SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

On 06/08/2022 at 10:43, jafcreasey said:

For the record, Hattons confirmed this week that they "no longer have any P class spares available" (as was seeking a couple of replacement lamp irons and steps).

Eek, I'm not sure how good that might be if some locos are still within their warranty period, presumably if there are any such issues it would be a full replacement then

• 2 months later...
On 08/08/2022 at 12:00, HExpressD said:

Eek, I'm not sure how good that might be if some locos are still within their warranty period, presumably if there are any such issues it would be a full replacement then

If no spares are available it makes listing a broken one at £80 seem a bit unfair

https://www.hattons.co.uk/949062/hattons_originals_h4_p_008_po08_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_31323_in_br_black_with_late_crest_pre_owned_missing_chimne/stockdetail

What on earth happened to this poor thing?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/971047/hattons_originals_h4_p_004_po08_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_a325_in_sr_lined_maunsell_green_with_maunsell_lettering_pre/stockdetail

33 minutes ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Probably flogging off the returns that are not worth their time repairing.

Parts such as chimneys, steps and buffers are readily available elsewhere from places like SE Finecast, Branchlines, PDK, Gibson, Comet, etc.

Think of them more as a project.

Jason

1 hour ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

I am stunned by the prices of this pair. Especially the second, non running hit by an RPG round... What would you do with it? 

I don't think market forces set this price. At least I cannot think of a market of people desperate to buy a bad condition model!

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I am stunned by the prices of this pair. Especially the second, non running hit by an RPG round... What would you do with it? 

I don't think market forces set this price. At least I cannot think of a market of people desperate to buy a bad condition model!

Repair it and then paint it a proper colour like black?

Looks to me like something inside such as a chip has overheated. I've already got two and a SEF one which is enough for a class of eight!

If they don't sell, they generally get reduced after a few weeks or put on that auction thing they have.

You can ask them questions though. Nudge, Nudge!   😜

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seasons greetings everyone.

I was lucky enough to receive a Hattons P class in ROD livery.

I started its running in periods and it ran very smoothly however stalled on my points.

A quick inspection showed that 50% of the pickups were not in permanent contact with the backs of the wheels.

No big problem I thought, so I let it run in and today got ready to remove the base plate to get at the pickups and reshape.

First issues is some pillock had glued the brake gear in place so i had to firmly prise this off :(

Adjusted the pickups and lubed the bearings and gears.

Put her back together and she now runs like a three legged cow :(

Kind of lumps with the leading 'spring' wheels seeming to cause the rear drivers to twist and get coupling lock.

I've fettled and fiddled for ages and am now at my witts end.

Got so locked up once that the gears slid!

Any suggestions? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Sounds as if you've possibly disturbed the quartering. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob, I'd agree with you but I honestly don't see how? The base plate was lifted off, pickups adjusted, lube added then reassembled.

I am suspicious of that sprung axel at the front however, maybe giving to much slack to the rods?

• RMweb Gold

Morning Mike,

I've somehow ended up with ten of these in various liveries. I've not experienced the issues you've got, despite carrying out similar work to you. 

The main issue I had was one which was a little jerky. This was traced to the motor not being properly seated in it's mounting. A gentle squeeze to reseat and all was well. 

All the others, including the two RODs have run beautifully from day one. They are a bit of a benchmark for excellent running so to have one doing as you describe is unusual. 

Mindful all was relatively well, prior to dismantling, have you checked that when you reassembled the baseplate, brake gear etc, nothing was capable of fouling the spokes, causing the wheels to lock ? Pick up, sandpipe etc ? 

If not quartering, then this is the only other thing I can think of. 

With such a marked difference in running sadly, this is in all probability down to something relatively simple related to the disaasembly/reassembly. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Mike,

I've somehow ended up with ten of these in various liveries. I've not experienced the issues you've got, despite carrying out similar work to you. 

The main issue I had was one which was a little jerky. This was traced to the motor not being properly seated in it's mounting. A gentle squeeze to reseat and all was well. 

All the others, including the two RODs have run beautifully from day one. They are a bit of a benchmark for excellent running so to have one doing as you describe is unusual. 

Mindful all was relatively well, prior to dismantling, have you checked that when you reassembled the baseplate, brake gear etc, nothing was capable of fouling the spokes, causing the wheels to lock ? Pick up, sandpipe etc ? 

If not quartering, then this is the only other thing I can think of. 

With such a marked difference in running sadly, this is in all probability down to something relatively simple related to the disaasembly/reassembly. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob

I've spent ages with it disassembling and reassembling under great magnification looking for the slightest tolerance difference.

Currently she runs well enough but if you go really slow, she will still lock or will limp, but not at a slightly higher speed??? Also fine in reverse.

Most odd.

I've written to Hattons technical just in case they might have some tips, I don't want to send it back as I've fitted a lot of details now. Thanks for your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hattons Dave changed the title to SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Excellent news. a) that such a wonderful model is being reintroduced

b) that hattons is still in the manufacturing/commissioning game despite moving the 66 to AS

c) that the prices is LESS than the original release... WOW, for one of the best RTR small steam locos out there.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 19/01/2021 at 13:41, Mr chapman said:

I'm hoping for another olive model as I'm after one. I would also buy a SECR goods green model that I don't think has been done yet. 

Well money where my mouth is. Goods green and olive green ordered. And a bluebell thrown in for good measure! At those prices it would be rude not to. 

Thanks hattons!

Now how about a train pack with some genesis coaches...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wanted bluebell since I missed out on the first batch, but was unwilling to pay upwards of £300 for it. Delighted to have my name down for one of these at £85 

thinks - if I buy a second one then I could sell it after this run sells out and make enough profit to cover both of the purchases…

(leaves in a hurry before bricks are thrown 😂)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news ! 

Orders placed. Great to see 178 being done along with another Southern lined green example. 

325 is an interesting choice. As modelled it's correct for roughly two years in it's as built condition. 1912 saw the shiney bits painted over. 

Looking forward to adding these to the other members of the class already with me. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ChicagoNick said:

The re run description shows the locomotive to be "DCC sound ready". What does that mean exactly ?. is it different from the first run ?

I think it means they have specifically left room for a speaker. The original spec included the phrase “Provision for 15x11mm rectangular speaker”. 

Roy

Now I'm very curious. Should new batch of models be more expensive or cheaper than the previous batch? One side says the price should go up because of inflation - rise in labour cost, material cost, shipping cost; the other side says it should go down because the tooling cost has been covered. Who is correct?

I know the answer has to be "depends", so the question becomes what factors does this depend on?

(This is not a manufacturer vs consumer situation, as we've seen both cases happen. Sometimes new batches are more expensive, sometimes they're cheaper. It's not a consumer's unrealistic wish. I'm also not suggesting this is a manufacturer vs manufacturer situation, as we can see both cases happen with the same manufacturer.)

Edited by toby_tl10

So very tempted and trying to find a reason to preorder one. At the moment my SECR passenger stock is being handled by the Hornby Terrier in SECR livery. I might have to sell it on (Modelu crew and all) to justify grabbing one of these little beauties.