Re: locos entering goods sheds. My understanding is that this was prohibited by most railways, which is great for us modellers as it adds to the complexities of shunting. To access the shed and what lies beyond it, engine drivers will have to use "reach" wagons. 

There was however one exception: Wells Next The Sea on the old Great Eastern Railway (not the one on the miniature Wells & Walsingham). Here, locos could only be stabled in the loco shed by going through the goods shed. There may well have been other examples, but certainly not on the Great Western!

David C

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

On the whole I’m happy with it but this corner is bugging me

E004CF23-2E78-4C1E-AEEF-BC33D8E2A19E.jpeg.e734c23c345d5f768944d85bdef43adf.jpeg

It just doesn’t look right to me....or am I just being over critical and trying to pick fault?

I'd say it looks fine - and yes, you're being overly self-critical, if you don't mind me saying!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I can't get over how neat and crisp your paintwork is. Those black strap hangers haven't the slightest waver.

I would love to say it’s down to skill, a steady hand or a shed load of masking tape but the truth is it’s down to them being separate parts painted before assembly :blush:

The same can’t be said for the door knob*

07E4EB7B-AF5D-42BA-90C5-46B7BC36813C.jpeg.126d5da05658832a856b6a14a9891701.jpeg

Then again if you consider the wire used for the door pull is 0.35mm diameter I’ve not done too badly

*I never was good a painting within the lines....that’s why I try to avoid brush painting as much as possible in favour of masking tape and an airbrush :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Chris. 

Top modelling. I really like how this goods shed is coming together.  It really doea look the part and you're doing a smashing job of the weathering. Lots of character going in here and I see that it will be a real focal point. 

I have to say that you're providing much in the way of inspiration for me to get things back on the boil again. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Chris. 

Top modelling. I really like how this goods shed is coming together.  It really doea look the part and you're doing a smashing job of the weathering. Lots of character going in here and I see that it will be a real focal point. 

I have to say that you're providing much in the way of inspiration for me to get things back on the boil again. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

Thank you Rob, very nice of you to say.

When I first posting on here I never thought I would be providing inspiration to anyone especially to someone who has and continues to inspire me to keep going

so thanks to you

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 5

16 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

On the whole I’m happy with it but this corner is bugging me

E004CF23-2E78-4C1E-AEEF-BC33D8E2A19E.jpeg.e734c23c345d5f768944d85bdef43adf.jpeg

It just doesn’t look right to me....or am I just being over critical and trying to pick fault?

NOOOO Its lovely.:good:

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Believe it or not this vent has been painted three times

1st in off white, it just looked plain awful

2nd in dark stone to match the bargeboards but it just didn’t look right against the brick work

3rd and lastly, black....well it goes with everything 

0242219B-A4C9-4886-8830-E5DBB641BE83.jpeg.fda174cc71b8fdfe485e90d2d61d150e.jpeg

And lightly weathered with a little white powder (weathering powder that is and not an illegal narcotic!)

Its a 3D printed part because they were missing from the Ratio part built/spares or repair engine shed kit I bought of eBay

• Like 12

Be careful. That's what got me on the slippery slope to scratch building and buying kits for bits that I couldn't make / couldn't be arsed to make.

I didn't like the stone texture (or lack of ) on the otherwise excellent Ratio GWR style goods shed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Be careful. That's what got me on the slippery slope to scratch building and buying kits for bits that I couldn't make / couldn't be arsed to make.

I didn't like the stone texture (or lack of ) on the otherwise excellent Ratio GWR style goods shed.

I do have the Ratio Goods shed kit, the only reason I’m not using it is because of its size

I’ve also got the Ratio GWR station building too

I need to have a sort out and get some stuff on that popular auction site

The part build engine shed I bought was only a fiver, it costs that much for just the windows so it was worth it for other bits and bobs

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Chris, if you brush over the back of the windows with MEK, sparingly, it will remove all the little burrs and floaty bits left from your cleaning up.

Al.

top tip Al thank you. Unfortunately I don’t have any MEK the closest I’ve got is acetone

Would a liquid solvent cement do the trick?

I use deluxe materials plastic magic

21EDBCE6-3C1D-42B7-A010-22D52BED22BD.jpeg.054fb6ac24035f8d95aa2e192dabc5c7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1