Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Fwiw, My short experience, I still think the Rails one has the potential edge on the Hornby one.. The chimney, the wheels, print quality, firebox glow just feels like I have a better model. The Hornby one is nice, dont get me wrong, but a turned metal chimney on the Rails Terrier beats a painted one... its little things like that.

From what I have seen of the Hornby terriers, I still agree that Rails have produced the finer model. As many have said, Hornby's does what it says on the tin but has a slightly more toy-like quality, particularly in BR black.

If anyone reading this has both Hornby and Rail's editions of 32655 in early BR livery, it would be interesting to see the direct comparison.

• Agree 3

On 02/07/2020 at 10:22, Jack P said:

@Oliver Rails, Someone on Facebook alleges that they received their sound fitted terrier last night. Are they starting to go out?

Just had a dispatched email for my sound fitted one.

After seeing all the faults mention here i had almost cancelled it.

I just have my fingers crossed that while they were fitting the sound that they gave it a good inspection as well.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/07/2020 at 13:52, Otis JB said:

For example the awful gap on the roof (so the back of the cab can be exchanged easily for different versions), a truly awful piece of design if you ask me.

I highlighted this issues many months ago on this thread, and the response I got from the thrad, and even from Rails in an indirect reply, is that there are some inherent production compromises.

The roof issue is a direct transfer from the 7mm scale model. I really don't see why the join could not have been under the roof line, or at least in the form of a mitre joint such that the top surface of the roof would not have been interupted (with the join occurring at the gutter interface, and also properly aligned).

If I get one of these models I will certainly fill and repaint the white roof. But shouldn't have to do this on such a premium model, and it is a REAL let down, in a very visible area, compared to Hornby's offering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

True, there are some legacy issues from the 7mm design.  I cannot say that I am a fan of this feature, either, but, then again, it means I do not have a late condition A1X backsheet on my A1, which I would have endured had I purchased the Hornby version. Besides, which, for my part, I'd rather fill and make good this area than, for instance, trim and sand and fill the wash-out plugs on Hornby's firebox, hoping I could manage a perfect finish and a good enough match with the boiler colour. 

It's hardly the end of the world.  While, of course, that might be coming, this isn't it. I do admire the ability of some to get very excitable about the small things in life. It surely shows a commendable sense of proportion that must help when facing down the existential threats to our existence. 

For my part, I'll be content if I'm still alive and not on a ventilator by the time the other Rails releases arrive. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I think the cab roof join is a terrible piece of design. I would love to know why the roof could not be in one piece and the back of the cab a separate piece. I assume it’s glued to the cab sides so why does it have to continue into the roof?

I have 2 sound fitted on order and hope there are no problems with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

My 1st sound fitted one has just arrived.

Thankfully, no issues that i can see.  

The join in the roof is annoying but not as noticeable on the black.

Will test it running later.

If you get yours and the box rattles, don't worry straight away, it's just the spare DCC blanking pcb they put in the plastic packing.

Jim

Edited by JimHearne
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/07/2020 at 10:22, Jack P said:

@Oliver Rails, Someone on Facebook alleges that they received their sound fitted terrier last night. Are they starting to go out?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in a response. Yes I can confirm that the DCC fitted and DCC sound fitted models are the initially released models are beginning to be despatched. These are fitted here in the UK by Dapol and therefore are arriving with us in small batches. Initially it is the black version which have arrived. We are processing orders in date order.

The remaining models are still on track for delivery late July.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

On 07/07/2020 at 12:28, Edwardian said:

True, there are some legacy issues from the 7mm design.  I cannot say that I am a fan of this feature, either, but, then again, it means I do not have a late condition A1X backsheet on my A1, which I would have endured had I purchased the Hornby version. Besides, which, for my part, I'd rather fill and make good this area than, for instance, trim and sand and fill the wash-out plugs on Hornby's firebox, hoping I could manage a perfect finish and a good enough match with the boiler colour. 

It's hardly the end of the world.  While, of course, that might be coming, this isn't it. I do admire the ability of some to get very excitable about the small things in life. It surely shows a commendable sense of proportion that must help when facing down the existential threats to our existence. 

For my part, I'll be content if I'm still alive and not on a ventilator by the time the other Rails releases arrive. 

While of course I think we can all agree that there are much more pressing problems in the world today than the cab on the Rails terrier but you could say that about anything in the whole hobby of model railways and many other things too. This response irks me rather a lot as this is a railway modelling web and this is a pressing issue on this specific thread. Also might I add that if there really are things that mean that much more to you, then why are you taking the time to reply to me about this. Additionally, I never said I thought it was the end of the world, I just said that it is an awful design feature for a model that costs £110 and was advertised as 'the only terrier worth having', which I think is fair as do many others. 

Regards,

Otis

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, friscopete said:

110 sounds cheap to me .What planet is everyone on ?.Are we all becoming spoiled brats addicted  to far too cheap Chinese labour.Every cheap deal has a hidden price .

Well I suppose it does compared to the likes of Bachmann and Heljan's prices but maybe not when compared with the competition. Additionally, if you take Hornby's new Rocket, while not perfect it effectively costs the same as these terriers if you estimate each coaches' worth at £20 (a considerably low estimate) which is quite astonishing considering its' size, detail and fidelity. Just because Bachmann values their new 0-6-0 at £130+ doesn't mean it's worth it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Otis JB said:

Just because Bachmann values their new 0-6-0 at £130+ doesn't mean it's worth it.

To you possibly.

If it is to enough others though it’s sales will justify the market value. It’s been pointed out before that the costs are influenced by other similar markets especially with so many companies now answering to global shareholders. While Dapol may be relatively independent of that, they still rely on Chinese companies to produce though, they have to consider underpricing others too much could leave them in a bad position.

If the current situation has made anything clear it’s how little buffer many companies have to a lull in the market. 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Otis JB said:

Well I suppose it does compared to the likes of Bachmann and Heljan's prices but maybe not when compared with the competition. Additionally, if you take Hornby's new Rocket, while not perfect it effectively costs the same as these terriers if you estimate each coaches' worth at £20 (a considerably low estimate) which is quite astonishing considering its' size, detail and fidelity. Just because Bachmann values their new 0-6-0 at £130+ doesn't mean it's worth it.

Be grateful if you would give us the benefit of YOUR wisdom then as to what “worth it “ actually does mean in model rail terms. For many ,you see,that term means a sense of deep satisfaction in receiving a model to admire.Whilst you may imply that one of Bachmann’s new releases is overvalued there will be many quite prepared to purchase,even allowing for the fact that Bachmann are not noted for their deep discounting.At the moment,members of this forum are quite prepared to pay £267 for a 117  3 car unit amid glowing reports of admiration of its virtues. Try telling them it’s not “cost effective “ 

When you talk in terms of cost on this forum,you open up a whole can of  worms. 

But this is the thread for Rails Terrier,is it not ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to Terriers, could anyone recommend suitable loco crew figures? 

I have a single 0 scale Terrier and ordered figures from Modelu, one of them was too tall to fit in the cab and had to have his legs shortened so I know that finding suitable figures to fit in an 00 Terrier cab could be tricky. 

I was hoping that one of the 3D companies might produce some figures especially for the new Terriers both Hornby and Dapol. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Silly Moo said:

Back to Terriers, could anyone recommend suitable loco crew figures? 

I have a single 0 scale Terrier and ordered figures from Modelu, one of them was too tall to fit in the cab and had to have his legs shortened so I know that finding suitable figures to fit in an 00 Terrier cab could be tricky. 

I was hoping that one of the 3D companies might produce some figures especially for the new Terriers both Hornby and Dapol. 

As I am one that is vertically challenged*, I could volunteer my services ;)

*Still bump my head on Lyn regularly as you may see in my Avatar.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Be grateful if you would give us the benefit of YOUR wisdom then as to what “worth it “ actually does mean in model rail terms. For many ,you see,that term means a sense of deep satisfaction in receiving a model to admire.Whilst you may imply that one of Bachmann’s new releases is overvalued there will be many quite prepared to purchase,even allowing for the fact that Bachmann are not noted for their deep discounting.At the moment,members of this forum are quite prepared to pay £267 for a 117  3 car unit amid glowing reports of admiration of its virtues. Try telling them it’s not “cost effective “ 

When you talk in terms of cost on this forum,you open up a whole can of  worms. 

But this is the thread for Rails Terrier,is it not ?

Yes of course, anything in life is worth what people are willing to pay and that is exactly the reason why manufacturers can charge the prices they do. I actually thought that the terrier had a good, competitive price but as many have said it is just not currently justifiable with the plagues of quality control issues and design flaws. If it did what it was supposed to do and if there wasn't a very good alternative for a lot less already on the market, I would never have mentioned its' price. On the issue of the constantly rising prices of Bachmann, I have to ask you, do you not feel that at least in some regard they are starting to exploit the customers' feeling of having a nice model they can admire for extra profit? In nobody's world is a C Class in plain Southern black worth £170, especially when you remember that the tooling is 7 years old and it originally retailed for around £60. As Jennifer Kirk says, if they only had a good justification, there wouldn't be a problem but they simply don't. There are very similar models from other manufacturers that accomplish much more for much less but still Bachmann keep increasing their prices. That is not very fair to the customers that keep them in business in my opinion. In fact I think it they are treating us as an expendable horse that they can keep flogging as much as they like because they think they can get away with it.

Anyway, that's enough moaning, as you said this is a terrier thread and we should try to keep it that way. If mine arrives as advertised, I will obviously take back what I said with pleasure but I just don't think it will. 

I guess we will have to wait and see,

Kind regards,

Otis

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Otis JB said:

In nobody's world is a C Class in plain Southern black worth £170, especially when you remember that the tooling is 7 years old and it originally retailed for around £60.

I agree that the current price for their new lined (not plain) black C class is, quite frankly, extracting the urine. I simply plan to line, as well as renumber, the one that I bought a couple of years' ago for much less.

But all of this has been said in the Bachmann forum, and probably is best kept there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Otis JB said:

Yes of course, anything in life is worth what people are willing to pay and that is exactly the reason why manufacturers can charge the prices they do. I actually thought that the terrier had a good, competitive price but as many have said it is just not currently justifiable with the plagues of quality control issues and design flaws. If it did what it was supposed to do and if there wasn't a very good alternative for a lot less already on the market, I would never have mentioned its' price. On the issue of the constantly rising prices of Bachmann, I have to ask you, do you not feel that at least in some regard they are starting to exploit the customers' feeling of having a nice model they can admire for extra profit? In nobody's world is a C Class in plain Southern black worth £170, especially when you remember that the tooling is 7 years old and it originally retailed for around £60. As Jennifer Kirk says, if they only had a good justification, there wouldn't be a problem but they simply don't. There are very similar models from other manufacturers that accomplish much more for much less but still Bachmann keep increasing their prices. That is not very fair to the customers that keep them in business in my opinion. In fact I think it they are treating us as an expendable horse that they can keep flogging as much as they like because they think they can get away with it.

Anyway, that's enough moaning, as you said this is a terrier thread and we should try to keep it that way. If mine arrives as advertised, I will obviously take back what I said with pleasure but I just don't think it will. 

I guess we will have to wait and see,

Kind regards,

Otis

That’s a way over simplistic judgement and certainly a deeply pessimistic doom laden post.To soothe your anxiety,my Rails Terrier is fine.You quote Jenny Kirk ? Hers was too....

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That’s a way over simplistic judgement and certainly a deeply pessimistic doom laden post.To soothe your anxiety,my Rails Terrier is fine.You quote Jenny Kirk ? Hers was too....

Well I don't want to speak for you if you are happy with your model but Jenny Kirk, someone who is meant to be an impartial reviewer despite being 'friends with Rails', failed to mention the very noticeable design flaw of the gap on top of the cab and the prototypical inaccuracies of the BR version she had. I also don't think that is a way over simplistic judgment of Bachmann either, maybe you have too much loyalty to a brand like so many do in my opinion. I remember seeing a model news video from Mike Wild at Hornby magazine some time ago and despite the fact that it was just meant to be an unbiased, informative video, he admitted that he thought some of Bachmann's latest prices were a mistake and was quite surprised to learn that they weren't.