Bachmann 2018 mid-year update

Andy Y

The correct colour for the 1930s is err...... plain black with LMS on the side, usually but not always in yellow shaded in red

The crimson livery on all but express passenger locomotives was eradicated pretty quickly after 1928. Look at the An Illustrated History of L.M.S. Locomotives

books by David Jenkinson and R. J. Essery for details.

The only black locomotives that were lined after 1928 were the lesser tender passenger locomotives. 5MT, Crab, 2P, etc. Black tank locomotives weren't lined apart from the Fowler Tanks. Not even the black Stanier 2-6-4Ts.

Besides they've already done a crimson L&YR 2-4-2T which was seemingly a very poor seller seeing as it was discounted to about £60 when I got mine.

The same goes for the crimson Compounds. The NRM heavily discounted them. Even the train sets were going for less than £100 with three carriages, track and controller.

Jason

And there you are comparing apples with beef goulash.  Firstly, you try finding a trainset at less than £150 today.  Secondly the NRM 1000 is modelled on the preserved state of the pioneer Midland Compound, really only of use for a limited number of modellers who model the period it was on the mainline in the 1980s, or, if you are prepared to turn a blind eye to some of the details, the first 40 or so compounds built post Grouping which had the taller boiler fittings, Fowler tenders and were RHD.  It isn't the same as the LMS standard, left hand drive Compound which, if released in LMS 1930s red would outsell the ghastly black number in their droves.  Why?  Because there isn't an LMS modeller who couldn't use a Compound, they got everywhere from Scotland to Wales and London, hauled everything from expresses to stopping trains, and are a small tender loco perfect for those modelling secondary lines.  A large number made it through the war without getting daubed in austerity black, so LMS Red is their natural colour.

The reason why you sometimes see the NRM sponsored 1000 being discounted has nothing to do with the red livery, it's because it's frankly useless to anyone modelling the LMS, or the Midland for that matter, being a modern incarnation of the loco.  It needs a lot of work to bring it into the correct pattern for it's working life, including a new tender and various other modifications.  You can't make assumptions about the desirability of a Standard Fowler LHD Compound in red on the basis of the NRM 1000.

Are you saying Hornby got it wrong when they released their Stainer class 4 tanks in lined black then?

That Compound was actually in Midland Railway livery and was basically a way of trying to shift the NRM commissioned model of the loco in the national collection.

As such the loco was pretty useless as an example of a LMS liveried compound and you are mistaken if you are trying to use that as your yardstick for 'red engines don't sell' theory.

The set was a bit of a mongral one anyway - the coaches were LMS period 1 stock (not Midland Railway carriages) done in Period 3 livery (Bachmann's interpretation of which is supposedly wrong anyway).

How well did the NRN red Crab model sell - because that represents a far better specimen to use than the Midland liveried 4-4-0.

Personally one of the big omissions so far is the pre 1928 LMS goods livery (unlined black with large gold numerals on tender / tank side)

Thank you to the 2 contributors above for partially refuting the top posting. There was so much wrong with it I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to start a long dissertation.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So even 009 modellers will have more new items from Bachmann than N Scale modellers? I do get the impression that the Farish range is becoming a bit like "Cinderella" for Bachmann.

I don't understand why this should surprise you. Bachmann have only just started selling 009, so obviously they are going to increase the range quite a bit until it becomes reasonable. Remind me, How long has Graham Farish N gauge been in existence>

• RMweb Premium

So even 009 modellers will have more new items from Bachmann than N Scale modellers? I do get the impression that the Farish range is becoming a bit like "Cinderella" for Bachmann.

Bachmann has to make money and they have said on many occasions that N gauge models do not sell as well as OO, so it seems fairly logical to prioritise clearing the backlog of OO models if it gets more money in the bank more quickly. We're seeing lots of Sales Rep limited edition Class 47s and soon 37s in OO, perhaps as a way of using factory slots that would otherwise be lost, based on existing tooling that can be turned round (and hopefully then sold out) quite quickly.

We have no idea how much N gauge is sitting unsold in the Bachmann warehouse, but if it sells through more slowly, that unsold inventory is costing them money so why add to it with more versions of existing models?

Edited by brushman47544

The N Gauge cabinet featured the magnificent C Class and Birdcage coaches which are forthcoming, EP samples of the Class 70 and the Thompsons so I don't think there's too much need for any inferiority complex to be necessary. The briefing explained that Farish products made up 20% of Bachmann Europe's business in the last year so it's not going to be neglected as irrelevant, although the number of releases may be proportionate there may be some times when you have more progress evident in one scale rather than another. I recall a point a year or so ago where we were getting more Farish coming in than Branchline, it's just the way it goes sometime.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the first actual physical evidence that the model is progressing beyond an imagined intention for some time in the future not yet positively determined, and is hence a very encouraging step.

Edited by The Johnster

...there may be some times when you have more progress evident in one scale rather than another....

Applies to areas of interest too, within a scale. Bachmann effortlessly flogged me volumes of product for 16 years, ever since the very welcome launch of their 'Blue Riband WD 2-8-0 in 1999. It's been a desert by comparison the last two years, and not for want of potential subject matter, the stream of suitable items has just 'dried up'.

I do feel that it never hurts to make clear that there isn't a business in the world that doesn't want to make profitable sales, so if they are undersupplying potential demand it is going to be due to problems that the business is struggling to correct. Businesses are always working to solve problems, but as customers it is only when they fail to solve their significant problems 'out of sight' that we properly take notice.  On the basis that Bachmann have a sustained track record of actually producing the goods, I am inclined to cut them some slack over delays. Because the implication I would read is that the problems they face must be significant.

• Like 1

On the basis that Bachmann have a sustained track record of actually producing the goods, I am inclined to cut them some slack over delays. Because the implication I would read is that the problems they face must be significant.

When there are any delays I know it frustrates staff at Bachmann as much as anyone but they get on with it and deal with it. Every year there are challenges when a percentage of the workforce change employer; retraining and getting processes moving again after Chinese New Year often leads to a reduction in out put (compared to some months) which means that production starts to get rolling properly in March/April and coming out of the factory gates a couple of months after that followed by a couple of months and before you know it it's the end of the summer here and I'm looking at a stack of boxes I've got to photograph and review which includes Freightliner flats, Mark "F coaches and a C1 Atlantic (hot on the heels of the Brighton Atlantic) and I expect to see several more boxes across the desk this side of Christmas. Arguably it's never really been any different as even when production was in the UK a lot of it was geared up towards meeting the Christmas market. A year or so ago we explained that there were going to be increased resources in China to move the research files completed at Barwell onwards more switfly so that's one challenge that's seeing results in addition to the movement of production facilities to the new plant. I understand that there are fewer immediately local factories which want to attract the same skillsets so hopefully it will also mean that this relocation may help with staff retention come New Year.

Often we don't get stuff when we may like to see it but it does come as you say.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good to see movement on the aircons and POTS even if the former hold no immediate interest here.  They have both been in the queue for more than long enough.  

As regards livery choices for the 117/121 and 2Hap units I would be fairly sure these three options are for starters and that others may follow.  Remember too that a few livery options have been reserved for commissions which will add to the choice fairly early on.  Again my preferred are not among the leaders but there is no rush and 117s in green syp and early blue will find a home here as will at least one 2Hap in due course.

Full marks for the OO9 program which might have raised eyebrows at an early stage but clearly is attracting more than enough sales to become a serious growth area.  Keep it up.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Given that some liveries are fairly easy to apply yourself (dmu/emu green, blue, even blue/grey) I would personally rather see the manufacturers concentrating on 'diffiucult' liveries; we can more easily paint the model to our own requirements then!  Marketing doesn't work like that, though.  

To take my 1950s WR BLT case, repainting B set coaches or auto trailers into plain crimson livery is not a big deal, but representing late GW fully lined is much harder; I am duly grateful to the manufacturers who provide me with stock in this livery or early BR crimson/cream for trailers.  A planned trailer in austerity plain brown isn't going to cause me much trouble, either.

But I have to accept that the manufacturers have to market to people unwilling or unable to repaint...

The latest Collectors Club mag states the class 90 is in production although a little while ago Bachmann had march 2019 as a potential delivery date. So does in production mean in production or ready for production awaiting factory slot? Or does it take about 4 months for a model to progress through the factory?

Thanks

Mark

The 24s are looking beautiful, albeit that the model is restricted to an even smaller prototype batch than the Scottish fleet represents.  [At this point I have legally to declare an interest]

Just in case anyone's interested, here's the maths:

D5114 - 5132 Scottish headcode version with tablet catcher recess and (from 1966) twin Morris Minor headlights and various draught excluder mods - total 19 locomotives

D5133 - 5150 London Midland (and strays*) version without tablet catcher recess - total 18 locomotives. 

HOWEVER,

24133 had headcode mini-wings at No. 2 end in TOPS 

24134 had odd headcode/ cab dome treatments (one end from a Class 25/1) precluding its portrayal in TOPS condition

24147 had sloping sided headcode box fairings

24148 had sloping sided headcode box fairings from 1969 

So, the model as produced is generally applicable to 14 locos, making it one of the most niche diesels produced by Bachmann to date in its general range.

* 24147 - 50 were allocated to NER and ScR, 24150 was pretty much a bona fide ScR loco, certainly in Blue.

Looking forwards to the 2-HAP. Just need to design a part of the layout so that the train flips on the side to see all the details underneath!

Nice to see the speaker prefitted, but the CEPs and EPBs are bit of challenge to get apart and fit chips (the MLV a god send with its 4 screws). I hope body removal is easy, as I don't fancy fighting to get the clips apart with all those wonderful seperate underframe details just waiting to come off as we attempt it.

Hesitating over whether to get one or two of those.

• RMweb Gold

The 2-Hap definitely looks good. I think there may have to be some negotiations with SWMBO on getting a green one, even though I would prefer an all blue one.

The 117 also looks great, but not sure about replacing my detailed Lima one.... the upgraded drive train may just possibly swing it though.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The latest Collectors Club mag states the class 90 is in production although a little while ago Bachmann had march 2019 as a potential delivery date. So does in production mean in production or ready for production awaiting factory slot? Or does it take about 4 months for a model to progress through the factory?

Thanks

Mark

If other models referred to as "in production" in the Club magazine are anything to go by (e.g. the TPO POT in OO), I suspect it means "approved for production" (i.e. your 2nd option), which may be imminent or a few months or so away.

If other models referred to as "in production" in the Club magazine are anything to go by (e.g. the TPO POT in OO), I suspect it means "approved for production" (i.e. your 2nd option), which may be imminent or a few months or so away.

Andy Y's original update has the TPO POTs as 'In Transit' so presumably thats been produced and in a container somewhere (perhaps not left the factory until the container is full) but on its way

Given that some liveries are fairly easy to apply yourself (dmu/emu green, blue, even blue/grey) I would personally rather see the manufacturers concentrating on 'diffiucult' liveries; we can more easily paint the model to our own requirements then!  Marketing doesn't work like that, though.  

With the 117 it's not as simple as that as, for a blue one you need gangways and probably separate exhaust stacks but not the body modifications of the refurbished ones. Repainting models is not always straightforward either, glazing often being difficult to remove for a start. I might go as far as yellow panels on a green one - I did that on a roof headcode 108, which Bachmann never made in green with yellow panels.

Hopefully a blue one will come, even if as a limited edition sponsored by a model shop. That was the only way to obtain a blue 108 for years and is still the only roof headcode one done in blue.

The 24s are looking beautiful, albeit that the model is restricted to an even smaller prototype batch than the Scottish fleet represents.  [At this point I have legally to declare an interest]

Just in case anyone's interested, here's the maths:

D5114 - 5132 Scottish headcode version with tablet catcher recess and (from 1966) twin Morris Minor headlights and various draught excluder mods - total 19 locomotives

D5133 - 5150 London Midland (and strays*) version without tablet catcher recess - total 18 locomotives. 

HOWEVER,

24133 had headcode mini-wings at No. 2 end in TOPS 

24134 had odd headcode/ cab dome treatments (one end from a Class 25/1) precluding its portrayal in TOPS condition

24147 had sloping sided headcode box fairings

24148 had sloping sided headcode box fairings from 1969 

So, the model as produced is generally applicable to 14 locos, making it one of the most niche diesels produced by Bachmann to date in its general range.

* 24147 - 50 were allocated to NER and ScR, 24150 was pretty much a bona fide ScR loco, certainly in Blue.

Enough for me as I shall have two or three. I would backdate a blue one to a pre-TOPS number though, if I can find a photo of one in matching condition (eg valances or not).

that can't be right, did not J72's have a great bit lump of Metal sticking out into the Cab?

Yes and later they were often seen with the top half of a human stuck to the lump. Surely people are not going to start saying that Mainline got the cab interior wrong on this tank loco? If they did, it means my entire childhood was a lie as far as J72s go....