SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

The Farish coaches, while entirely generic, ............... LNER teak, GWR chocolate and cream and one someone had painted extremely well into BR blue as London Transport pseudo-Dreadnought coaches ..................................

Surely they were meant to be LMS vehicles - and quite a good representation for the time ..................... the one livery you didn't mention as it happens !

Surely they were meant to be LMS vehicles - and quite a good representation for the time ..................... the one livery you didn't mention as it happens !

LMS livery is the one I have never actually owned! You are quite possibly correct as to their nearest prototypes, but I always thought the bolection mouldings around the windows most closely suggested GWR origins, although I don't think the roof profile wouldn't match any GW prototype I have seen.

I should add that I am not an expert on either of those railways' rolling stock types.

I would agree with Adrian, above, on the corridor versions resembling Maunsell stock, although, once again, they were nowhere near accurate for those.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

...Back in the day (early 70s?), these must have been a lifesaver for RTR modellers in terms of providing an alternative to the BR Mk1s in pre-nationalisation colour schemes that Hornby were offering...

They would have been, if they had been readily available from most model railway retailers. I recall being gobsmacked at a layout featured in a mag. circa 1970 - probably the Constructor - where the owner had multiple trains of these coaches, and in all the livery variations.

As for the likeness to prototype question, LMSish was the general feeling, but also useful for SR and GWR. LNER, not really...

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

They would have been, if they had been readily available from most model railway retailers. I recall being gobsmacked at a layout featured in a mag. circa 1970 - probably the Constructor - where the owner had multiple trains of these coaches, and in all the livery variations.

Having grown up in Poole in the 70s/80s, I'm compelled to wonder if the ones my Dad had were bought straight from the factory.

• RMweb Gold
Hi all,

I'm happy to say that we've had an updated regarding delivery of the remaining P Class models in SECR green (H4-P-001 and 002)

They're currently en route, accompanied by our forthcoming Beilhack snowploughs, and we're expecting to receive them in to stock on Wednesday 23rd May 2018.

Thank you everyone for your patience whilst waiting for them but it looks like Bluebell and the other P's have managed to tide people over.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 6

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that we've had an updated regarding delivery of the remaining P Class models in SECR green (H4-P-001 and 002)

They're currently en route, accompanied by our forthcoming Beilhack snowploughs, and we're expecting to receive them in to stock on Wednesday 23rd May 2018.

Thank you everyone for your patience whilst waiting for them but it looks like Bluebell and the other P's have managed to tide people over.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the update.  Worth the wait, I'm sure

I was just about to ask if there was a date for the SECR green Ps, so thanks for the update!

I was, however, having trouble getting my head around the concept of a P class with a Beilhack snowplough...  :jester:

• Like 3

I was just about to ask if there was a date for the SECR green Ps, so thanks for the update!

I was, however, having trouble getting my head around the concept of a P class with a Beilhack snowplough...  :jester:

Whilst I was having trouble getting my head around the concept of a P Class pulling 3 60' coaches, but I suspect that at scale, Hattons' model is considerably more powerful than its prototype!

As I have both the SECR and ploughs on order, I'll be able to advise what that looks like the end of May.

Whilst I was having trouble getting my head around the concept of a P Class pulling 3 60' coaches, but I suspect that at scale, Hattons' model is considerably more powerful than its prototype!

OK, what I will do is put an SECR P at each end of my SECR birdcage stock and then a Beilhack snowplow on each end of that train. It should make an impressive sight!

Possibly that's not quite what Wainwright intended by 'push-pull'!

Consider it the ultimate expression in rule number one. I could swap the middle coach for a Hattons/Heljan Garret too....

• Like 1

OK, what I will do is put an SECR P at each end of my SECR birdcage stock and then a Beilhack snowplow on each end of that train. It should make an impressive sight!

Well at least it won't get stuck doing the Santa Specials!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the Hattons guys and girls seem to be working hard as ever, this time notifying me of a SE&CR P class just been picked. Earlier than expected! Must have been a smooth crossing!

Many thanks, awaiting now with bated breath for the postie on Monday, or Saturday maybe! (ISB reference unintentional but nice!)

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

As some of you have noticed, we've received the remaining P Class locomotives today.

We've been checking over everything to make sure all is well before despatch and we're now starting to process through pre-orders.

post-28458-0-05981500-1526473949_thumb.jpg

All versions of the P Class are still available to order for £99 each on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-05981500-1526473949_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Afternoon all,

As some of you have noticed, we've received the remaining P Class locomotives today.  .......

Excellent news, thank-you.

Two questions ;

1:  Are the two SE&CR versions exactly the same except for the numbers ?

2:  When will next commissions be announced ?   :sungum:

I can answer the first one - no they're not! 753 has the larger side tanks and taller cab, while 178 has the smaller versions of them. There may be smaller detail differences, but these are the most noticeable differences.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news, thank-you.

Two questions ;

1:  Are the two SE&CR versions exactly the same except for the numbers ?

2:  When will next commissions be announced ?   :sungum:

Hi Phil,

1. There are some subtle differences between the two versions. 178 features short cab and tanks, plain rear cab windows and a single row of rivets on the smokebox. 753 has the tall cab and tanks, bars over the rear cab windows and two rows of rivets on the smokebox.

They are both supplied with stepped buffers pre-fitted but also include bottle buffers in the detailing pack for those wanting to fit them.

2. We're working on a few projects at the moment, as soon as we're ready to announce we'll make sure you know about it.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

Well done, indeed, to Hattons

This was a great choice - an attractive prototype catering for pre-Grouping, Grouping, industrial users, BR and preservation.  

I hope that Hattons can continue to find such subjects, both in the field of locos and of rolling stock.

That said, there are still some notable omissions in the coverage of 0-6-0 goods engines - thought the gaps are closing - GNR, NER, LNWR and LB&SCR spring to mind. 

2. We're working on a few projects at the moment, as soon as we're ready to announce we'll make sure you know about it.

Cheers,

Dave

Wainwright D class 4-4-0. You know it would be a winner in this livery ....