Shawplan

• RMweb Premium

A frequently asked question, Brian at Shawplan is a one man band and many have found that a phone call (not weekends as he is usually at shows I believe) will illicit a better result than emails.

A frequently asked question, Brian at Shawplan is a one man band and many have found that a phone call (not weekends as he is usually at shows I believe) will illicit a better result than emails.

I thought he had given it up and passed it on but anyway that was going to be my next option - thanks

• RMweb Premium

Personally I tried many phone calls and emails and never heard back so gave up. The advice seems to be:

- “I emailed”

- “Oh he never replies to emails, too busy, phone him”

- “I phoned him”

- “Oh he never picks up the phone, too busy, send a cheque in an SAE”

- “I sent him a cheque”

- “Oh he’s too busy for that, you have catch him at an exhibition”

Great products, best unobtainable much of the time. I just don’t bother now.

As has been said, he is a one man band so you can only imagine what that involves.

to be fair though Graham Shaw who ha the business prior was pretty much a one man band with regard to running the business.

I suggest patience, as I did when I sought some plates for D215.  I was in no rush so it didn't matter to me.  

Personally I tried many phone calls and emails and never heard back so gave up. The advice seems to be:

- “I emailed”

- “I phoned him”

- “I sent him a cheque”

I presume that he gets enough out of his exhibition sales not to bother about anything else.  I got most of the bits I needed at the Derby exhibition, but for those who cannot do this and don't want to send off a cheque in to the unknown with someone who has such poor contactability, then to all intents and purposes they are unobtainable.

• RMweb Gold

As has been said, he is a one man band so you can only imagine what that involves.

to be fair though Graham Shaw who ha the business prior was pretty much a one man band with regard to running the business.

I suggest patience, as I did when I sought some plates for D215.  I was in no rush so it didn't matter to me.  

To compare the Graham Shaw days with the current company is totally irrelevant, the business nowadays is considerably bigger with a much expanded portfolio.

Ultrascale, Shawplan, C & L et al, all need an understanding of the joys of singlehandedly running a successful model railway business for a few whinging ungrateful customers, the vast majority of whom are happy to go with the flow.

Mike.

• Like 1

To compare the Graham Shaw days with the current company is totally irrelevant, the business nowadays is considerably bigger with a much expanded portfolio.

Ultrascale, Shawplan, C & L et al, all need an understanding of the joys of singlehandedly running a successful model railway business for a few whinging ungrateful customers, the vast majority of whom are happy to go with the flow.

Mike.

You only need to look at what has happened to Falcon Brasworks to see how this can demotivate small suppliers.

On the other hand potential customers need to be shown the common coutersy of responses to communications where they have attempted to contact a supplier.

It cuts both ways.

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

I presume that he gets enough out of his exhibition sales not to bother about anything else.  I got most of the bits I needed at the Derby exhibition, but for those who cannot do this and don't want to send off a cheque in to the unknown with someone who has such poor contactability, then to all intents and purposes they are unobtainable.

Yep, quite probably. I have no real issue with that, I just don't try now, it was frustrating. There's a difference between patience (someone saying "yes, it'll take a month") and just not getting anywhere. I've not got a cheque book, so that's a tough avenue to proceed down!

I know his exhibitions and work for manufacturers clearly keeps him more than busy enough, so best of luck to him.

• RMweb Gold

You only need to look at what has happened to Falcon Brasworks to see how this can demotivate small suppliers.

On the other hand potential customers need to be shown the common coutersy of responses to communications where they have attempted to contact a supplier.

It cuts both ways.

Tim T

If only life were that simple!

1. The sole trader supplier sits at his computer and fastidiously replies to every communivation.

2. The sole trader supplier sits at the phone and answers every call.

3. The person phoning/emailing thinks they have got the suppliers undivided attention and proceeds to waffle on about nothing in particular, assuming that because thay have nothing better to do then neither does the supplier.

4. Because the sole trader supplier is permanently engaged on the phone/computer they are not getting any development work/packing/exhibition preparation/having a family life etc etc done.

5. Modellers come onto forums and complain that goods from said sole trader supplier are unavailable.

They can't win really.

In the perfect world we obviously don't live in;

1. Modellers realise the situation by reading messages on forums/talking with other modellers/talking to suppliers at exhibitions and taking the information on board.

2. Modellers realise packets of instant gratification are in short supply and live with it.

3. Everybody gets along without any friction.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

- “I emailed”

- “I phoned him”

- “I sent him a cheque”

Phoned as recommended and it rang and rang although a Monday no show from weekend. Checked Modelmaster website and spoke to a very nice gentlemen who had the plates i wanted - problem solved.

• RMweb Premium

Fox did it for me, didn't even try Shawplan on subsequent orders. I realise he has some items not made by other manufacturers though, so not always an option.

1. The sole trader supplier sits at his computer and fastidiously replies to every communivation.

3. The person phoning/emailing thinks they have got the suppliers undivided attention and proceeds to waffle on about nothing in particular, assuming that because thay have nothing better to do then neither does the supplier.

4. Because the sole trader supplier is permanently engaged on the phone/computer they are not getting any development work/packing/exhibition preparation/having a family life etc etc done.

5. Modellers come onto forums and complain that goods from said sole trader supplier are unavailable.

They can't win really.

1. Modellers realise the situation by reading messages on forums/talking with other modellers/talking to suppliers at exhibitions and taking the information on board.

2. Modellers realise packets of instant gratification are in short supply and live with it.

Mike.

Mike, I don’t want this to descend into email ping-pong BUT if the sole trader intends to do business he either has to decide that it is exhibition only and remove all contact details from his website or he needs to have the courtesy to respond. End of rant.

I actually need glazing for a Replica BR Suburban that was promised to be available in June when I bought it at the Basingstoke show mid-March, still not available. I looked on the Shawplan website but now won’t bother

Tim T

They can't win really.

Mike.

A good many years ago now my employer sent me, and a good many others, on a time management course. It was invaluable in allowing me to do my work in a normal working day. Highly recommended for those who cannot clear their desks at the end of the day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_management

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/time.htm

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

Inclined to agree (edit: with Tim's post). It's not really anything to do with being a sole trader, many (/most) sole traders would go out of business if they neither responded to emails nor picked up the phone.

It's clearly enough of an issue given this has come up multiple times that if I were Brian I would either:

- hire someone to do emails and phone calls and handle orders one day a week or something; or

- make it clear that orders are not accepted by email or phone, it's not just about "delays in busy times", I've actually never heard of someone being able to place an email order!

The website says their next exhibition is April 2018 too, although I accept there's a more comprehensive list further down. He doesn't need to be glued to his computer, I imagine he gets fewer than 20 orders a day, it needn't take more than 30 seconds to reply to an email. If you can't fit 10 minutes a day to sustain your business... well see the points above.

Again, I know Brian supplies manufacturers, and I'm sure that's more lucrative (and probably less time consuming) than sending single orders to end customers, but I'd rather he just said "exhibitions only, I don't want to talk to customers on the phone and I don't answer emails".

Edited by njee20

I've had stuff from Mr Shawplan at shows and mail order and found him a very obliging person. - I don't want to be the sacrificial lamb as I have a few years left I hope so maybe we could close this topic before it escaltes into a free for all "bitch"

Edited by sharkman

E-mailed a request for some plates from Shawplan 10 days ago and heard nothing, have just sent another, interested to know if theirs any delays or problems?

Thanks

Maybe he has gone on holiday for a couple of weeks before the school summer holidays start to avoid the busy period?

I would be more concerned if it was 10 months not 10 days.

Guest teacupteacup

I received a couple of items from Shawplan last week.  Sent an email enquiring pack contents and stock level, emailed back later that night with confirmation of stock and total cost inc postage.  Ordered straight away, paid by paypal and received the items a couple of days later.

Very helpful chap

I received a couple of items from Shawplan last week.  Sent an email enquiring pack contents and stock level, emailed back later that night with confirmation of stock and total cost inc postage.  Ordered straight away, paid by paypal and received the items a couple of days later.

Very helpful chap

This is clearly fake news.

As we all know, Brian sits atop his ‘Game of Thrones’ style chair (made entirely of flush glazing, etched OO gauge radiator grills and Deltic nameplates), manically laughing at the ringing phone and sneering at the size of his un-opened mail folder.

Edited by wirey33
  • Like 1

You can't beat an sae and cheque to Brian...works a treat.

Surprised your not still using telegrams and sending the monetary value of your orders in stamps? :)

You ca beat an sae & cheque it is called online payment and email which has a quicker turnaround time and Brian emails you the exact price the same day inc postage and packing. No errors are made in under or overcharging and refunds can easily be resolved in seconds.

By the time your letter arrives my email has been send, read, replied to, order processed and paid for, sent then received by me the following day where as your cheque still has to go to the bank to be paid in, wait for days for clearing before order sending then another trip out to post office, which is time which could be spend producing more orders!

• Like 1