Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

Anything happening on trainsets , or is my suspicion that the traditional market has collapsed confirmed?

There are at least two trainsets on the first page of the Hornby website.

One with a Caledonian 0-4-0ST and an East Coast set with a B17 and B/C Mark Ones. I think the B17 is West Ham United.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

Yes I get you're point. The Hornby range isn't that well balanced and features many big steamers .  I do wonder at the wisdom of introducing a new streamlined Coronation. Will that have such a wow factor that people will rush out to replace what they've got. I'm not so sure as I thought the existing model (dating from 2001 ish?) was pretty good .  I think people will be more likely to replace their Bachmann Lord Nelson, but again its a risk that folk will baulk at the cost and stick with what they've got, especially if they've customised them . I do then wonder if actually this is the risky business plan and one that would have generated more would have been to model say a 313/314/315/507/508 , or something like that, that hasn't previously been modelled.

Nevertheless its a good selection in I think pretty adverse times .

I hope the lack of Railroad stuff is that a new range is being reviewed for 2019 .

Anything happening on trainsets , or is my suspicion that the traditional market has collapsed confirmed?

I think the LN is a pretty bold step but then Hornby have always liked big engines so it fits the mould and obviously they believe that Southern sells so they might well have a winner with it although I agree very much with your views on the streamlined Coronation but it does have the advantage that there is a real (sort of) one out there and that sort of presence can have an effect on sales. Overall I think they've hit several good marketing buttons provided they get deliveries on time.  The J36 being a really good one as it times nicely for the 2018 centenary plus meeting the oft voiced cries from the Scottish modellers and the Maunsell diner is a brilliant move in my opinion - let's hope it sells and opens up the market for those of us following other Railways.

As far as units are concerned the 387 might be the one to go for if they are going to go for one at all but they then run into the 'number of vehicles' impact on pricing which might not work as well for an everyday train as it does for something rather more special like a Class 800.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Exactly so - coming back to things which sell at a good rate of return.  And of course for many youngsters of today their only experience of railways is at a preserved/leisure line on a day out where they see and travel on trains worked by steam engines (various) in liveries ranging from Pre-Group to late BR.

And, of course, many of them won't have been born when Bachmann last produced a batch of 43xx. :jester:

One final thing: I don't think the grey pound is as elastic as Hornby might believe..... Perhaps the market is about to change and my concern is that Hornby will get caught with their knickers around their ankles having annoyed a lot of non-steam modellers with lacklustre and poor quality non-steam products.

Thank you for your post, it conveyed my point in a far more eloquent way. I do not like pre-ordering from a company that appears to be in a dire state, thus I shall not pre-order the Colas 67 (especially when the Colas orange is wrong) or GWR 153 incase they go bankrupt. I cancelled my pre-order for the GWR 800004 last year, as I wanted a 800/0 that has the correct livery and is in service. Silly me, thought one might of appeared in the 2018 range! 

Though, I remind myself something positive. This 2018 range would of been decided in February 2017, under the old management. Now with them gone, or put in their place, perhaps we have to ride 2018 out and look to 2019 when we shall be wonderfully impressed with Hornby, as has Bachmann done to us yesterday. 

There are several modern locos and units in the Hornby range crying out to be re-tooled, as well as prototypes out there which are not yet modelled. Lets hope the new management learn lessons quick and by next month have seen how desperately narrow the 2018 line up looks and corrects it for 2019. 

post-31247-0-12079200-1515487915_thumb.jpg

2018 RANGE COMPETITION

WIN £500.00 WORTH OF RAILS VOUCHERS.
To enter simply purchase one of the new 2018 catalogues and pre-order at least one item from any of the new ranges by 28/02/18. (Winner announced 01/03/18)

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the LN is a pretty bold step but then Hornby have always liked big engines so it fits the mould and obviously they believe that Southern sells so they might well have a winner with it although I agree very much with your views on the streamlined Coronation but it does have the advantage that there is a real (sort of) one out there and that sort of presence can have an effect on sales. Overall I think they've hit several good marketing buttons provided they get deliveries on time.  The J36 being a really good one as it times nicely for the 2018 centenary plus meeting the oft voiced cries from the Scottish modellers and the Maunsell diner is a brilliant move in my opinion - let's hope it sells and opens up the market for those of us following other Railways.

As far as units are concerned the 387 might be the one to go for if they are going to go for one at all but they then run into the 'number of vehicles' impact on pricing which might not work as well for an everyday train as it does for something rather more special like a Class 800.

If the Maunsell RF proves as popular as I think it will, it should bode well for a new LMS 12-wheeler, retooled to a standard that doesn't look stupid next to their other Staniers.

John  

• Like 1

As hoped for  :danced:  :yahoo:

THANKS Hornby :locomotive:

:mail:

To order today

Nelson Class Sir Francis Drake

SR Maunsell restaurant car 

SR open third

another SR Maunsell cattle van [new number]

others i like

Maude looks great

new Princess Coronatian, depending what the new tooling brings.

LNER brake van

Exactly so - coming back to things which sell at a good rate of return.  And of course for many youngsters of today their only experience of railways is at a preserved/leisure line on a day out where they see and travel on trains worked by steam engines (various) in liveries ranging from Pre-Group to late BR.

At a recent exhibition I asked a well respected trader what he now sells most of.

The strongest sales are modern image especially EWS / DB / Colas liveries and British Railways steam and diesel.

Sales of pre 1948 liveried locos have been steadily dropping for some time, as sadly have those who can remember seeing them in action.

Wow.

Expensive year for me I think. Loads of Southern stuff and streamlined Coronations. :)

Highlights are the return of the Observation Car (never got one first time round) and the Maunsell Restaurant Car. I knew I shouldn't have bought any.......

The concern I have, and no doubt others too, is that there's a massive amount this year from both red and blue teams for the Southern region and that's on top of everything else already announced. Why am I concerned? Despite all this being announced they will still want more...

• Like 1

The Vent Van with TTS sound certainly appears interesting.......no more silent wagons and consists?

I'm somewhat curious as to what it will sound like. What sort of things are carried in a vent van that are noticeably noisy?

There are more plausible contenders for a sound-fitted wagon. Cattle wagons, for example - imagine a rake of them mooing all round the layout!

I have to agree Hornby's modern releases are a bit thin but some nice potential buys such as the Colas 67 and maybe the 50s but I cant help feeling they are their own worst enemies with the constant livery and detail errors. I know I am often reluctant to pre order as you never know how accurate the livery will be until it arrives.

I remember one year they produce a class 31,56 and 60 all in triple grey they all had different shade of triple grey on each model! Only the 31 was correct colour as they had used the same colour match from the Rail Express Ltd coal livery model.

I cant be alone in this and this must then make the pre orders look worse and then I only buy the models once I have seen the livery and it is correct.

I thought with Bachmann not announcing the Electrostar yesterday, it was down to Hornby today. The Electrostar (375/377/379/387 - minus different cabs of the 357, 376 and Captialstar) are the most successful privatisation train with 2805 units made. From Kings Llyn to Southampton, Margate to Newbury (from December 2018). Their geographical spread and range of liveries would of been perfect for Hornby to capture. 

Saying that, now we know Bachmann are working on the Turbostar family and they have publicly stated other future projects, which might or might not be in development with announced items, shall be announced only when they have substance to show. Could mean the Electrostar family is being researched and designed at the same time of the Turbostar. Naturally, three metre shorter body shells, but surely when getting the drawings from Bombardier, they have asked for the Electrostar drawings too. 

Perhaps a missed opportunity for Hornby, but gosh I would prefer Bachmann to make the Electrostar to the highest level of detail. 

From what I've seen of it, young modellers are just as likely to follow pre-1948 practice as post-1968 so I think the commonly-held assumptions about grey pounds may be misplaced.

John

Not in my experience. Of course I've met two or three youngsters who model steam when exhibiting and staffing the Dolgellau exhibition, our local vicar's son is a die hard Kettleista who loves to come down to help out when he can, but the majority of under 55 modellers I know or have met over the years have been transition era, BR blue or BR sector modellers. More to the point, people are constantly saying the hobby is ageing and dying off, yet there are crowds of young and not so young enthusiasts who congregate on stations like Stafford watching the contemporary scene, filming it and recording it. I'm sure that when they come round to wanting to dabble in model railways, as they surely will, they will be looking in vain for models of what they were filming and recording. Perhaps the hobby is "ageing" because new modellers from contemporary rail enthusiasts can only find obscure steam types they've never heard of and think it's an old man's hobby.

At a recent exhibition I asked a well respected trader what he now sells most of.

The strongest sales are modern image especially EWS / DB / Colas liveries and British Railways steam and diesel.

Sales of pre 1948 liveried locos have been steadily dropping for some time, as sadly have those who can remember seeing them in action.

Is that possibly just whats available for selling though?

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your post, it conveyed my point in a far more eloquent way. I do not like pre-ordering from a company that appears to be in a dire state, thus I shall not pre-order the Colas 67 (especially when the Colas orange is wrong) or GWR 153 incase they go bankrupt. I cancelled my pre-order for the GWR 800004 last year, as I wanted a 800/0 that has the correct livery and is in service. Silly me, thought one might of appeared in the 2018 range! 

Though, I remind myself something positive. This 2018 range would of been decided in February 2017, under the old management. Now with them gone, or put in their place, perhaps we have to ride 2018 out and look to 2019 when we shall be wonderfully impressed with Hornby, as has Bachmann done to us yesterday. 

There are several modern locos and units in the Hornby range crying out to be re-tooled, as well as prototypes out there which are not yet modelled. Lets hope the new management learn lessons quick and by next month have seen how desperately narrow the 2018 line up looks and corrects it for 2019. 

You can order direct from Hornby, but why do that as the likes of Hattons are offering at a discount . So you are not ordering anything from a company in dire straits. If the worst happens, and I sincerely hope it doesn't. then your order will simply be cancelled and you've lost nothing. 

I think you are being a bit unfair on Hornby . They are introducing three locos that were not previously in their range and a dining car so I think that's pretty positive . I agree though that if you are a modern modeller then you are probably pre disposed to Bachmann, simply because in the past they've made the running there. I didn't notice an awful lot of new things suitable for you there yesterday though, other than the 25(assuming you can call that modern)

• Like 2