N gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

I've just put my name down for APT-P DJM-APT-OO-0007, assuming that that will be the 14-car version. This will look good running round the garden railway. It should also go well with the APT-E.

This thread would be spotted more readily by 00 modellers if N Gauge was removed from the header, or maybe a separate one started for the 00 variant.

I saw the poster for it at Warley but moved on when I saw it was for N gauge because I don't model it.

I am very interested in a 00 one though. I will wait for the descriptions to be updated on Durham's website though, because I want to be sure I am ordering the correct item.

This will look good running round the garden railway. It should also go well with the APT-E.

Sadly that never happened in the full size world. E-Train had already gone to the NRM before even the smallest P-Train was assembled.

The nearest they got was shown in this pic, the grey vehicle on the far right was the first P-Train Trailer Car to be built, later becoming Lab 8 Pilot.

F7BaVQ.jpg

• Like 5

Ah, the APT. Now that is what the future should have looked like. ;)

This iconic train fascinated me when I was young and I always regret that I never got to ride on one. I have 2 of the Hornby models but a full scale N gauge version would be very exciting. I know one has been scratch-built in N gauge but that is beyond the skills of most of us. I look forward to seeing how this progresses and to see what cool pictures turn up on this thread. ;)

Sadly that never happened in the full size world. E-Train had already gone to the NRM before even the smallest P-Train was assembled.

The nearest they got was shown in this pic, the grey vehicle on the far right was the first P-Train Trailer Car to be built, later becoming Lab 8 Pilot.

F7BaVQ.jpg

Wow, is it just me or is that not a fantastic picture? 

Look at the stock, my word, of course i saw it all at the RTC around that time as a mere sprog but never appreciated the diversity, until this pic.

Thanks for posting it!  :sungum:

• Like 2

I spoke with Durham trains today, he mentioned he had over 200 requests at Warley for a 00 one, and his numbers to make it viable were starting to look quite attractive, even though he hasn’t even announced it.

I think it’s looking like confidence is there to do a OO one as the discussion even went on to lights, couplings, connections, as well as power cars, liveries for a OO one :-)

A show of hands might be good, I think an APT in OO is also a bit overdue.

http://durhamtrainsofstanley.co.uk/my_store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=371

Ive put on my website for those interested the OO Gauge APT-P Click on the link above.

Edited by MICHAELWORRALL

Wow, is it just me or is that not a fantastic picture? 

Look at the stock, my word, of course i saw it all at the RTC around that time as a mere sprog but never appreciated the diversity, until this pic.

Thanks for posting it!  :sungum:

Glad you like it, I made a point of taking pics whenever there were significant rolling stock items in the RTC yard, usually from the top of Brunel House as in that pic.

In fact I just 'lucked' the P-Train trailer into that pic as I was trying to get E-Train and Lab 4 Hastings at the same time, Hastings Coach being the Red/Blue coach hard up against the APD Lab in the distance. 

• RMweb Gold

I’m in...

Order for OO from me.

I understand talking with Dave on Saturday, that payments will be staggered to milestones, so whilst it’s not going to be cheap.. a 14 car APT is a lot of kit for your money, the payment can be spread out.

I have 1 platform on my layout I can hold a train of that length, and 1 siding so I can run it on any of my three loops...

Edited by adb968008

I've just looked at their website and shipping is UK only, so I won't be ordering my 14 car set. :(

I shouldnt worry about that as they wont be doing the distribution of the models. 

That's going to be outsourced. Order freely  :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Cracking piece of film that.  :D

Last year I did some filming up at the Crewe Railway Heritage Centre for 'The One Show' and Peter Purves was there as well. As is the way with filming we had to wait for ages while they shot all the supporting sequences and Peter and I spent maybe 45 mins just 'talking trains'. What a fascinating guy he is, with a wide breadth of knowledge of all things railway related.

The least said about the final show the better though, as the presenter had some fixed ideas and opinions that were totally and factually wrong, and no matter how much I corrected him they edited all the correct bits out and just presented his views.  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that photo, I think I may have come to an understanding of what was wrong with APT.

It  was not the excessive tilt that caused motion sickness. It was those seat covers!

That will have been the Bay City Roller influence. Maybe that's what was playing in the RTC during development???

Dave