RevolutioN announce 56xx in N

Andy Y

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos Phil. Not being a GWR modeller I'll leave the experts to comment on accuracy but considering this is Sonic Models first loco, it looks pretty darned excellent to me and will be another rule 1 purchase!

Tom.  

• Like 2

On 02/06/2019 at 21:22, Kris said:

This may not ever have been seen going around the lines in Cornwall but it will be a purchase. 

Do people think that if enough Devon and Cornwall modellers buy this loco and use of their layouts that people might start to think that they actually did run in the area and railway history will get rewritten? Or will the GWR modelling mafia stamp out such an uprising with great force?

Nick

• Funny 4

Mine will run from it's home GW territory to where may layout in build is based which is somewhat further East! I will find a semi-plausible reason, there were a lot of lines criss-crossing the Midlands, M&SWJR being one of note - coal from Wales being trip worked from Banbury maybe??

Even in it's EP state it is looks beautifully executed loco, and deserves to do well which from reaction to date it surely will. The other good thing is to see the speed it has progressed at, no "spin" or "vapourware" here. Well done to all involved.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Model looks superb, needs to followed up by a 4200 Class 2-8-0T to the same standard! I need to go and find the livery options ... 

EDIT: Answered my own question, still to be announced! Guys have you given any though to doing a small number of models (perhaps pre-orders only) that are taken out of the production line after painting but before transfers/tampo printing are done? I am thinking GWR green liveries are various and it gives the modeller the option to easily number the loco to what he/she wants? Just a thought.

Edited by MarshLane

5615, with a toolbox at the front, at Treherbert, 5 October 1947. This shows that large balance weights were being fitted prior to BR days, but I'm not sure when the changeover started.

5615-treherbert-5oct47-small.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Model looks superb, needs to followed up by a 4200 Class 2-8-0T to the same standard! I need to go and find the livery options ... 

EDIT: Answered my own question, still to be announced! Guys have you given any though to doing a small number of models (perhaps pre-orders only) that are taken out of the production line after painting but before transfers/tampon printing are done? I am thinking GWR green liveries are various and it gives the modeller the option to easily number the loco to what he/she wants? Just a thought.

They're printing them with what?!! :o

Tom.  

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomE said:

They're printing them with what?!! :o

Tom.  

Oops!  Always remember to check what you've written, when replying from a mobile phone and the spell checker kicks in!!!

Thanks Tom!

Rich

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 22:10, Phil Parker said:

A slightly dusty (sorry) model, seen at DEMU today.

Revolution-Sonic Loco.jpgRevolution-Sonic Loco back.jpg

These look really great. The boiler bands are more prominent than the prorotype TBH, but that seems par for the course with N gauge RTR steam locos.

Chris

Off Topic I appreciate, but looking at the excellent job done by Sonic so far with the 56xx, I wonder if in due course when (hopefully) a second N Gauge steam loco is being considered, the J94 (18 Inch Hunslet) might be worth a look now that the DJM proposal has died with the company? With the significant number of locos produced and large range of liveries (many PO) it seems such a "no brainer" that somebody do it. I am thinking similar spec to the NGS Hunslet. 

Now back to that 56xx, from whom and when can I order???

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 03/06/2019 at 15:05, TomJ said:

I think there may well he a lot of ‘rule 1’ reallocations of these lovely little locos away from South Wales!

Fortunately the real things did wander far and wide (bearing in mind that their red-route allocation kept them away from certain areas). The far south-west seems to be one of the few places they didn't wander. I even have a photo of 5619 on ECS duty at Paddington as even OOC had them allocated from time to time.

Not quite a GADA loco but far more widespread than a first glance would suggest. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

These are now available for pre order on the revolution website @ £81.50 postage is steep however at £10.  

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

These are now available for pre order on the revolution website @ £81.50 postage is steep however at £10.  

As someone who posts stuff regularly I think that the price isn't that bad.

Royal Mail charge £7.40 for a small parcel compensated to the value of a model locomotive.

That leaves £2.60 to cover the box and padding  I'm getting quotes of around 40p each for suitable boxes bought new if purchased in units of 100,  and new bubble wrap works out at about 30p per loco.  I sell secondhand so can get away with recycled boxes and packaging - RevolutioN have a reputation to maintain so can't.

That takes the price of the postage and packing materials in the order of £8.25 once the label and Sellotape are added in, leaving £1.75 to cover printing out invoices/receipts and time to actually print them out and pack everything.  You would need to do about seven or eight  an hour to get to minimum wage.

£10 postage steep?  Not for a small business.

Les

• Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

As someone who posts stuff regularly I think that the price isn't that bad.

Royal Mail charge £7.40 for a small parcel compensated to the value of a model locomotive.

Small businesses can open an account with Royal Mail and access the Tracked 24 and 48 services which are much better value than the equivalent Signed For or Special Delivery services that the public can get via Post Offices.

I believe the catch is that you either have to have a regular booked collection, or drop off at a Royal Mail (not Post Office) site - i.e. a sorting office.

So £10 does still seem a little steep. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kris said:

I can't find anything on the website, have you got a link?

Edit - found it, my bad.

Edited by Richard E

1 hour ago, justin1985 said:

Small businesses can open an account with Royal Mail and access the Tracked 24 and 48 services which are much better value than the equivalent Signed For or Special Delivery services that the public can get via Post Offices.

I believe the catch is that you either have to have a regular booked collection, or drop off at a Royal Mail (not Post Office) site - i.e. a sorting office.

So £10 does still seem a little steep. 

I think you have forgotten that there is 20% VAT to charge on the postage element (so say £1.48) even though there is no VAT to recover on the 0% rate that Royal Mail charge RevolutioN.