Hornby TTS sound vent van

Liam

Given that a Hornby TTS sound decoder retails at about that price and you can park it in a platform bay/back of the goods yard for spot sound effects, or have it trundle around behind a goods train, AND you get a ventilated van that normally costs about a tenner, then its worth taking a punt with one.

Imagine a short pick-up goods train of them, all making different sounds.....

After a quick look - due January 2019?  Surely a bit protracted for a box van and sound decoder lash up!

Anyhow

Fav online retailers quoting £32.50 to £34 (+ delivery!), Hornby £40 (probably inc delivery).

Thinking caps time!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They could then do a cattle wagon with mooing cows.

For the truly effective experience, the cattle wagon will also come in the new sensory “smell-o-vision” experience, better appreciated from a safe working distance. Lol

• RMweb Gold

They could then do a cattle wagon with mooing cow

Or bullocks....

And how about an RMweb froth wagon - wonder what that would sound like????

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

i"m on DC so i'm not sure a TTS chip will do much for me.

But I was thinking i'd put one on an isolated siding, alternatively I could remove the chassis as a grounded van and wire it to a source, if it'll go off DC i'll just wire it to a fishplate on the track, if not plan B.

• Like 1

But I was thinking i'd put one on an isolated siding, alternatively I could remove the chassis as a grounded van and wire it to a source, if it'll go off DC i'll just wire it to a fishplate on the track, if not plan B.

Plan B then. TTS does not operate sound on DC.

Paul

It will be plan B, and maybe the start of your entry into the world of DCC.

My DCC world started very slowly, initially it was supposed to be a pair of rails exclusives class 33s, but that was cancelled.

A few years later, a bargain sound fitted 08 with Hornby's elink and I was started. Quickly followed by a Bachmann class 40 and 37.

Since then, 3 or 4 sound locos are converted or added each year. The layout is classic DC with cab control, but I assign a section to DCC when I want to run sound fitted models next to classic DC ones.

• Like 2

I have no idea what the "ambient sounds" will consist of, but I have seen a couple of layouts which had birdsong gently twittering away; these did it for me as it really set the scene of a country station even when nothing was moving. It was all it took to set the imagination/memories going, and a wagon that just did this that could be parked up would be enough to part me from my pennies.

I have no idea what the "ambient sounds" will consist of, but I have seen a couple of layouts which had birdsong gently twittering away; these did it for me as it really set the scene of a country station even when nothing was moving. It was all it took to set the imagination/memories going, and a wagon that just did this that could be parked up would be enough to part me from my pennies.

The blackbird at Adlestrop.

• 3 months later...

What puzzles me is that they're taking so long to do it! 

Unless it was announced as A:  A flagpole effort to gauge the level of interest, or B: Because they'd heard whispers that someone else was going to try it out and jumped in first.

The artists representation of the van on the Hornby website is identical to the SR 12 ton vent van (R6775) so I imagine the plan would be to make a slip-in carrier for the speaker and TTS chip with wipers going through the floor to rest against the metal wheels.  You wouldn't think that would take long to devise!

As for the sounds, there should be sounds suitable for a wagon in a train, ambient sounds for a station and goods yard, and spot effects.  If the module is to go into other vehicles, there might be livestock sounds too, which might not be immediately applicable for a box van. 

I'd pre-order one, but the proposed delivery date is a bit far off at present!