Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

Looking at that photo, it seems the articulation is only at every second coach join, i.e. each pair of coaches has three bogies of its own. Coach A shares a bogie with B, then C shares a bogie with D etc.

I think that was always the plan. Without looking it back up, I believe only the non-articulated bogies are powered so by arranging the 745 coaches as articulated pairs gives it more traction motors putting down power for acceleration.

• RMweb Gold

There's a path for a light engine 0Z97, 11:31, Norwich - Dollands Moor (17:49) tomorrow afternoon ...

Temperature's Rising, Barometers getting low, according to my senses, Diss is the place to go* ...

* when the return path is in.

• Like 1

There's a path for a light engine 0Z97, 11:31, Norwich - Dollands Moor (17:49) tomorrow afternoon ...

Temperature's Rising, Barometers getting low, according to my senses, Diss is the place to go* ...

Any idea roughly when the return is? Might be a nice diversion on my way to work...

Seeing as the first 755 was due this Sunday gone, you might get more excited! Yet, three ice cubes to consider. One being ROG are contracted for all trials/testing runs on the FLIRT UK - is there a ROG loco in Norwich? Two is Crown Point is in no state to receive the FLIRT UK yet. Three, most important one, three 755s are reportedly going to be based at Coldham's Lane for testing. So this move could be a position move, of a ROG locomotive or a DRS locomotive on hire to ROG as the FLIRT UK is a little delayed. 

• RMweb Gold

Cancelled

Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning ? - you choose

The first unit is at Dollands Moor, it should go to Ripple Lane later and then move to Norwich early tomorrow.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H38057/2018/11/15/advanced

Damn, not going to see that before having to be in work :(

400 tons sounds like a lot of trailing load...

• RMweb Gold

Beginning of the End or the End of the Beginning ? - you choose

The first unit is at Dollands Moor, it should go to Ripple Lane later and then move to Norwich early tomorrow.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H38057/2018/11/15/advanced

Beginning of the end I would definitely say!

As we do a lot of work moving Anglia stock this is something I am not looking forward to

Depends where you are. I can think of one fairly rural but well used station which has had a new platform on one side. Not much of a step down from the train. The other side is maybe 18 inches or more.

Interesting, where's that then?

Edited by BernardTPM

When it comes to atrocious historical rides I will just put out these three numbers:

3 - 0 - 4

A spectacularly whiplash inducing combination of bungee-style springing, seemingly threepenny bit shaped wheels and bumper-car sideways hunting that BR bizarrely thought acceptable for use on semi-fast services between the Midlands and the North-West for many years.

Even Nodding Donkeys were better than these vile crates.

Oi - these were my staple units when I were a lad, it was great fun on the springy seats to Crewe.

• RMweb Gold

And they're here.

Gissing
15 November 2018
66002 and 755405 on 5P99, 03:43, Ripple Lane Exch Sdgs - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (08:23) - First Bi-Mode Stadler unit.

Good to see that the first one has arrived over here.

Is there any wibble yet that you're aware of about where these units will be tested?

And they're here.

Gissing
15 November 2018
66002 and 755405 on 5P99, 03:43, Ripple Lane Exch Sdgs - Norwich C.PT. T.&R.S.M.D (08:23) - First Bi-Mode Stadler unit.

attachicon.gifDAS798411.JPG

attachicon.gifDAS798414.JPG

attachicon.gifDAS798418.JPG

attachicon.gifDAS798423.JPG

Looking at the pictures, has someone done something very sensible with the couplers? the exposed coupling at the rear looks to be some sort of auto coupler, but I cant see anything special on the 66 at the front, and there's no translator vehicles between the 2. Is there an adaptor that isn't visible in the pictures?

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that the first one has arrived over here.

Is there any wibble yet that you're aware of about where these units will be tested?

There's various paths between Norwich and Colchester which appeared a few weeks back - I'm guessing these are for testing.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures, has someone done something very sensible with the couplers? the exposed coupling at the rear looks to be some sort of auto coupler, but I cant see anything special on the 66 at the front, and there's no translator vehicles between the 2. Is there an adaptor that isn't visible in the pictures?

Didn't notice to be honest, too busy trying not to fluff the shot ! - possibly an adapter of some form ?

• RMweb Premium

see 1 min 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBn4cIcrozw

• Like 2

Presumably 66002 was used as it needs a screwlink coupler for the adapter, difficult to tell without a close up photo. I recall other types of adapter can't be used on the buckeye fitted 66s, unless specifically designed as such. 66001 is the other DB 66 without a buckeye

Jo