Bachmann 2018 mid-year update

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Very many thanks for the update, clearly there are some very impressive models coming from Bachmann. Was there any news of the revised Bulleid coaches? They must have already done a huge amount of research for the N gauge versions so I am surprised that they have not progressed beyond the research stage, do you think there is any chance they might feature in the Warley announcements?

I have just returned from a trip to Germany and had the chance to visit the fantastic model shop in Aachen - goes by the name Hunerbein(!) - and see in their window a magnificent HO crane by Marklin. OK,  it is DCC but at 999.99 Euros the Bachmann - OK non motorised - seems a real bargain in comparison. Bachmann crane news would therefore be most welcome!

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Premium

I may Have missed it but is there a provisional release date for the class 90?

Hattons are currently suggesting March/April 2019 although someone else mentioned previously that the ETAs for products on the Bachmann website have been removed so this delivery date may not be as accurate now. 

Hope this helps. 

Great news for the 00'ers to see so many models at EP stage and they do look amazing - the underframe detail on those DMUS is exquisite.

However for the N Gauge modeller slightly disappointing that we haven't seen so much progress on many of the N Gauge announcements, some now made long while ago. The 8F is one such example, it has been at research and now CAD stage a long while, I had hoped this might be closer to tooling by now, especially given that the basic chassis concept is already well proven in the WD.

The J72 doesn't appear to have been mentioned at all and seems to be even further behind, as far as I know we haven't even been shown CADs yet? I am sure it will happen, but it would seem it is probably still two or more years away at least. Would be nice to be proved wrong...

That said, the Thompson coaches being at EP stage is something of a consolation, they look every bit as good as the NGS Thompson BGs already released and will complement them nicely. Some of these will definitely be on my shopping list.

Let's hope the Warley update includes news of more progress as regards the N models.

Roy

Edit : surprising that the first generation DMUs are not initially offered in BR blue (as opposed the blue/grey). The livery that dominated in the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. I'm sure they will come in due course.

Neil

Couldn't agree more. Same goes for the 2 Hap.

• RMweb Gold

As everybody knows, or they should because I've been banging on about it fairly relentlessly for most of the last couple of years, my main interest in this sort of update is progress on the 94xx, which I am greatly looking forward to in the BR production version (bet Bach'll bring the GW out first just to annoy me; fair play given the stick I've given them, I suppose!).  This is apparently now at the CAD stage, which is at least the first definite indication of progress on this model and is to be applauded, so I duly applaud it!

The online catalogue quotes a price, £124.99, for it, which will be the most I have ever paid for any single model railway item (unless the Dap 5101 beats it to the market) and it's only an 0-6-0 tank, but that's the way of the modern world and I am commenting, not complaining; I am sure the loco will be worth it, even if the price rises in the interim as I expect it will.  But no expected delivery date is given, not that I'd believe it anyway; this has been deferred so many times that I won't believe anything until it's in the shops!  Given that they'll sell out in about half an hour, I'll pre order from Lord and Butler.

I am proper impressed with the underframe detail on the dmu, and might at some point be in the market for a 121; trouble is, with that amount of underframe detail I'll want to derali it over on to it's side all the time!  DCC with a bit of vibration and revolving drive shafts would be amazing on this model...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As everybody knows, or they should because I've been banging on about it fairly relentlessly for most of the last couple of years, my main interest in this sort of update is progress on the 94xx, which I am greatly looking forward to in the BR production version (bet Bach'll bring the GW out first just to annoy me; fair play given the stick I've given them, I suppose!).  This is apparently now at the CAD stage, which is at least the first definite indication of progress on this model and is to be applauded, so I duly applaud it!

The online catalogue quotes a price, £124.99, for it, which will be the most I have ever paid for any single model railway item (unless the Dap 5101 beats it to the market) and it's only an 0-6-0 tank, but that's the way of the modern world and I am commenting, not complaining; I am sure the loco will be worth it, even if the price rises in the interim as I expect it will.  But no expected delivery date is given, not that I'd believe it anyway; this has been deferred so many times that I won't believe anything until it's in the shops!  Given that they'll sell out in about half an hour, I'll pre order from Lord and Butler.

I am proper impressed with the underframe detail on the dmu, and might at some point be in the market for a 121; trouble is, with that amount of underframe detail I'll want to derali it over on to it's side all the time!  DCC with a bit of vibration and revolving drive shafts would be amazing on this model...

And rattling windows when the engine revs hit the resonance frequency...….

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update Andy.

Silly question, but does this mean Bachmann are now getting on top of their deliveries?

Will we start to see new announcements that will appear within 6 months?

For many years Bachmann were on top of their game and Hornby were lacking, now it’s the other way round

Any update on the Johnson tank?

The Johnson 1P sounds very exciting, looking forward to it

As stated in my OP it's at the CAD stage.

Could someone with a bit of weight and gravitas in the industry (that's you Mr Y) please try and get Bachmann to decorate their LMS locos properly, with lining, or in the correct colour, for the 30's; instead of just banging everything out in plain black as in the last couple of years before nationalisation. (ie L&Y tank, 1P, Compound). I've been asking for years, but they obviously take no notice of plebs.

Could someone with a bit of weight and gravitas in the industry (that's you Mr Y) please try and get Bachmann to decorate their LMS locos properly, with lining, or in the correct colour, for the 30's; instead of just banging everything out in plain black as in the last couple of years before nationalisation. (ie L&Y tank, 1P, Compound). I've been asking for years, but they obviously take no notice of plebs.

The correct colour for the 1930s is err...... plain black with LMS on the side, usually but not always in yellow shaded in red

The crimson livery on all but express passenger locomotives was eradicated pretty quickly after 1928. Look at the An Illustrated History of L.M.S. Locomotives

books by David Jenkinson and R. J. Essery for details.

The only black locomotives that were lined after 1928 were the lesser tender passenger locomotives. 5MT, Crab, 2P, etc. Black tank locomotives weren't lined apart from the Fowler Tanks. Not even the black Stanier 2-6-4Ts.

Besides they've already done a crimson L&YR 2-4-2T which was seemingly a very poor seller seeing as it was discounted to about £60 when I got mine.

The same goes for the crimson Compounds. The NRM heavily discounted them. Even the train sets were going for less than £100 with three carriages, track and controller.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mr DRS it does. It gives me time to save up for one or three! I got a personal look at one at Warley. It was really good.

I'm really termpted with the 90042 Powerhaul liveried model. 

You were lucky to see them in person and you're right they do look very impressive just going by the photos. 

The same goes for the crimson Compounds. The NRM heavily discounted them. Even the train sets were going for less than £100 with three carriages, track and controller.

Jason

And there you are comparing apples with beef goulash.  Firstly, you try finding a trainset at less than £150 today.  Secondly the NRM 1000 is modelled on the preserved state of the pioneer Midland Compound, really only of use for a limited number of modellers who model the period it was on the mainline in the 1980s, or, if you are prepared to turn a blind eye to some of the details, the first 40 or so compounds built post Grouping which had the taller boiler fittings, Fowler tenders and were RHD.  It isn't the same as the LMS standard, left hand drive Compound which, if released in LMS 1930s red would outsell the ghastly black number in their droves.  Why?  Because there isn't an LMS modeller who couldn't use a Compound, they got everywhere from Scotland to Wales and London, hauled everything from expresses to stopping trains, and are a small tender loco perfect for those modelling secondary lines.  A large number made it through the war without getting daubed in austerity black, so LMS Red is their natural colour.

The reason why you sometimes see the NRM sponsored 1000 being discounted has nothing to do with the red livery, it's because it's frankly useless to anyone modelling the LMS, or the Midland for that matter, being a modern incarnation of the loco.  It needs a lot of work to bring it into the correct pattern for it's working life, including a new tender and various other modifications.  You can't make assumptions about the desirability of a Standard Fowler LHD Compound in red on the basis of the NRM 1000.

Edited by wombatofludham

• RMweb Premium

Not even the black Stanier 2-6-4Ts.

Are you saying Hornby got it wrong when they released their Stainer class 4 tanks in lined black then?

Besides they've already done a crimson L&YR 2-4-2T which was seemingly a very poor seller seeing as it was discounted to about £60 when I got mine.

That Compound was actually in Midland Railway livery and was basically a way of trying to shift the NRM commissioned model of the loco in the national collection.

As such the loco was pretty useless as an example of a LMS liveried compound and you are mistaken if you are trying to use that as your yardstick for 'red engines don't sell' theory.

The set was a bit of a mongral one anyway - the coaches were LMS period 1 stock (not Midland Railway carriages) done in Period 3 livery (Bachmann's interpretation of which is supposedly wrong anyway).

How well did the NRN red Crab model sell - because that represents a far better specimen to use than the Midland liveried 4-4-0.

Personally one of the big omissions so far is the pre 1928 LMS goods livery (unlined black with large gold numerals on tender / tank side)

Edited by phil-b259

I'm really termpted with the 90042 Powerhaul liveried model.

You were lucky to see them in person and you're right they do look very impressive just going by the photos.

I managed to go in with someone I know who runs a model shop and is friendly with the rep,i had a good look at it. I have been involved with 90s since introduction and they have Really made this one to a lovely standard including all the minor differences on the front end between the freight and the passenger locos. I will have the powerhaul one, and hopefully the other 2.

• Like 1