Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

On 29/05/2020 at 18:58, classy52 said:

Basically Hattons have sent you someone else's reject

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

in my opinion it looked like something that had been sent back and re-issued to the customer in question

Ahhh, so now it's "in my opinion", as opposed to "Hattons have sent" - without wishing to be pedantic, however two totally different statements-of-intent.  On a positive note, I guess at least you've proved that you can express yourself clearly, when you try.   :)

I'll leave it there.

A

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2

For those who are interested, it looks as though 66097 as offered by Hattons is no longer current, as it now has a Highland stag logo on it, this has appeared in the last couple of weeks it would seem:

I am pondering a DB loco, thinking of either a Hattons 66 or one of the upcoming Hornby 60s.

This hasn't put me off as it would be quite cool to get a transfer and put it on, just making people aware.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

For those who are interested, it looks as though 66097 as offered by Hattons is no longer current, as it now has a Highland stag logo on it, this has appeared in the last couple of weeks it would seem:

I am pondering a DB loco, thinking of either a Hattons 66 or one of the upcoming Hornby 60s.

This hasn't put me off as it would be quite cool to get a transfer and put it on, just making people aware.

Putting a transfer on would involve doing some modelling.....

Just sayin'

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

Hi all, it's been a while since I checked in on this thread (over 35 new pages!) so apologies if I'm pointing out things that have already come up in the discussion.

I thought I'd share how I managed to improve the running of my two 66s. Both of them suffered from wobbly axleboxes (one not too bad and one much worse). I found the root cause of the problem to be some extra bits of moulded detail on the inner bogie frames that prevented them from sitting correctly in the main part of the bogie. The photo below shows where the tops of the moulded springs catch on the bogie frame.

spacer.png

By removing the top 1mm or so from the springs with a scalpel, I was able to get the inner frame to sit nicely in the main bogie frame. More info about how I did this can be found here.

/T

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

5 hours ago, wormoworm said:

By removing the top 1mm or so from the springs with a scalpel, I was able to get the inner frame to sit nicely in the main bogie frame.

That looks interesting!  I'll check later if any of mine may benefit  :)

Agree with this ten-thousand percent:

"Lack of a decent attachment between the wheel and the axlebox itself. Each axlebox is pushed onto a small spigot on the wheel and held on with glue, but a moving part like this should really be attached with a thread or something a bit more permanent."

Best
Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Is the shed in line for weathering to match the cements,789 that is,not the garden version...........

It has received a minor dusting already, although it will be done by someone much better than me shortly. that said I am mindful that 789 seems to be kept much cleaner than some others. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Complete with the characteristic 66 upswoosh of dirt on the lower cab side..... ( I saw it 10 days later and my [dodgy] pic has a larger dirt swoosh)

66789 Nacton 180120

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Got up to our clubroom last week to give 66621 a run in, now runs nicely and the wobble has gone. Now time to sort the lights.. 

Looks great on your layout with a rake in tow!  And yes, would be useful to follow up on the light situation - keen to have a go myself, although those circuit boards are certainly tiny and would be mighty useful if either yourself or others had a couple of photos to show what was going on with the mod etc... 

All the best...

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

unless your a driver like Jim i guess

I don't know, I know farmers who drive tractors all day and then watch YouTube of other people driving tractors and playing Farming Simulator on the computer!

Not the sort of tractor we tend to talk about on here.....

I am still in two minds as to what to do as far as a red loco is concerned. My DB 60007 has a bid on it now so it is going! Although I have a while until my JSAs arrive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Many railway staff do the job as that is their interest as well, not all, but quite a few.

Roy 

lots of secret cranks working on the railway!

its funny but I’ve bought bits off eBay recently and when I’ve paid PayPal it’s come up with a couple of my work colleagues names!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, big jim said:

lots of secret cranks working on the railway!

its funny but I’ve bought bits off eBay recently and when I’ve paid PayPal it’s come up with a couple of my work colleagues names!

Working on a couple of preserved lines, they don't get to keep it a secret - they either volunteer themselves or turn up at events!

Roy

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Working on a couple of preserved lines, they don't get to keep it a secret - they either volunteer themselves or turn up at events!

Roy

When I went on the last GWR HST from Paddington last year, I think we were the only ones not working on the railway, no wonder they ran a relief service for the normals.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

When I first started looking for work I vowed not to work on the railway in case that spoiled the hobby for me. That idea lasted six months then I had a very enjoyable 16year career with Northern Ireland Railways.

Many of my colleagues had railways as a hobby including those deeply involved with models, trains in general and the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.

Enjoying one's job is very important.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, daz9284 said:

I model railways, I'm interested in the railways, and I'm a driver for DB. My wife has recently started work for Network Rail. My dad also used to build trains at BREL then ABB in York. :-D

It’s slightly odd the way it was frowned on in BR days so I’ve heard.....if you haven’t got an interest in what you work with everyday it’s not very motivating I’d say