Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

J36, Pecketts, Duchess,  LN and Maunsell diner gets my vote. However I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't had a  re-run of the SECR liveried H Class but done 2 more BR variations. Think they missed a trick there. 

CORRECTION They have NOT done two more BR versions of the H tank - the late crest one quite clearly states that not only is it 'deferred from 2017' but it also is 'sold out'. I imagine at the time the artwork was being prepared for this 2018 reveal, delivery of said model was expected to fall into 2018 rather than just sneak in during the final month of 2017.

The only 2018 release as far as the H class is concerned it the early crest example with the flat bunker sides.

• RMweb Gold

If your business is in a somewhat precarious overall financial position what you need to do today is make product which sells at a good rate of return.  So it's probably not a bad idea to make sure you tap a market which you know is there rather than take a chance on one which claims to be there but which your results might show to currently offer a lower rate of return.  With plenty of money in the bank and a good financial foundation a business can perhaps afford to take a punt into currently less profitable business areas as it can stand any short term lower rates of return that might lead to.

Little doubt in my mind that if Hornby were to more actively exploit the contemporary real railway scene beyond such headline things as the Class 800 they will need to spend money on researching it and keeping pace with it and unlike Bachmann that might be a risk they are either not keen on taking or can't afford to take.  Interesting too that the commissioners, who are often literally putting their homes on the line as well as putting their money where their mouths are, tend not to go for the contemporary scene - and they also happen to be in the front line retail trade which suggests they have a pretty good handle on what sells and what the market is looking for (as some Hornby reps also know).

If anything I'd say that all of the manufacturers are moving away from their traditional source of income - essentially transition era modellers who want black steam engines and green diesels and lots of them - towards a younger customer base with much more eclectic tastes. We're seeing a lot more models of pre-WW2 prototypes in Big Four and pre-Grouping liveries and on the whole they're selling well, whereas models which not long ago filled the catalogues are now appearing in smaller numbers because, except where a model has been long awaited such as in the case of the Ivatt Duchess, they don't seem to sell as well as they used to. Similarly, pre-nationalisation liveries are becoming more commonplace on heritage railways. In both cases this is I think due to a new generation of modellers and volunteers coming to the fore who have no emotional attachment to the Sixties scene and are looking for something a bit different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but why oh why choose to release yet another loco named after someone whom many consider a war criminal?

I've seen some daft comments in these 'new release' threads over the years but this one takes the biscuit.  General Maude may well have been involved with the Suvla Bay withdrawal and thus the nasty taste which the Gallipoli campaign left in many minds but he wasn't responsible for the decision to land there or indeed to attack the peninsula.  And of course - while seemingly not obeying secret orders - he definitely did rather well in Mesopotamia and taking Baghdad.

Haig was to many an enigma and has undoubtedly been appallingly misrepresented in the populist media such as the film 'Oh What Lovely War' and in 'Lions Led By Donkeys' - both of which were works very much of their time.  The interesting thing which many overlook, or like to overlook, is that many frontline troops had a far higher opinion of Haig than they did of some politicians of that time (and definitely of Lloyd George).  It is also well worth remembering just who established the Haig Fund and the annual poppy appeal and what that does for all past service personal who need its help.

Now let's please get back to model railways.

• Like 5

Kernow to the rescue.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59807/R3662-Hornby-Class-153-Sprinter-DMU-Set-number-153-368

This must be a limited edition as it is not in the announcement here or on Hornby's site. Better not be gloss!

Description R3662 Hornby Class 153 Sprinter DMU Set number 153 368 in GWR Green livery.

New release - expected 1st Quarter 2018 - pre-orders invited

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that there is absolutely no mention or evidence of any interaction between Hornby and Oxford.

John

Presumably its too early for that. The 2018 range will have been put together last year and has probably only seem some refinement following the latest management changes. It may well have an impact on next year's range - will both ranges of Mk3 coach survive, for example.

CORRECTION They have NOT done two more BR versions of the H tank - the late crest one quite clearly states that not only is it 'deferred from 2017' but it also is 'sold out'. I imagine at the time the artwork was being prepared for this 2018 reveal, delivery of said model was expected to fall into 2018 rather than just sneak in during the final month of 2017.

The only 2018 release as far as the H class is concerned it the early crest example with the flat bunker sides.

Pardon me I stand corrected :scratchhead:  :pardon:

• RMweb Premium

Well may I pass on a huge thank you to whoever it was that arranged for Hornby to supply the Maunsell Dining Car(s); 4 of those for me I think and some more 'existing' Maunsells in new guise a possibility.

I must also humbly kneel in front of those clever dic#s that decoded the Hornby Catalogue cover and say 100 times, "You were right!" What a lovely introduction to have both an 'original' condition loco and a BR era version. My Bachman products might just get withdrawn. 

Couple of new identity Bulleid Pacifics, with Modified ROC in post 1961 condition (notes on the era part of the notes not quite correct for this loco); I'll have one please.

Lovely range of products with loads of things I would like to have if I were a rich git. As it is I'm just a git.

Yo Hornby, you are my Favourites.

O.V. Bulleid

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the Trout back in the range - albeit it'll need a quick spray of black. I would have thought this is a model which could stay in the range for years as they seem to fly off the shelves and are like gold dust on Ebay. 

It was well received and always seemed odd to me that they'd dropped it, I'd have expected it to be a permanently steady seller.

My initial thought is the difference between new releases of steam(25) and diesel(5), but I suppose theres more scope in the steam era. But im quite happy with the 60 and the 67. Electric wise the Virgin 87 looks tasty, as well as the Virgin stock and DVT. Wagons, I quite like the Seacows and the HEAs.

So not going to be too expensive for me this year!

Disappointed there is no Class 31 in the range. I think it is a good model and a BR Blue re livery was dropped from the 2016 announcements. What with mazak rot i suspect there are a few who would like to replace their crumbling collection.

Mark 

If your business is in a somewhat precarious overall financial position what you need to do today is make product which sells at a good rate of return.  So it's probably not a bad idea to make sure you tap a market which you know is there rather than take a chance on one which claims to be there but which your results might show to currently offer a lower rate of return.  

Mmm, so why have Hornby in the last two years released a Class 71 electric, a small class dedicated to a handful of routes (and which in the end had the market further diluted by a competing offer) and announced a Class 87 which according to some is a niche market that won't sell? Their finances were no better when they took the board decisions to proceed with those models and Hornby claim to be a "full service" model maker yet they do sometimes treat their non-steam customers with disdain e.g the Mk3 buffet without roof vents. Imagine the howls of derision there would be from the Southern fraternity if the Maunsell restaurant had been designed without the correct roof or had a standard coach interior. Also, if Hornby's finances are the driving force behind the glut of steam releases, how come they didn't re-release the Intercity DVT to cash in on the impending release of the new 87? That's not a new tooling, it's a livery their factory has already done, they go for stupid money on eBay and even at £70 they would still be less than the market is currently paying. That would have been a quick win to get some cashflow, but despite doing a Virgin version the unicorn Intercity livery has been ignored. It doesn't make any sense. I really don't think the over emphasis on steam is anything to do with safe financial planning.

One final thing: I don't think the grey pound is as elastic as Hornby might believe. When Dapol announced their 43xx and 61xx models I emailed some of the Dolgellau operating gang with the news, thinking they would be very pleased with two much improved versions of locos which were a staple of the Ruabon-Barmouth line, especially as apart from me most are GWR aficionados as well. Virtually all the responses were "locomotives are getting far too expensive now" and saying that they would have to stick with existing models and detail packs. Perhaps the market is about to change and my concern is that Hornby will get caught with their knickers around their ankles having annoyed a lot of non-steam modellers with lacklustre and poor quality non-steam products.

Still fair do's they are doing the 87.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd have preferred a full fat BR Hall to the Castle and Grange but I guess you can never have too many GW 4-6-0's even if Capt Kernow seems to be switching allegiance to the flatlands in the east......

• Like 1

Mmm, so why have Hornby in the last two years released a Class 71 electric, a small class dedicated to a handful of routes (and which in the end had the market further diluted by a competing offer) and announced a Class 87 which according to some is a niche market that won't sell? Their finances were no better when they took the board decisions to proceed with those models and Hornby claim to be a "full service" model maker yet they do sometimes treat their non-steam customers with disdain e.g the Mk3 buffet without roof vents. Imagine the howls of derision there would be from the Southern fraternity if the Maunsell restaurant had been designed without the correct roof or had a standard coach interior. Also, if Hornby's finances are the driving force behind the glut of steam releases, how come they didn't re-release the Intercity DVT to cash in on the impending release of the new 87? That's not a new tooling, it's a livery their factory has already done, they go for stupid money on eBay and even at £70 they would still be less than the market is currently paying. That would have been a quick win to get some cashflow, but despite doing a Virgin version the unicorn Intercity livery has been ignored. It doesn't make any sense. I really don't think the over emphasis on steam is anything to do with safe financial planning.

One final thing: I don't think the grey pound is as elastic as Hornby might believe. When Dapol announced their 43xx and 61xx models I emailed some of the Dolgellau operating gang with the news, thinking they would be very pleased with two much improved versions of locos which were a staple of the Ruabon-Barmouth line, especially as apart from me most are GWR aficionados as well. Virtually all the responses were "locomotives are getting far too expensive now" and saying that they would have to stick with existing models and detail packs. Perhaps the market is about to change and my concern is that Hornby will get caught with their knickers around their ankles having annoyed a lot of non-steam modellers with lacklustre and poor quality non-steam products.

Well said and totally agree, how is it good business sense to get 1 Colas Class 67 sale from me whereas Bachmann will get up to 10 this year on Era10/11 locomotives and I'm sure there are plenty other modern image modellers/collectors out there whose money will not go to Hornby because of their dire current era release...buy hey all their eggs are in the Steam Era basket thus good luck to them if it props them up.

According to the Hattons listing of the Hornby 2018 range, there are 4 new Mk 3 coaches in Intercity 'Swallow' livery as well, the cat numbers precede the 4 Virgin livery versions. These aren't shown in Andy's list. They don't however have a Mk3a DVT in Swallow livery, so the Mk3 coaches are presumably intended for the Class 43 HST, as instead of 2 TSO versions as per the Virgin releases, the Swallow coaches have a single TSO and a TGS. Seems like an opportunity missed, with the Class 87 in Swallow livery due in the next 3 months. Why just do the Virgin livery version. An opportunity missed. 

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

From what I've seen of it, young modellers are just as likely to follow pre-1948 practice as post-1968 so I think the commonly-held assumptions about grey pounds may be misplaced.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Kernow to the rescue.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59807/R3662-Hornby-Class-153-Sprinter-DMU-Set-number-153-368

This must be a limited edition as it is not in the announcement here or on Hornby's site. Better not be gloss!

R3654 and R3655 are missing from the Hornby announcement as since they follow R3653 50040 in LL Blue, presumably they are Kernow's limited editions (from sneak previews) 50007 in GWR green and 50010 in LL with back blue roof? Not yet showing on the Kernow website, but it should mean they will appear around the same time?

EDIT - Class 50s are R3672 (50010) and R3673 (50007) as per KMRC website

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

I have just played a track from one of my late father's Glenn Miller LPs - "At last".

A Scottish loco -  patience has now paid off after decades of requests to the main manufacturers.

Hopefully it will sell in great numbers to encourage the production of a few more classes which would give a commercial return. When Hornby appear at the AMRSS Show in Glasgow next month they are guaranteed to be even busier than usual!

Well done for biting the bullet after so many years of us being told that a Scottish loco would not be financially viable.

All we modellers need to do now is buy them in healthy numbers.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I get you're point. The Hornby range isn't that well balanced and features many big steamers .  I do wonder at the wisdom of introducing a new streamlined Coronation. Will that have such a wow factor that people will rush out to replace what they've got. I'm not so sure as I thought the existing model (dating from 2001 ish?) was pretty good .  I think people will be more likely to replace their Bachmann Lord Nelson, but again its a risk that folk will baulk at the cost and stick with what they've got, especially if they've customised them . I do then wonder if actually this is the risky business plan and one that would have generated more would have been to model say a 313/314/315/507/508 , or something like that, that hasn't previously been modelled.

Nevertheless its a good selection in I think pretty adverse times .

I hope the lack of Railroad stuff is that a new range is being reviewed for 2019 .

Anything happening on trainsets , or is my suspicion that the traditional market has collapsed confirmed?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From what I've seen of it, young modellers are just as likely to follow pre-1948 practice as post-1968 so I think the commonly-held assumptions about grey pounds may be misplaced.

John

Exactly so - coming back to things which sell at a good rate of return.  And of course for many youngsters of today their only experience of railways is at a preserved/leisure line on a day out where they see and travel on trains worked by steam engines (various) in liveries ranging from Pre-Group to late BR.

• Like 1