SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Anyone else noticed erratic power when running two together double headed in DC?

I notice on my inside loop the power is surging and diminishing in waves and on the outer loop whatever P is running at the rear in a double header keeps stalling on points...

But out of the 16 or so locos on the layout it is only the Ps that behave this way when double headed... Weird.

• RMweb Gold

c'mon - they don't allow steam locos in the Chunnel ........ sets off the smoke alarms an' gets Border Force worried !

I wonder if you have perhaps invented the next challenge for Dick Strawbridge and the team from the Great Glen - lay a railway through the Channel Tunnel?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else noticed erratic power when running two together double headed in DC?

I notice on my inside loop the power is surging and diminishing in waves and on the outer loop whatever P is running at the rear in a double header keeps stalling on points...

But out of the 16 or so locos on the layout it is only the Ps that behave this way when double headed... Weird.

I suggest you try running them alongside each other, if possible. You may well find that, uncoupled, one is simply faster than the other. 

c'mon - they don't allow steam locos in the Chunnel ........ sets off the smoke alarms an' gets Border Force worried !

You could always run the Cecil Raikes ( https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/cecil-raikes-0-6-4t-mersey-railway/ ) through the Chunnel.  Designed for underground use and reasonably powerful.

But yes, the Smoke Detector Elves would get their tights in a twist!

You could modify the tunnel so that the alarms set of water jets at the same time, then you will have tunnel and carriage wash all in one.

I wonder if you have perhaps invented the next challenge for Dick Strawbridge and the team from the Great Glen - lay a railway through the Channel Tunnel?

.............. the scenery's not in quite the same league as the Great Glen so the viewing figures might suffer .......... sorry to chateau that idea !

It would be easier than James May's railway to Bideford, less people to steal the track! It could be done through the service tunnel perhaps?

P. 

• RMweb Premium

I thought there was one already.

I could certainly get behind the absence of Scottish Midges and the liquid summertime that kept falling from the sky. 

• Like 1

One particularly pleasing combination - the SR Green version of the P class and the 1970s Grafar non-corridor coaches.

20180420_201936.jpg

A video of same here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbX0nZ7W0E

Edit - video now fixed!

Cheers

Adrian

Now that has got me thinking .i happen to have a couple of Farish coaches like that and am rather attached to them.

Middle of April I got back to my layout, to do some photo's and a little bit of running as well, I don't expect to be back with it  till the end of May, I hope the other turns up before hand but then again it may not but will have to see... So a few photos from me...

I'm curious, are the SECR vans repaints, kitbuilt or RTR? Also those SECR coaches look really god - are they kit built or otherwise? 

I'm curious, are the SECR vans repaints, kitbuilt or RTR? Also those SECR coaches look really god - are they kit built or otherwise? 

They are all Cambrian kits for SECR wagons ect, they are cheap to build but effective, the coaches are my own 3D prints, which are on a suitable Jouef wagon chassis, forget which, but they have been modified to suit their new life.

Now that has got me thinking .i happen to have a couple of Farish coaches like that and am rather attached to them.

You have to untangle the coupling hooks from your jumper!! That's usually my problem when I can't put them down. :D   :jester: 

The Farish coaches, while entirely generic, are actually quite presentable for a number of uses. I have a lined olive set of four like those in the photo, and very nice they are, too.

I also used a set of LNER teak, GWR chocolate and cream and one someone had painted extremely well into BR blue as London Transport pseudo-Dreadnought coaches to go with the Heljan ex-Met Bo-Bo electric loco, although I'm still experimenting with shades of brown on those. 

They aren't accurate for any given prototype, and are probably wrong in every possible detail, but look good in almost any of the colour schemes as representatives of 'typical' non-gangwayed stock, at least from normal viewing distances.

• RMweb Premium

You have to untangle the coupling hooks from your jumper!! That's usually my problem when I can't put them down. :D   :jester: 

The Farish coaches, while entirely generic, are actually quite presentable for a number of uses. I have a lined olive set of four like those in the photo, and very nice they are, too.

I also used a set of LNER teak, GWR chocolate and cream and one someone had painted extremely well into BR blue as London Transport pseudo-Dreadnought coaches to go with the Heljan ex-Met Bo-Bo electric loco, although I'm still experimenting with shades of brown on those. 

They aren't accurate for any given prototype, and are probably wrong in every possible detail, but look good in almost any of the colour schemes as representatives of 'typical' non-gangwayed stock, at least from normal viewing distances.

I agree with you. Years ago I had a set of four that I painted in unlined maroon. I now have another half-dozen ready to build but whether that will ever happen is a moot point.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

I agree wholeheartedly and currently use examples of both the corridor and non-corridor coaches in SR, LNER and LMS liveries.  I think I remember reading that the corridor coaches were most closely related to SR prototypes, but that might be hearsay.  The LNER non-corridor coaches look fantastic behind the Metropolitan Bo-Bo.

Back in the day (early 70s?), these must have been a lifesaver for RTR modellers in terms of providing an alternative to the BR Mk1s in pre-nationalisation colour schemes that Hornby were offering.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1