Having seen the brake on a short goods behind 754 a few weeks ago, Stephen, I really need to get one of Simon's brake vans. Pricey, and WSF really isn't the best material to use (You've seen my efforts with it!). I might see what other SECR Brake Van Diagrams existed and get Linny (SkinnyLinny on here) to get some laser cut card kits done.

He has enough on his plate getting a 6-wheel push-pull set done for these though! Actually, I think you might be interested in those unless they're too early for 'Sussex-by-the-Sea'?

I have looked at the push pull,  but painting a grey brakevan is in a different league to painting and lining coaches. Also the limitations of the material will be that much more obvious with the coaches however much sanding and finishing you do.  

• Like 1

I didn't mean the 3D Printed ones! I know the ones you mean though.

I meant these laser-cut card kits. They're in development still, but they will be cheaper than the prints and will probably look better too: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130588-great-southern-railway-fictitious-laser-cutting-lbscr-coaches-coaching-stock/page-37

I hope to get hold of some of Linny's Stroudley's too: https://linnyslaser.wordpress.com/

At £9.00 per kit they really are good value!

• RMweb Premium

I didn't mean the 3D Printed ones! I know the ones you mean though.

I meant these laser-cut card kits. They're in development still, but they will be cheaper than the prints and will probably look better too: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130588-great-southern-railway-fictitious-laser-cutting-lbscr-coaches-coaching-stock/page-37

I hope to get hold of some of Linny's Stroudley's too: https://linnyslaser.wordpress.com/

At £9.00 per kit they really are good value!

With you, following that thread now with interest.

• Like 1

Yes, I have started work on Linny's Stroudleys, which will be the perfect accompaniment for the forthcoming Terrier (assuming Dapol can improve upon their recent OO output), albeit I plan to adapt them to use brass W irons. 

There are some enhancements being developed for the ex-LCDR 3-set, including tab in slot construction. A very clever design. 

The beading is fiddly, so practice makes perfect.  My first attempt (below) is far from perfect, but with practice and patience I think a very respectable result can be obtained.

post-25673-0-50533900-1528443075_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Linny did mention that he was looking forward to one of us posting an attempt!

And very respectable yours is too - I need to work out what the shortest possible rake of these is that I can prototypically use.

Wonderful news indeed. My favorite locomotive model from last year without a doubt and there were some outstanding models released last year.

One question: I was under the impression that ROD locomotives were black or dark grey but these are green. Is there evidence for the green? Were they returned to the UK in that color?

Thanks for any replies.

Wonderful news indeed. My favorite locomotive model from last year without a doubt and there were some outstanding models released last year.

One question: I was under the impression that ROD locomotives were black or dark grey but these are green. Is there evidence for the green? Were they returned to the UK in that color?

Thanks for any replies.

They did not spend long in Europe and would not have been repainted.

They left Ashford in the Olive green without varnish with the yellow ROD and numbers (27 and 753) painted on the sides. And were shipped across on the 24th April 1915.

They were assigned ROD numbers 5027 and 5752 once over the channel. Wether the locos were touched up and given these numbers, I do not know and people on the Bluebell project 27 do not know either. 753 has carried ROD livery in preservation with 5753 painted on the sides though.

They came back 30th October 1916. 753 was heavily damaged. So she entered the works right away and was reprinted in grey. 27 arrived at Dover dockyard, re painted grey and set to work at Folkestone. So they never carried this livery or numbers on SECR metals.

Edited by JSpencer

They did not spend long in Europe and would not have been repainted.

They left Ashford in the Olive green without varnish with the yellow ROD and numbers (27 and 753) painted on the sides. And were shipped across on the 24th April 1915.

They were assigned ROD numbers 5027 and 5752 once over the channel. Wether the locos were touched up and given these numbers, I do not know and people on the Bluebell project 27 do not know either. 753 has carried ROD livery in preservation with 5753 painted on the sides though.

They came back 30th October 1916. 753 was heavily damaged. So she entered the works right away and was reprinted in grey. 27 arrived at Dover dockyard, re painted grey and set to work at Folkestone. So they never carried this livery or numbers on SECR metals.

Fantastic. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Inspired by the above, I've just bought and have been reading "Railway Operating Division" by Aves. An excellent book and gives all kinds of good modelling ideas. Recommended.
  • Like 1

Well, I could no longer resist and bought No.323 'Bluebell', and what a darling little model it is. Truly, one of the best r-t-r models out there, with a esquisit livery application, especially on the steam reverser.

I particularly like the dummy screw-link coupling, if only the bag of bits could be sold separately, as they're all useful.

Could I be tempted in No.178?

And well done Hattons

Edited by Tic-toc
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

I'm pleased to say that we've received our second batch of P Class locomotives a little earlier than originally anticipated.

They've been booked on to our system and we're now working to get them despatched before the weekend.

In this second batch we've got two ROD versions available for the first time as well as a new variant in SECR lined green and BR black with early emblem.

They're all still available to order for £99 each on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2