Career opportunity at Bachmann - Project Engineer

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Depends what your wand is like old bean....................................... :mosking:

Philth

I still can't get over there is no company magic wand :no2: :no2:

Photos of your favorite must have or you will die locomotive :dontknow: :dontknow:

Next your be saying no company bike to get to work on. :rtfm:

• Like 1

It is a very different world in the South East, even in locations such as the East of England take Cambridge for example £500k will not go as far as you would think. For £120-130k in these parts you would get nothing.

It may surprise you but many people are actual!y happy and content not to live in the SE.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to be living with Mum and Dad forever =D at least the mortgage is paid off on this house ;)

Matt, 26, Hove.

My advice is to check the will then arrange an accident for them, job done. If an accident is too messy you could slip something in the tea.

It may surprise you but many people are actual!y happy and content not to live in the SE.

I never said the South East was full of happy people or better in any way, but it sure is expensive! Salary figures are much much higher though (generally speaking)

• RMweb Premium

I never said the South East was full of happy people or better in any way, but it sure is expensive! Salary figures are much much higher though (generally speaking)

Mine never were, and I lived in Essex for 40 years. Nurses get paid the same across the country.

There is a small increase for those working in London but not mega bucks.

• RMweb Gold

Barwell is 100 miles from London, does that count as the south-east now? There seems to be about three thousand houses for sale between £100-200k, within 20 miles, included modern 3-bed detached, but I'm sure Bachmann are aware of this.

Mine never were, and I lived in Essex for 40 years. Nurses get paid the same across the country.

There is a small increase for those working in London but not mega bucks.

Public sector is a different subject, I did say generally in respect of earning more. In my specific example I earn just under three times what I did when I lived in the North West. This is for the exact same role and if anything the working hours and schedule were more demanding in the North.

• RMweb Gold

Whats to say the applicant wants to buy a house anyway ?

For young people it's not all about houses and mortgages. Jobs requiring travel and IT are generally work from home office these days anyway...home being anywhere...literally.

If the job was offered with occasional Asia travel to a younger IT graduate with UK travel and work from home IT development.. they'd bite your arm off, especially if they were a model railway fan with a purchasing perk / incentive from the Factory shop... they could be in the highlands of Scotland and still do it.

As an aside my late father used to be a model railway rep for one of the UK companies for over 20 years, lived in Manchester, was on the road every week (1000 miles sometimes), and only went to the HQ every month or two, so to any aspiring applicant I can say.. forget Monday to Friday 9-5, be prepared for every day being different, get used to having model railway stuff around you day and night and ensure your kids like trains !.. salary figures banded around here, would seem somewhat industry comparable.

Edited by adb968008

Sounds like a very good job for the right person which, unfortunately is not me...! The list of must have requirements ruled me out straight away.

I do hope the successful applicant likes Class 45s...

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is a very different world in the South East, even in locations such as the East of England take Cambridge for example £500k will not go as far as you would think. For £120-130k in these parts you would get nothing.

Yes - but Barwell isn't in the south east and house prices there are considerably different from those in the south east.  In fact they are much less, just look on the 'net - I found 4 bed houses for under £300,000 without having to look very hard.

Yes it is expensive, yes it always has been expensive - but that still does not put Barwell in the south east so house prices in the south east remain completely irrelevant as far as job in Barwell is concerned.

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested how many 'informed people' would actually apply for this job. Not many, I'd guess.

When I went into foundry management, It was an 'internal vacancy'. Lots of 'oohs & aahs'  but serious moves to apply? None.

When I took my new job, there was lots of wailing, & gnashing of teeth. But, as I've said, you've had your chance.

If your applicant passes muster, and can move to Barwell, job done. Worrying about house prices in a town you don't live in is quite frankly, laughable. Have you considered that the new post is commensurate with the financial trappings?

Good luck to whom might get the job.

Ian.

• Like 1

I would think it highly unlikely that they can find a suitably qualified candidate.

If they can then brilliant.

If not it comes down to which qualifications are deemed to be essential and which can be taught.

For example I would feel happy to put my hand up to all the requirements except for the use of the drawing programmes. (If I was forty years younger I might have been interested)

I might have to read up a bit on the finer points of DCC.

I am of an age where CAD was in the future and by the time it was needed there were so many students who were good at it that it was to costly an exercise for engineers to adopt.

That brings me on to salary. I would expect that to depend on just what qualities the applicants possess and how important they are deemed to be by Bachmann. There must be a relationship between paying for skills and paying for training. Any candidate with most of the skills required will not have a problem in negotiating decent terms and conditions. 

As for house prices. In many areas of London you will not find a one bedroom flat for under half a million.

Bernard

Whats to say the applicant wants to buy a house anyway ?

For young people it's not all about houses and mortgages. Jobs requiring travel and IT are generally work from home office these days anyway...home being anywhere...literally.

If the job was offered with occasional Asia travel to a younger IT graduate with UK travel and work from home IT development.. they'd bite your arm off, especially if they were a model railway fan with a purchasing perk / incentive from the Factory shop... they could be in the highlands of Scotland and still do it.

As an aside my late father used to be a model railway rep for one of the UK companies for over 20 years, lived in Manchester, was on the road every week (1000 miles sometimes), and only went to the HQ every month or two, so to any aspiring applicant I can say.. forget Monday to Friday 9-5, be prepared for every day being different, get used to having model railway stuff around you day and night and ensure your kids like trains !.. salary figures banded around here, would seem somewhat industry comparable.

the job of a rep is inherently different to that of an engineer in terms of location and office placement. And while many people do work remotely, thanks in no small part to IT/internet, the position in question may need constant close working with others at a single location. Only Bachmann know the full requirements, everyone else is just blowing in out their ****.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 29/01/2018 at 20:08, Bernard Lamb said:

I would think it highly unlikely that they can find a suitably qualified candidate.

If they can then brilliant.

If not it comes down to which qualifications are deemed to be essential and which can be taught.

For example I would feel happy to put my hand up to all the requirements except for the use of the drawing programmes. (If I was forty years younger I might have been interested)

I might have to read up a bit on the finer points of DCC.

I am of an age where CAD was in the future and by the time it was needed there were so many students who were good at it that it was to costly an exercise for engineers to adopt.

That brings me on to salary. I would expect that to depend on just what qualities the applicants possess and how important they are deemed to be by Bachmann. There must be a relationship between paying for skills and paying for training. Any candidate with most of the skills required will not have a problem in negotiating decent terms and conditions. 

As for house prices. In many areas of London you will not find a one bedroom flat for under half a million.

Bernard

2 1/2 years later and the job still appears to be open

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/category/jobs/

5 hours ago, maico said:

2 1/2 years later and the job still appears to be open

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/category/jobs/

Doesn’t really surprise me. I see permanently unfilled vacancies advertised all the time. Often they are just a wish list for unachievable combinations of expertise, experience and remuneration; the actual role is subdivided between one or more existing appointments, possibly topped up with a cost-driven appointment which doesn’t meet ANY of the original criteria. 

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Often they are just a wish list for unachievable combinations of expertise, experience and remuneration

In this particular case I don't really like the wording "Experience using Autocad, UnigraphicsNX and Solidworks is a key requirement."

I'd always rather get the right person and have them transfer skills from other CAD software (as it is in general very transferable) than rule people out based on what they have used in the past.

It does on the other hand sound like a really cool job and something I'd probably love doing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

In this particular case I don't really like the wording "Experience using Autocad, UnigraphicsNX and Solidworks is a key requirement."

I'd always rather get the right person and have them transfer skills from other CAD software (as it is in general very transferable) than rule people out based on what they have used in the past.

It does on the other hand sound like a really cool job and something I'd probably love doing.

It’s a general comment. Individual advertised vacancies often appear because the problem is already present, and the opportunity to train, or re-train someone already past. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

It’s a general comment. Individual advertised vacancies often appear because the problem is already present, and the opportunity to train, or re-train someone already past. 

Yes but being too specific with ones requirements only makes the problem grow unless you get VERY lucky!

• Like 1

• AY Mod locked this topic