Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

You do all realise that at the moment there are 51 FTPE Class 185 units but sometime after 2019 when the new FTPE Mk5+Class 68 trains enter service they intend to return 22 of the 51, which makes 29 left with FTPE.

The tweeted image of some form of modern unit plus "29 surprises"? Could it be quite so cryptic?

Interesting,

Who is it they are giving them to by the way?

Edited by GWR8700

Interesting,

Who is it they are giving them to by the way?

Back to the leasing company. It'll be interesting to see where they end up as they have a bit of a weight problem which prevents them from taking advantage of the differential speed limits on some routes for Sprinters. I do wonder if they might end up with whoever is going to get the Welsh franchise, a fleet of 22 fairly new high-quality and pretty reliable units would do wonders for the North Wales to Manchester/Cardiff capacity and could still be maintained at the existing depot.

Sorry, off topic, and too logical.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

or:It's the first semi-final of this year's Eurovision Song Contest from Lisbon and Hornby International are to launch a Lisbon tram in RTR.

or: wiser heads have prevailed, the UK act has been ditched and Hornby International is the replacement singer with a heart-rending ditty about two mismatched tension lock couplings finding love.

What class of loco or type of multiple unit has 29 members?

Just a thought which might be off at a tangent to everyone else....

Les

I suddenly thought GWR manors. But nope that's 30, 7800 to 7829.

or: wiser heads have prevailed, the UK act has been ditched and Hornby International is the replacement singer with a heart-rending ditty about two mismatched tension lock couplings finding love.

Last time we got a model railway manufacturer to write our entry it went well: it came last and he had a hissy-fit about it. Yes Waterman I mean you.

• RMweb Gold

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the approach of A (for announcement ) Day because while it will at least bring an end to 'I wanna xxxxxxx'  we will lose all the totally bonkers fun posts as well and they will be replaced by a series of moans about 'why didn't they do an xxxx', 'what do they think they're doing?', 'why are they announcing that in yet another livery when the shelves are creaking with unsold ones?', don't they realise there are actually diesel and electric traction modellers out there?', 'don't they know Pre-Group steam outline models sell like hot cakes?', 'why are they reissuing it with the same number?', 'why bother to announce they were going to announce that?', 'is that all it is?', 'nothing in that lot for me', 'well that's some of my money they won't be getting this year', 'cor - what a great idea', 'wow, i Like that'

and so on and so forth.  But all the fun bits of this thread will be lost - perhaps we should ask for a preservation order to ensure that it doesn't vanish once the embargo is lifted and the news is conveyed to us lot.  ('embargo?'  I hear you say - yes there really is one if the closeness of my ears to the ground is working properly.)   Cor it's just like the olden days of Hornby yet again - do they really still think that all these commissioned models are just a passing fad that won't last and that the various newcomers to the market aren't actually competing with them for sales and attention?

• Like 2

Oh this has been an entertaining read! How there can be 19 pages is beggars belief. But a positive that Hornby can still cause so much interest! 

For those who said the Docklands Light Railway drawing was a Siemens product are technically wrong. It is not Siemens who call a motor bogie a TDG but it is the standard technical term used in Germany for a motor bogie. Thus, the B07 Bombardier DLR stock is actually the line drawing shown by 'Isle Twitter': 

1 728 01 00 00 0 00 0 DRW 04 000 1.pdf

It has made me giggle those who said Siemens this, Siemens that. Though I do share the comments about a class 374 Eurostar E320 (utterly gorgeous train with more than 17 likely to be ordered, though likely out of the price range for a 'toy' set, so it better have an etched metal working pantograph!!) or the class 185 TransPennine (limited spread having been used only on TP route since introduced). 

Anyway, I shall go back to being entertained by the over-thinking on what 29 surprises means.... Have a good Bank Holiday! 

I suddenly thought GWR manors. But nope that's 30, 7800 to 7829.

I had that thought too! There are 9 members of the class preserved and they are very popular, so that would surely help create some interest in the models. We can always hope someone at Hornby isn't very good at maths!

....... once the embargo is lifted and the news is conveyed to us lot.  ('embargo?'  I hear you say - yes there really is one if the closeness of my ears to the ground is working properly.)  ......

Well !  As one of Hornby's clues was to "keep your ears to the ground"   -  it would seem that Hornby will be producing a 3D model of our own Stationmaster !!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Well !  As one of Hornby's clues was to "keep your ears to the ground"   -  it would seem that Hornby will be producing a 3D model of our own Stationmaster !!!!!

I have never met the man. Is he narrow, standard or broad gauge?

• RMweb Gold

I have never met the man. Is he narrow, standard or broad gauge?

Nowadays definitely somewhat broad of gauge but I can just about remember being a lot narrower and even have pictures (somewhere) to prove it.  Ah here's one, used as my avatar as it happens, and if you click to enlarge it you can see that I easily fitted in the gap between the handrail on a 'Castle' cab and the handrail at the leading end of the tender, with room to spare.  And no need for the engine tender coupling to be adjusted to account for 2nd radius curves.

post-6859-0-43159200-1525539739_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nowadays definitely somewhat broad of gauge but I can just about remember being a lot narrower and even have pictures (somewhere) to prove it.  Ah here's one, used as my avatar as it happens, and if you click to enlarge it you can see that I easily fitted in the gap between the handrail on a 'Castle' cab and the handrail at the leading end of the tender, with room to spare.  And no need for the engine tender coupling to be adjusted to account for 2nd radius curves.

attachicon.gif7029 at Coates 160587.jpg

I did not know that Hornby had made a model of you. That smoke effect is very realistic. 

• Like 2