Model Rail announce GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT via Rapido

sem34090

If correct, then this is fantastic news for me!  Been asking for someone to make a RTR version for ages now so my prayers have finally been answered!  Will be getting a couple at least and 1648 was a Whitland engine so perfect for the 'Cardi Bach'!  Will be keeping a close eye on this thread in future!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would make this announcement easier to find, as a lot of people seem to have not worked it out yet.

1657.jpg

It transpired today that Model Rail, in cooperation with Rapido Trains, is to be producing the GWR Class 1600 0-6-0PT, which will be available in the following versions:

1648 BR Black early

1627 BR Black early (weathered)

1646 BR Black early

1624 BR Black late

1636 BR Black late (weathered)

1638 GWR Green (as preserved)

I will post more details when I can!

EDIT: Added versions.

It would be nice to see someone backdate 1638 to its early preserved condition, with "Dart Valley" on the tanks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/8599925407/

Edit - typo corrected. Thanks, Sir Eustace.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

Apart from the fact they are both pannier tanks, almost everything. (CJL)

Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, AIUI they were close cousins, details like the motion and so on were common, in part at least. They were much more like the 64s than the 64s were like the 57s for instance. The development was that a couple of pre group 2021s were modified with larger wheels etc and became prototypes for the 54s and 64s. A major difference was that 54/64/74 had a boiler with a drum head smokebox and a 6 inch longer firebox. Then the 16s were designed to replace the 2021s and the last of the 850/1901s, which were the only surviving pre Churchward tank engines. The 16s boiler still had a drum head smokebox, but basically the same firebox size as the 2021s, so six inches shorter again. As stated above the 16s were also smaller all round to fit just about anywhere. Edited by JimC
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, one'll have to end up modelled as 1628, one of life's mysteries, saw that one at Old Oak Common in early 1964, and have no idea how it got there ????

It's no doubt shown in The Pannier Papers, but I was looking at a photo of that engine earlier today when it was up in North Wales.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, one'll have to end up modelled as 1628, one of life's mysteries, saw that one at Old Oak Common in early 1964, and have no idea how it got there ????

Yes - always a Welsh based engine although it did move from its original home in the south west of the country to the north, then to the middle and then back north again ending its working life at Croes Newydd.  Where I wonder did I see it because it is definitely underlined in my combined volume although I suspect it was either at Whitland or Llanelly and not in the London area.

The Captain's interest is thus clearly explained I think because it's an obvious candidate for a certain sidings location

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So what is the difference between this and the 64xx?

Apart from the fact they are both pannier tanks, almost everything. (CJL)

Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, AIUI they were close cousins, details like the motion and so on were common, in part at least. They were much more like the 64s than the 64s were like the 57s for instance. The development was that a couple of pre group 2021s were modified with larger wheels etc and became prototypes for the 54s and 64s. A major difference was that 54/64/74 had a boiler with a drum head smokebox and a 6 inch longer firebox. Then the 16s were designed to replace the 2021s and the last of the 850/1901s, which were the only surviving pre Churchward tank engines. The 16s boiler still had a drum head smokebox, but basically the same firebox size as the 2021s, so six inches shorter again. As stated above the 16s were also smaller all round to fit just about anywhere.

Has anybody also noticed that they also have 6 wheels as a common feature......?

:jester:

Coat on and hat ready....

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That is one ugly **...... letter before N and letter after E

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the already available pannier sound files work for the 16xx as I plan to put a sound decoder into the one I plan to pre-order.

Surely all tw cylinder G*R locos sound the same............?

And the four cylinder locos are the same but twice as fast on the chuff front?

Cheers,

Mick

(well into flippant Friday mood)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Captain's interest is thus clearly explained I think because it's an obvious candidate for a certain sidings location

Well, although one, or more probably two, of these new items will be sought, there is still the question of the whitemetal kit and the new Branchlines etched chassis waiting to be built. And yes, it is definitely one for the new sidings location.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would one of these be appropriate for a riverside wharf layout?

Given that these were seen over virtually the whole of the Western Region (and then parts of the LM region and the Dornoch branch in Scotland), I'd have said that they would be entirely suitable.

• RMweb Gold

Granted, but can I ask that there is enough room between the splashers for EM/P4 wheels please?

I'd have thought that this would be possible, given that they will have to accommodate OO wheel sets.

Many other RTR locos can take P4 wheelsets, such as the Bachmann 64XX.

Edited by Captain Kernow