Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Lol I was being sarcastic but would have to think about that for at least 5mins :unsure:

I couldn’t add the joking emoji but I’m glad you can see the humour, there seems to be a distinct lack of it over the last few pages 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, big jim said:

I couldn’t add the joking emoji but I’m glad you can see the humour, there seems to be a distinct lack of it over the last few pages 

No worries, at the end of the day if Accurascale wasn't sucking me dry lately I would probably purchase about 4 sound fitted Hatton's 66's all in special partnership liveries but in the new year will just have to settle for 1 sound fitted 66 and then steadily build up my portfolio throughout 2020 because no matter what is said by reviewers or those on here it will be a great model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Just checking to see if these are showing up in stock yet, couldn't believe they are doing 111 different variations of these, talk about flooding the market if they all arrive on time 

Their stock comes in in January I believe only the airfreighted non DCC models due around now.

37 liveries but 3 DC/DCC versions of each but when you think how many of each version have been made (say 500 miminum per , that's 55,500 individual models).

I can quite see why they would want them sent directly from factory to customer as that would take up a fair amount of room in their warehouse. 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, classy52 said:

I would probably purchase about 4 sound fitted Hatton's 66's all in special partnership liveries but in the new year will just have to settle for 1 sound fitted 66 and then steadily build up my portfolio during 2020

whereas I’m waiting to see the final model, see ‘real world’ reviews then just buy one, got to hope my gamble of not preordering what I recon will be one of the best selling models (66789) will work and there won’t be just one production run that will sell out before I can get hold of one!

ill then hopefully get hold of some of the Bachmann 66s I’ve been after at a knock down price on eBay, I’ve noticed the prices are starting to drop nicely already to sensible prices 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, big jim said:

whereas I’m waiting to see the final model, see ‘real world’ reviews then just buy one, got to hope my gamble of not preordering what I recon will be one of the best selling models (66789) will work and there won’t be just one production run that will sell out before I can get hold of one!

ill then hopefully get hold of some of the Bachmann 66s I’ve been after at a knock down price on eBay, I’ve noticed the prices are starting to drop nicely already to sensible prices 

Yeah 789 is on top of my list to get first but I have to wait until Feb so hopefully this one doesn't get sold out.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, truffy said:

I have indeed. It is marginally less expensive than sending parcels abroad, and I've only broken one knee! :dancing:

Let's be honest though, everything is expensive in Switzerland, it is just degrees of how expensive. Only glad that my not infrequent trips to Zurich are paid for by my customer.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, truffy said:

I am quite offended that there so much obfuscation with regards to reviewers' affiliation with Hattons. I have cancelled my order. I may reinstate it in the light of further information, but there was another item in that order that will now go to Rails.

I think that’s unfortunate, don’t forget neither had production models, AND there was another reviewer, who is not only impartial, but a well respected modeller on here.

• Agree 1

Woah, such much!

13 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

If Hattons themselves produced a You Tube video that demonstrated their Class 66 model how would you all feel about that?

As noted by @newbryford, they already have. But it's clearly a Hattons review of a Hattons product, so the impetus/relationship is clear.

13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

How can the Youtubers affiliation clarity be Hattons fault? Hattons are just putting models out there for maximum exposure it’s normal marketing, there’s nothing unusual about that!

While Hattons might choose certain Youtubers based on certain criteria, it behooves them to ensure that relationships are transparent, if only for their own reputation. Perhaps that should be part of the participation agreement?

12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Hattons are just putting stuff out there it’s up to the Youtubers to declare any links if they are gaining financially, that includes getting exclusive access as it gets them revenue ultimately. 

While I agree that it's up to Youtubers (or anyone else) to transparently declare an interest, it's also in Hattons' best interest to ensure this. Unless ethics is a non-issue, in which case fair do's to them.

11 hours ago, big jim said:

did you order the model purely after viewing the content of one of the vidoes you watched or did you order it before you saw any videos having only seen pictures of the preproduction models? 

FWIW, I ordered a DC-ready version early enough to <cough>be delivered by Christmas</cough>. But it's a rule#1 for me.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think that’s unfortunate, don’t forget neither had production models, AND there was another reviewer, who is not only impartial, but a well respected modeller on here.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here. There are 3 reviews of preproduction models that I saw on YouTube (if you neglect New Junction, which was a waste of time): Sam's Trains, Everard Junction, and Jenny Kirk. I didn't see anything obvious from the latter two that suggested an affiliation.

In fact EJ went so far as to state "I take a look at a pre-production sample of the forthcoming class 66 from Hattons...For those of you who think EJ has sold out don't panic! No money has changed hands and the sample is being sent back to Hattons." Furthermore, "this is not a review, we're not going to be giving it a score out of ten, and we’re not going to be drooling over the packaging".

Admittedly, I haven'y gone through Jenny Kirk's review thoroughly, but there was nothing obvious to me.

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Can we please give the review discussions a miss now? It is just going round in circles and not actually contributing any news regarding the model itself. 

Indeed, tedious isn't the word...  Perhaps there should be a "Review of the review" topic instead...?!  :unsure:

Just for the record, I haven't watched any of the online reviews.  Instead I'll simply make up my own mind.  Easy really.

Edited by YesTor
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Can we please give the review discussions a miss now? It is just going round in circles and not actually contributing any news regarding the model itself. 

Roy

I posted similar a couple of days ago, it is amazing how much mileage some people can get out of trivia, but each to their own. The model will be here soon and there will be as many opinions, moans, groans, superlatives and exaltations as variants planned. I cannot contain my excitement.

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Pegleg90 said:

Is there a more definitive arrival date yet? Parents are asking if they’ll need to wrap it up for Christmas :D

I guess Hattons will send them out when they are satisfied that they are ready.

They have been delayed by a few months for reasons of fussiness. If they had been happy to sell them with known faults, we would had had them several months ago...& been complaining.

I am sure they are not holding them back just to annoy everyone. They've not taken any money yet & I can't imagine any business not wanting to be paid.

• Agree 5

11 hours ago, YesTor said:

Doesn't that have something to do with Switzerland not being in the EU? 

No. Railway proof. The poor sod sent out from Swindon to look at the construction progress of the Brown-Boveri gas turbine loco in Der Schweiz had to send pleading letters back to base for more cash so he could afford to eat. That's almost a decade before the Treaty of Rome which brought the EEC into existence.

I still remember the delight of explaining to our department accountant of how I had managed to spend roughly £10 acquiring a toothbrush in circa 1980, having left mine in a hotel bathroom in Italy. That's what a Zurich hotel wanted for it, and I needed to clean my teeth that evening...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

11 hours ago, YesTor said:

Indeed, tedious isn't the word...  Perhaps there should be a "Review of the review" topic instead...?!  :unsure:

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

I posted similar a couple of days ago, it is amazing how much mileage some people can get out of trivia, but each to their own. The model will be here soon and there will be as many opinions, moans, groans, superlatives and exaltations as variants planned. I cannot contain my excitement.

At least it was a diversion from the same-old-same-old 'when will it arrive?', 'what? Not in time from Christmas? waaaah!' posts. None of those contribute any news regarding the model itself.

Any thread that is sufficiently long will wander off topic, it's a given. What also seems to be a given is that one or more self-appointed thread policemen will come along to complain that what's being discussed is of no interest to them and that it shall cease and desist.

Do you know what I do when someone posts something that's not of interest? I gloss over it; move on.

The Genesis Project thread is a case in point. A few grains of wheat, but buried among a hell of a lot of chaff. So what?

And the model/modelling threads that get diverted by posts that are either TL;DR or waffling on about traffic routing. It's not of interest to me, but it is to those involved. Don't like it? Don't read it. Simples, innit?

Sheesh.

Luv'n'hugz, Nigey-poos.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

No. Railway proof. The poor sod sent out from Swindon to look at the construction progress of the Brown-Boveri gas turbine loco in Der Schweiz had to send pleading letters back to base for more cash so he could afford to eat. That's almost a decade before the Treaty of Rome which brought the EEC into existence.

I still remember the delight of explaining to our department accountant of how I had managed to spend roughly £10 acquiring a toothbrush in circa 1980, having left mine in a hotel bathroom in Italy. That's what a Zurich hotel wanted for it, and I needed to clean my teeth that evening...

Thats nothing, I had to explain a 10p discrepency today on expense reports from Israel and Turkey... i read neither language.

sorry for the divert, but in absence of a convoy of 1Z00 from Widnes to South London.. i’m kicking about a cold rainy platform, awaiting a stack of boxes containing sheds of red death to arrive.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, truffy said:

At least it was a diversion from the same-old-same-old 'when will it arrive?', 'what? Not in time from Christmas? waaaah!' posts. None of those contribute any news regarding the model itself.

Inserting needles into my eyes would also be a diversion, and judging by some of the earlier posts perhaps a good deal more fun, but hey, each to his own...

The whole thing just read out a lil' crazy, people arguing the toss over what is legal, what isn't legal, what potentially might or might not be legal, what might be perceived as legal, who gets paid this and who gets paid that, have they declared that they have been paid; others cancelling orders because they feel something hasn't been declared in the way they happen to feel it might have been declared slightly better.  Good grief! 

The bottom line surely is that the reviews are there for those who wish to view them.  Any review, of anything, whether claiming to be sponsored, impartial or otherwise should surely be analyzed with some degree of common sense/open-mindedness by default.  Personally I just couldn't see quite why everyone seemed to be hurling toys from prams faster than a rat on rollerskates.  

No malice intended, just a personal perception.

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I had to explain a 10p discrepency today on expense reports from Israel and Turkey... 

I once had to explain a €1 addition to a hotel bill, that the hotel added (without consulting me) ‘for charridy’. My employer only sanctioned donations to its own recognised charities. :rolleyes:

Edited by truffy
Pesky apostrophe
  • Like 1