• RMweb Gold

I think it’s obvious that I’ve been putting off weathering the building, I’ve been worried about doing it if I’m totally honest but it ain’t going to do itself so I’ve been at it since about 11am

34717016-7BCD-41DB-A675-D89C45523486.jpeg.035fd589304965db1f54f0460eb854d1.jpeg

I only have a handful of weathering powders so I’ve tried varying the shades by mixing them together in random ratios

Anyway I have developed a new technique called ‘Chuck in on and hope for the best method’

381EF577-D0EA-4D1D-A114-E1B79A8CDD34.jpeg.4e3366a5f9b05d4917e0f19e057fb29a.jpeg

4C45FA18-8BE7-4B93-8854-186287FF4637.jpeg.281dcf8df9ef03e15da10eb71881f8b5.jpeg

DDA48D95-A82A-4130-A02D-0EC3A5216E8D.jpeg.2f013956f54d95c8ec7327dbb72774ec.jpeg

573CC233-C420-41FE-982E-1EDEC080266C.jpeg.54b01366ecdb713ae9a5c46787083487.jpeg

I know it’s nowhere near as good as@NHY 581’s weathering but it’s the best I can do....at least it looks less plasticy now

I'm glad I chose to weather it before painting the inside though because these powders go everywhere, especially with my patented slapdash approach :blush:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm glad I chose to weather it before painting the inside though because these powders go everywhere, especially with my patented slapdash approach 

What you meant to say there was  "I chose to weather the inside at the same time as the outside". It looks nice and grotty, no need to touch it!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2021 at 01:14, chuffinghell said:

I fully appreciate what @lezz01 says about the windows although being left clear allows you to see the roof trusses etc

55A241BA-949D-4B95-88E3-B8D95E2AF126.jpeg.30458ec843a5f1e32d964c41bf2bf915.jpeg

I’m not going to glue the roof in place (I’m going to use magnets) so it will be removable but I’m still not sure about dirtying up the glazing especially after putting so much effort into making the roof trusses

I'm sure I read on the internet somewhere, despite Pilkington Self Cleaning glass only being released to the mass market in 2001, it was undergoing secret trials in a sleepy place called Warren in the 1930s.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it needs a bit more rust in the middle Chris. The really dark stuff more purple than orange. Think where water would lay if it was raining and put the dark rust there.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

Will you please stop posting photos of real buildings. This is supposed to be a modelling thread not somewhere to post shots of real life buildings.

Very good Chris but I'm afraid you can't claim the chuck it on and hope for the best as that's my method. Will let you have a franchise though just so long as you keep posting your superb models.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2021 at 16:21, 57xx said:

What you meant to say there was  "I chose to weather the inside at the same time as the outside". It looks nice and grotty, no need to touch it!

Unfortunately the contractors have already started on the interior with an off-white although they’ll have to give it a second coat :wacko:

48B3471E-F2AC-42EA-9350-4EA3816EBC7B.jpeg.9a9ee632ddc0f35f078d429d710ce053.jpeg

B6A121CE-BCCB-49B1-8388-11FC2580C6F2.jpeg.aead86a5b7d44139334d008ae9cf2d60.jpeg

But don’t worry it will get some ‘grott’

On 05/04/2021 at 17:35, Alister_G said:

Spot on mate, cracking job.

Al.

Thanks Al, means a lot coming from yourself 

On 05/04/2021 at 17:50, lezz01 said:

I think it needs a bit more rust in the middle Chris. The really dark stuff more purple than orange. Think where water would lay if it was raining and put the dark rust there.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, I’ll see what I can do

On 05/04/2021 at 17:52, Winslow Boy said:

Will you please stop posting photos of real buildings. This is supposed to be a modelling thread not somewhere to post shots of real life buildings.

Thank you

On 05/04/2021 at 17:52, Winslow Boy said:

Very good Chris but I'm afraid you can't claim the chuck it on and hope for the best as that's my method. Will let you have a franchise though just so long as you keep posting your superb models.

I didn’t realise it was already copyrighted, thanks for the franchise rights though :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2021 at 08:33, Graham T said:

Perhaps have a couple of chaps on the roof replacing the glass, or repainting the frame, something like that?

Or some fresh glass being delivered in a crate on the back of a lorry, whihc just needs to be unloaded... I'm sure @KNP can advise...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 03/04/2021 at 13:46, chuffinghell said:

I expected so, I’ll see what I can do with a little white weathering powder

I've cut the ‘glazing’ but it’s not glued in yet, I know in reality the glass wouldn’t be clean but if it were dirty you wouldn’t be able to see in with the roof in place so it’s a compromise

There's always the option of making a thing of the clean glass. Make one or two panels on the side dirty, leave the rest clean, then add ladders, a window cleaner, knocked over bucket, etc... 

J

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Fresh glass would call for a Coral, methinks.

There was an unmade D&S? kit on eBay recently, I can't remember what the final figure was, but I think that you could have got a straight swap for your car...:jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Julia said:

There's always the option of making a thing of the clean glass. Make one or two panels on the side dirty, leave the rest clean, then add ladders, a window cleaner, knocked over bucket, etc... 

J

Good point, 

I suddenly thought that the open remnants of a glass crate against the wall with a couple of cracked and dirty bits of old wire reinforced glass.

Just a hint of recent activity.

Or nothing and if anyone asks about the clean glass, they have had a slack week in the goods yard!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There was an unmade D&S? kit on eBay recently, I can't remember what the final figure was, but I think that you could have got a straight swap for your car...:jester:

I couldn't find any unmade kits, just one that had been made up, only went for £15.99 +p&p. Sounds like it was a bargain!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It was in a job lot with a couple of Kirk and coopercraft kits. The seller had just listed it as GWR wagon kits. I had hoped that nobody else would notice, but you know how that usually works out.

I'm not looking for any more myself and the only thing that I am after I will have to part scratch build because the kits are now daft money.

• RMweb Gold

I remember a D&S MR Ballast Brake gong over £30 not so long ago and a MR 6 wheel goods brake going for close to £40. There's a couple of London Road kits up at the moment and I would love both of them. Trouble is things like that go for really silly money and both kits are currently available so why anyone would get into a bidding war for them is beyond me.

The big problem is that until exhibitions start up again there are NO bring and buy stalls to get a bargain from.

Regards Lez.   

I used to have an AA16 outside framed TOAD,. I paid about £20 for it.

I've seen them fetch nearly £85. More recently £53. It's still a lot for an old white metal wagon kit. 

I couldn't justify spending that, plus there may be awkward questions to answer if I did!

• RMweb Gold

Yep dat's da bunny. Life would be so much easier without the asker of awkward questions.....but then I would have been bankrupt years ago....two edged sword....

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yep dat's da bunny. Life would be so much easier without the asker of awkward questions.....but then I would have been bankrupt years ago....two edged sword....

Regards Lez. 

But life would also have been very dull. 

It doesn't matter how many trains you could afford, they're no substitute...

Mine has her own sword. 

Several in fact.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ha never mind the sword, mine is an ex-gymnast. She don't look like much but she's as strong as an ox and can, even at the age of 58, still do all sorts of gravity defying stuff I could only dream of even at my fittest when I was a serving soldier.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Ha never mind the sword, mine is an ex-gymnast. She don't look like much but she's as strong as an ox and can, even at the age of 58, still do all sorts of gravity defying stuff I could only dream of even at my fittest when I was a serving soldier.

Regards Lez.

They are sometimes disturbingly strong for their size and the quirks make them all the more interesting.

My other half learned to limbo as a child, (something that she claims is the least useful talent ever.) Like yourself, I could never do such things even at my fittest. 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that. The answer is I don't know, my vision got kinda fuzzy. 

It does make a change for blokes to be not moaning about their significant other.

They put up with a lot. The mess, the smell of paint, the tiny fragments of plastic etc stuck in carpets, the money we spend, having to admit to the unenlightened that they share a home and a bed - with a model railway enthusiast! :blink:

It's something that they tolerate us, quite another that they take an interest. When I am busy making something, she is usually practising her music or studying. When we're out together, she is just as bad for spotting obscure relics and interesting scenes either for my paintings or railway interests. 

It's something to do with enjoying being alive and active apparently and nothing to do with a rust obsession, which I am told that only I suffer from...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that. The answer is I don't know, my vision got kinda fuzzy. 

It does make a change for blokes to be not moaning about their significant other.

They put up with a lot. The mess, the smell of paint, the tiny fragments of plastic etc stuck in carpets, the money we spend, having to admit to the unenlightened that they share a home and a bed - with a model railway enthusiast! :blink:

It's something that they tolerate us, quite another that they take an interest. When I am busy making something, she is usually practising her music or studying. When we're out together, she is just as bad for spotting obscure relics and interesting scenes either for my paintings or railway interests. 

It's something to do with enjoying being alive and active apparently and nothing to do with a rust obsession, which I am told that only I suffer from...

Not that she's thinking about f all that money she'll get from selling off all the 'junk' once you've popped your clogs. Of course not.