Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

I wouldn't be surprised, if within the next two years, we saw new tooling announcements on the Rebuilt Merchant Navy,Airsmooth West Country/ B of B,Stanier Black 5 and Stanier 8f.

These model are well overdue for a revamp as per the Stanier Pacific's.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

I wouldn't be surprised, if within the next two years, we saw new tooling announcements on the Rebuilt Merchant Navy,Airsmooth West Country/ B of B,Stanier Black 5 and Stanier 8f.

Have they not already done this with the 8F?  Although they missed a trick doing nothing about the front bogie

I agree with your sentiment though.

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

Have they not already done this with the 8F?  Although they missed a trick doing nothing about the front bogie

I agree with your sentiment though.

With regard to the 8f, the loco body moulding is unfortunately the same with the motor mechanism being visible along the boiler section.

The Midland tender is a nice touch and the finish is to the usual high standard.

Personally, I've still got a late BR version with the yellow cab stripe.

I'll be detailing and weathering this loco until a worthy update is announced by Hornby.

The current model dates from around 2001.

• RMweb Gold

I agree, but I also think that trumpeting next week's announcement in advance suggests something more than revamps of existing models, important regular sellers though those four are.

I'm inclined to think there will be one or more new OO products announced, but that the "main event" will be something more strategic, possibly diversification into another scale/gauge (my money would not be on it being N, if so) but more probably related to the business in its entirety.

We've already seen the announced demise of the Thomas range, which is a big deal in terms of how Hornby used to see themselves. I would suggest that this was unlikely to be the only significant change the "new broom" and his team have in mind and, having (sensibly) given themselves several months to think everything through, it would seem sensible to sort out the whole shooting match in one go..

My guess, and hope, is that we'll see a thorough restructuring of Hornby / Railroad / Oxford Rail and Corgi / Oxford Diecast to create more coherent and stable positioning in the overall UK model railway / collecting marketplace. Also, while Airfix seems to be going along nicely as it is, I wouldn't rule out Scalextric being sold off.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

I think all this froth is very silly. Then again, they do say 'if you can't beat them, join them'.

How about RTR battery powered 2.4GHz radio control?

INCOMING! :O

They might trial it for the Junior range, the Chinese sorted out cheap tiny receivers for those bug-sized r/c cars years ago. As they're not flavour of the month anymore, even in bargain shops, the suppliers of the electronics might be looking for new areas of application...  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

My tip for the top is this.....

Due to the 'unexpected demand' created by a pigeon landing on the tender of the locomotive, Hornby have created a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to re-live those halcyon days of steam!

For the unbelievable price of £4472, the lucky collector will receive:-

Flying Scotsman locomotive.

Flying Scotsman Mug.

Flying Scotsman knife, fork & spoon.

Flying Scotsman plate & eggcup.

Flying Scotsman watch

Flying Scotsman lighter.

Flying Scotsman Underpants.

Flying Scotsman quilt cover.

The first customers to take up this exclusive offer will receive a signed photograph of the pushbike used by Fred Squint, the timekeeper at Doncaster Works, who coined the phrase "My dad drove the Flying Scotsman".

Order today!

• Like 1

My tip for the top is this.....

Due to the 'unexpected demand' created by a pigeon landing on the tender of the locomotive, Hornby have created a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to re-live those halcyon days of steam!

For the unbelievable price of £4472, the lucky collector will receive:-

Flying Scotsman locomotive.

Flying Scotsman Mug.

Flying Scotsman knife, fork & spoon.

Flying Scotsman plate & eggcup.

Flying Scotsman watch

Flying Scotsman lighter.

Flying Scotsman Underpants.

Flying Scotsman quilt cover.

The first customers to take up this exclusive offer will receive a signed photograph of the pushbike used by Fred Squint, the timekeeper at Doncaster Works, who coined the phrase "My dad drove the Flying Scotsman".

Order today!

There's lots of Flying Scotsman mugs about, the take up will be beyond expectation.....  :jester:

H,C&O

• RMweb Premium

The "Plastic Bodied" 4-wheel Utility van.......... So obvious, why didn't I think of it sooner. :O

John

......and the 'Plastic Bodied' N.G. coach (as used on the Hayling Branch).....not quite so obvious and I would never have guessed that. 

P

• Like 1

We know that Hornby are terribly short of cash and have been unable to service their bank loan. I reckon they will announce that all new models will be crowdfunded. All they have to do is suggest a dozen locos and only kick off each one when there are enough backers. :)

Battery rc would be fantastic for 00. The technology is available and quite cheap. DCC doesn’t light my candle but driving a loco which does not rely on the track for power is somehow different and feels a lot better.

I expect the announcement will be more about future organisation and direction than anything else.

Last year marked the 30th anniversary of the opening of the Docklands Light Railway (1987).

To celebrate the 30th anniversary (late again Hornby???), Hornby in conjunction with the London Transport Museum, are releasing a 4mm scale 00 model of the DLR  B07 EMU stock, which was introduced and went into service 10 years ago in 2008.

Yeah. Something interesting and different. Good on them.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Last year marked the 30th anniversary of the opening of the Docklands Light Railway (1987).

To celebrate the 30th anniversary (late again Hornby???), Hornby in conjunction with the London Transport Museum, are releasing a 4mm scale 00 model of the DLR  B07 EMU stock, which was introduced and went into service 10 years ago in 2008.

What, and throw themselves open to accusations of skimming the cream from the top of the wishlists? :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I hope that after all this the big announcement on 8th May doesn't turn out to be that they are going to make a really important announcement some time in the summer.

• Like 1

Bluetooth train control?

Is Hornby the new partner that BlueRail Trains have teamed up with?

Now that WOULD be interesting. A control board that gives you all the advantages of DCC with an excellent easy to use customisation and eliminates DCC's main problem, the rail/wheel interface. The control App running on your smartphone or tablet will appeal to many younger modellers too. They have good models in the Railroad range. those diesels and electrics have vast space for the batteries. You can get hours of use out of a 4 x AAA NiMh rechargeable pack.

Nah!. Blue Rails team up would have to be a USA/japan outfit because of market size

• RMweb Premium

sixteen pages and there is still four days to go.....keep speculating this is a great read. :nono:

Oh , by the way the announcement is "The Return of Thomas".....

Edited by Clive Mortimore