Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

It maybe a reference to its preserved form , in which case Era 7 is probably correct .   Having said that I've no idea how an 1888 version would differ.

The original (pre-rebuild) version had a much more spartan, almost GN-esque cab, plus a different boiler/safety valve arrange (in the dome) plus they were fitted with Westinghouse brake.

Not a great photograph, but I took it with my phone. Original (Jamieson kit) on the left, and final BR condition (GEM) on the right.

post-9382-0-74079300-1515415670_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

How else would you make money if you don't re-tool or create?

So Hornby give over the Class 90 & Class 92 to their competitors Bachmann & DJ Models which will most certainly sell out with sugar and cream on top but their lack of appetite for modern/current era prevents them from re-tooling these models?

What next, the Class 86 & Class 91 which are also crying out to be re-tooled or made by another competitor because again Hornby don't see a market in this era, really???

If that's the case then those at Hornby should be fired.

Seriously just 1 post-2010 locomotive is appalling from someone like Hornby but it does expose their allegiance to the Steam Era market which for me is very short sighted and more of a quick fix than a company with forward vision on all fronts.

Hopefully this is just a blip from Hornby and they come back in 2019 with a few modern era surprises...or maybe not.

Well he was saying he's not buying anything from Hornby because they are bankrupt and then he wants them to retool their entire "modern image" range.

How can they do that if they are bankrupt? Bankrupt means you owe more money than you have and can't pay your bills.

BTW they aren't bankrupt I'm just quoting.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

And so long as we keep buying it, they'll keep making it. If we stop, they'll stop.

Over to you lot to put your money where your mouths are for lots of J36's and Toads if you want/expect to see follow-ups on the same theme.

John

Ah, but this is where the Southern region starts to have the same problem as the Eastern region. In that the majority of your Southern general grouping or regional engines are produced and that your looking towards the pregrouping engines now too. But these operate in areas that are far more limited in terms of operation and geography than something like the areas that made up the pregrouping Eastern areas.

As a result both main manufacturers and magazines or shops are rushing to fill in the gaps of the novelty or small minor engines that can exist alongside the main steam engines and slam door EMUs that re coming from the main two companies. It means you have a tranche of stuff for the Southern region and one of two things will happen. 1. Theres too much to purchase so people start to pick and choose what they want, leaving things on shelves, or 2. People zero in on specific Southern areas and ignore some of the other southern engines that are made as they have the one that they want, but that leaves those that they don't all stuck not being sold.

The difference between Eastern and Southern is that due to little commissions and the ranges companies have followed your pre-grouping engines are being made in number!

The saving grace / hope for some / straw to clutch* (delete as appropriate) here is that when you split the analysis of demand into this and see that as more of a risk it can be easier to make something for another region that seemed less popular over all, but would be bound to sell quickly if made in a similar number. Hence engines like J21, B16 and the like suddenly seem quite obvious and a real contender.

Don't forget too that most of the Eastern region models announced so far tend to either be Anglican (where Hornby have again made most of the range to match its other releases and thus piggyback sales off each other), main express engines on the ECML or grouping mixed traffic or freight engines that traversed the whole system. As a result Hornby now have the ability to move into these areas, being North Eastern and Scottish to develop further ranges, and according to polls and statements that is where the drive for engines here is now coming from.

But that wont happen if there isn't any spaces in production because loads of Southern models are made, for a region that is over saturated with releases, and reduces the cash flow as people cant buy them all or don't want them all and then there's no resources left to make the model to vary the range that should have been made in the first place!  

Edited by The Black Hat

• RMweb Premium

Hang on a minute, haven't they forgotten to mention the cute little W.R. 16XX?

I've been hanging around wishing wells all year, just wishing for one of these.

Surely they haven't forgotten?

My dear Captain,

I too am disappointed, I feel for you not having a cute little pannier. Not one green diesel, not even one I could say I don't want. :nono: :nono:

• Like 1

I'm pleased at long last Hornby's offering an indigenous Scottish prototype for the first time in many years (they issued the Caley Single and pug, NBR J83)

This year my hard-earned cash will be spent on stuff in red boxes - a J36 in LNER livery and a LNER Toad with wooden duckets.

However I was expecting the Toad to be a new Oxford Rail announcement.

I wish Hornby great success with their J36 as I want to see a D34 "Glen" to appear in a few years time.

The Maunsell restaurant car will sell well as it's been much requested and hopefully the Bluebell Railway survivor will be restored in the next few years.

It's too early at this stage for much impact from Hornby's new CEO over his input because this year's programme would have been finalised some months ago, next year, we'll find out how much synergy will occur between Hornby and Oxford Rail/Oxford Diecast.

Isn't the D11/2 Scottish as well?

Everyone seems to forget about them.

Jason

Fantastic!  The J36 has been top of my wishlist for years.

I find the choice of liveries curious – no BR late crest version yet, and the LNER model representing a very specific and narrow time period (1923-26) when the loco was in LNER livery but still with its NBR number.  I’d have thought that 1930s condition might have been more popular – have Hornby even made any other “L&NER” lettered engines recently?  I’m not complaining though, it looks lovely in lined black, so I’ll renumber it myself and live with the ampersand.

On the down side, the chances of my getting round to fitting handrails to my half-complete Parkside Toad B have receded somewhat…

My thoughts:

a) The Southern - as with the Bachmann announcement yesterday - dominates.

b) Prices are becoming difficult to stomach.

c) The Maunsell Diner fits with what Paul Isles told me almost a year ago at the Donny show - that Hornby will expand it's existing coach ranges with complementing vehicles (I think this stands GWR, LMS and LNER diners in good stead).

d) Probably the most fallow year yet for GWR & WR models - not even a wagon in GWR livery (sans the Horsebox three-pack, but that is, strictly speaking, NPCCS!). I did think that GWR non-corridors would be next on Hornby's coaching stock 'list' but perhaps that's now one for Dapol? 

e) It is not really an interest of mine, but it looks like Hornby have finished with the D&E field. 

CoY

Well he was saying he's not buying anything from Hornby because they are bankrupt and then he wants them to retool their entire "modern image" range.

How can they do that if they are bankrupt? Bankrupt means you owe more money than you have and can't pay your bills.

BTW they aren't bankrupt I'm just quoting.

Jason

Yes agreed they are not bankrupt but I think Hornby do need to re-think the modern/current era playing field because as a modern image modeller/collector I feel very let down for 2018 and don't hold much hope for 2019.

I don't hold any allegiance to one model rail company so basically my money goes to the one who can provide the best product and feel that Hornby do have the talent and skills to deliver me that product but they just haven't done that for at least 2 years apart from the Colas 60 and now the Colas 67 which are just re-liveries, oh yes before these the Colas 56 & HST's and yes they are all outstanding models without a doubt.

I was really hoping Hornby would re-tool the Class 90 & Class 92 but since they are being done elsewhere I am now banking on them doing the re-tool for the Class 86 & Class 91.

To add a bit of perspective, since 2014 I have purchased more new Vitrains loco's than Hornby for the current era.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Jason

It was an adaptation of Great Central's original D11.

"At Grouping in 1923, the LNER found that the North British Railway (NBR) was in urgent need of new express passenger locomotives. Gresley chose not to create a new locomotive design, but instead ordered the construction of further D11 Improved Directors. This choice may have been influenced by Robinson who was acting as a consultant to the newly formed LNER. Twenty four D11s were ordered at the end of 1923, and built within a five month period during 1924. Kitson & Co and Armstrong Whitworth & Co both built twelve. The NBR locomotives had lower cabs and boiler mountings, enabling them to fit within the relatively restrictive NBR loading gauge. Flatter domes and Gresley 'flowerpot' chimneys were fitted. They also lacked the water pickup gear which the original GCR locomotives had" Source: https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d11.php

Well... Hornby's 2018 announcement was a colossal let-down!

No new models for the D&E modeller, just a few repaints and the IEP/Class 87 delayed from 2017.

Locos:

Steam: 34 (3 new)

D&E: 10 (0 new)

Coaches:

Steam: 53 (1 new)

Wagons:

Steam: 36 (1 new)

D&E: 14 (0 new)

Definately feeling that D&E really doesn't matter to Hornby! :umbrage: :resent: :nea:

• Like 1

Jason

That was just an "easy win" piggybacked from the Locomotion D11 - a squatter cab/chimney/dome and that's about it. About as indigenously Scottish as Bachmann doing an A2 with a 64B shedcode plate.

• Like 2

I assume that the LNER Toad B is described as 'new tooling' since the original version was one of the very few items of rolling stock produced by Rovex around 65 years ago. Not such good news for Parkside by Peco though - yet another recent kit development copied by an RTR manufacturer.

Nice to note that Hornby includes coach running numbers in the catalogue descriptions - full marks for that - but disappointing that once again the non-E numbers are being better provided for, it seems perverse to release odd coaches under differing regional allocations rather than providing a full house and rotating regions/liveries through production batches.

• RMweb Premium

Well... Hornby's 2018 announcement was a colossal let-down!

No new models for the D&E modeller, just a few repaints and the IEP/Class 87 delayed from 2017.

Locos:

Steam: 34 (3 new)

Coaches:

Steam: 53 (1 new)

Wagons:

Steam: 36 (1 new)

D&E: 14 (0 new)

Definately feeling that D&E really doesn't matter to Hornby! :umbrage: :resent: :nea:

And yet there’s the 87 to come and IEP 800

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but this is where the Southern region starts to have the same problem as the Eastern region. In that the majority of your Southern general grouping or regional engines are produced and that your looking towards the pregrouping engines now too. But these operate in areas that are far more limited in terms of operation and geography than something like the areas that made up the pregrouping Eastern areas.

As a result both main manufacturers and magazines or shops are rushing to fill in the gaps of the novelty or small minor engines that can exist alongside the main steam engines and slam door EMUs that re coming from the main two companies. It means you have a tranche of stuff for the Southern region and one of two things will happen. 1. Theres too much to purchase so people start to pick and choose what they want, leaving things on shelves, or 2. People zero in on specific Southern areas and ignore some of the other southern engines that are made as they have the one that they want, but that leaves those that they don't all stuck not being sold.

The difference between Eastern and Southern is that due to little commissions and the ranges companies have followed your pre-grouping engines are being made in number!

The saving grace / hope for some / straw to clutch* (delete as appropriate) here is that when you split the analysis of demand into this and see that as more of a risk it can be easier to make something for another region that seemed less popular over all, but would be bound to sell quickly if made in a similar number. Hence engines like J21, B16 and the like suddenly seem quite obvious and a real contender.

Don't forget too that most of the Eastern region models announced so far tend to either be Anglican (where Hornby have again made most of the range to match its other releases and thus piggyback sales off each other), main express engines on the ECML or grouping mixed traffic or freight engines that traversed the whole system. As a result Hornby now have the ability to move into these areas, being North Eastern and Scottish to develop further ranges, and according to polls and statements that is where the drive for engines here is now coming from.

But that wont happen if there isn't any spaces in production because loads of Southern models are made, for a region that is over saturated with releases, and reduces the cash flow as people cant buy them all or don't want them all and then there's no resources left to make the model to vary the range that should have been made in the first place!  

If, as you assume, the market for the Southern releases is already sated and sales of the new releases prove slower than for earlier ones, Hornby will get the message and adjust their geographical emphasis in future years. 

Hornby found that, having made one Southern model that sold well, more would too. You are probably correct in suggesting that it can't continue indefinitely at present levels, but the point at which sales begin to decline because we've already got everything we want will only become apparent in retrospect. 

Equally, as in most areas of life, what we or Hornby should have done also only becomes obvious in hindsight.

With the announcement of the J36, the Northern and Scottish contingent have been given the opportunity to demonstrate that their favourite patch is the place to go next. If they blow it, it will be nobody else's fault.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

My thoughts:

a) The Southern - as with the Bachmann announcement yesterday - dominates.

b) Prices are becoming difficult to stomach.

c) The Maunsell Diner fits with what Paul Isles told me almost a year ago at the Donny show - that Hornby will expand it's existing coach ranges with complementing vehicles (I think this stands GWR, LMS and LNER diners in good stead).

d) Probably the most fallow year yet for GWR & WR models - not even a wagon in GWR livery (sans the Horsebox three-pack, but that is, strictly speaking, NPCCS!). I did think that GWR non-corridors would be next on Hornby's coaching stock 'list' but perhaps that's now one for Dapol? 

e) It is not really an interest of mine, but it looks like Hornby have finished with the D&E field. 

CoY

I agree about that, Southern must be a great seller given how they've dominated both lists and GWR fans have had very little to be excited about the last two days.  I wonder if the King not being particularly successful has put them off?

Some non-corridor Collett stock would be fantastic, I really don't understand why they've not made them yet to be honest.

It's a shame but I hope this reduced range will be a success and get them back into making a profit and it gives me more chance to save money for the new Dapol releases.

Edited by GWR8700

It was an adaptation of Great Central's original D11.

"At Grouping in 1923, the LNER found that the North British Railway (NBR) was in urgent need of new express passenger locomotives. Gresley chose not to create a new locomotive design, but instead ordered the construction of further D11 Improved Directors. This choice may have been influenced by Robinson who was acting as a consultant to the newly formed LNER. Twenty four D11s were ordered at the end of 1923, and built within a five month period during 1924. Kitson & Co and Armstrong Whitworth & Co both built twelve. The NBR locomotives had lower cabs and boiler mountings, enabling them to fit within the relatively restrictive NBR loading gauge. Flatter domes and Gresley 'flowerpot' chimneys were fitted. They also lacked the water pickup gear which the original GCR locomotives had" Source: https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d11.php

I know. But they only ever worked in Scotland apart from maybe an occasional journey over the border.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Two of teh big boys have announced their new stuff, keeping an eye on freight stock there is still no decent RTR standard LMS van or a LMS/BR five plank wagon with wrinkly tin ends.Come on Oxford delight us late grouping and BR modellers to a LMS van and open.

{Big Snip}

I'm sure the the likes of Hornby & Bachmann would pay dearly for your unbiased knowledge & deep perception of the past/future model railway markeplace.

Or maybe it's jut a case of Southern modellers just doing a quiet and much better job of lobbying the manufactures for the items they would like?

Due to your railway insight, perhaps you could tell us why, at this very minute, is the ECML  being LIDARed between Team Valley and Aycliffe?  (Now moved on to the Newcasle and Carlisle.)

https://www.flightradar24.com/REV4ND/101091bc

Over & Out

I. M. Kurious

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Nothing there for me, having known about the J36 for a while now, I was hopeful for something new (tooled) modern. I can’t really justify a Colas 67. Not complaining at all, give my bank balance a rest, give me chance to save for next year, and (even better) maybe even scratchbuild what I was hoping for. (KUA wagon)

So, five pages and forty or so minutes after the announcment.

Is it only me that find people's reactions to the announcement more interesting the the announcement itself? (As interesting as is. [& Bachmanns ] )

P

It's a surprise BBC News are't giving live coverage and getting reactions off people.

• RMweb Gold

I agree about that, Southern must be a great seller given how they've dominated both lists and GWR fans have had very little to be excited about the last two days.  I wonder if the King not being particularly successful has put them off?

Some non-corridor Collett stock would be fantastic, I really don't understand why they've not made them yet to be honest.

It's a shame but I hope this reduced range will be a success and get them back into making a profit and it gives me more chance to save money for the new Dapol releases.

I think you may well be correct about the King - though there are new runs of other GWR 4-6-0s, maybe it blunted their enthusiasm for all-new tooling. I'm a bit dubious about the livery choice for the Collett coaches, though; the maroon ones seemed to disappear a lot quicker than the first batch of crimson/cream ones did.

The thing with this year's Southern releases is that only the Lord Nelsons and the restaurant car are all-new, some are variations (H, MN and the crimson/cream SO), and the rest of the locos and coaches are repeats with new identities. Hornby are getting a lot of mileage out of relatively little investment. The repeats of BR green Maunsells, previous runs of which are known to be much sought after, will help to cross-sell the locos.

Given their plans for the Mogul and Large Prairie, you may also be correct in anticipating that Dapol are most likely to be the source of the coaches you want.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1