Jump to content

micklner

KRModels announce a GT3 Model

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

 

You don't have any information but still state it is a non-running EP. Since there will be many who have now had a look at the model and talked to Keith, it might be better to bide your time and wait for details..................................

 

.

 

Thankyou for those that responded.  It would seem that it is a running model but apparently due a power supply issue to the stand the model could not be tested.  Thus it seems without further corroboration that no one saw it running.  If I was exhibiting the model and it was a running sample then upon finding that no power was available then I would have gone to the local parts store and purchased a 12 volt battery and jury rigged a power supply.   Given the overall cost of the project the price of a battery and controller is infinitesimal in getting the model functional for display.  I am sure that seeing the model run would have pushed many more over the line in placing orders.  The sound system was able to be tested on another stand so only analogue power would be needed to display the model and not digital.

 

I would certainly like to know that some one did actually see it run but to date no postings as such. 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

 

Thankyou for those that responded.  It would seem that it is a running model but apparently due a power supply issue to the stand the model could not be tested.  Thus it seems without further corroboration that no one saw it running.  If I was exhibiting the model and it was a running sample then upon finding that no power was available then I would have gone to the local parts store and purchased a 12 volt battery and jury rigged a power supply.   Given the overall cost of the project the price of a battery and controller is infinitesimal in getting the model functional for display.  I am sure that seeing the model run would have pushed many more over the line in placing orders.  The sound system was able to be tested on another stand so only analogue power would be needed to display the model and not digital.

 

I would certainly like to know that some one did actually see it run but to date no postings as such. 

 

 

But would you have made your first run in public view? Or would you have done so privately? Just imagine the impact of that annoying piece of swarf in the drive system. I think that KR were sensible not to demonstrate the model until they had the chance to run it themselves privately.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

 

But would you have made your first run in public view? Or would you have done so privately? Just imagine the impact of that annoying piece of swarf in the drive system. I think that KR were sensible not to demonstrate the model until they had the chance to run it themselves privately.

 

I am sure that KR Models did not just fly in from Canada the morning of the exhibition and would have had  time to test the models prior the exhibition.  After so much research and hard work getting to a motorised model the first thing one would do is see how it runs.  I assume that it was run in the factory before release of the test samples to the company.   Further,  given that the company had previously been to Warley the year before,  from memory,  when they announced the GT3,  one would think that being a commercial concern and knowing that they would hopefully have had an EP to run this year,  that they would have specified a stand with access to power.  Perhaps in their defence they may have simply assumed that power would be available.   I am sure that any of the "OO" layouts would have been only too pleased to offer their exhibits to test run the loco.

 

A running demonstrated loco would have convinced anyone sitting on the fence to get out their wallets,  but unless a report is cited as actually seeing the model run then I conclude it was a "non running model",  not saying that it did not have a drive as apparently both models did,  but not tested in public.  Why?   I await a report of a successful test run,  given that the exhibition was the ideal public venue to show the model in operation.   Keith responded to a question as to the models being motorised on the previous page (Friday night) and said that they run well so obviously they had been previously run, so why not at the exhibition?

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

 

I am sure that KR Models did not just fly in from Canada the morning of the exhibition and would have had  time to test the models prior the exhibition.  After so much research and hard work getting to a motorised model the first thing one would do is see how it runs.  I assume that it was run in the factory before release of the test samples to the company.   Further,  given that the company had previously been to Warley the year before,  from memory,  when they announced the GT3,  one would think that being a commercial concern and knowing that they would hopefully have had an EP to run this year,  that they would have specified a stand with access to power.  Perhaps in their defence they may have simply assumed that power would be available.   I am sure that any of the "OO" layouts would have been only too pleased to offer their exhibits to test run the loco.

 

A running demonstrated loco would have convinced anyone sitting on the fence to get out their wallets,  but unless a report is cited as actually seeing the model run then I conclude it was a "non running model",  not saying that it did not have a drive as apparently both models did,  but not tested in public.  Why?   I await a report of a successful test run,  given that the exhibition was the ideal public venue to show the model in operation.   Keith responded to a question as to the models being motorised on the previous page (Friday night) and said that they run well so obviously they had been previously run, so why not at the exhibition?

 

I am not exactly sure what your fetish about a running sample will prove. The model is being assembled in a factory in China that has on the balance of probability has done other model railway work. In all likelihood it will run in a similar manner to other RTR models. Hornby have a Princes and 61XX that are due in January. did they have running models on their stands? I am sure at some point in the near  future there will be a video of the model running. Maybe you can quell your excitement until then?

 

Craig W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Craigw said:

 

I am not exactly sure what your fetish about a running sample will prove. The model is being assembled in a factory in China that has on the balance of probability has done other model railway work. In all likelihood it will run in a similar manner to other RTR models. Hornby have a Princes and 61XX that are due in January. did they have running models on their stands? I am sure at some point in the near  future there will be a video of the model running. Maybe you can quell your excitement until then?

 

Craig W

 

An administrator cited that I had no information to backup my statement of a non-running model on display, so I requested if anyone had actually viewed the model running to confirm the level of development of the project.  As yet no report of a running model.  Warley was an ideal opportunity to show a running model and Keith cited on the previous page that the model "runs well but proper testing will begin next week",  so why,  if the model runs well not demonstrate them running and finally convince the fence sitters that the model is functional and thus convince them to add their name to the order books before the cut off date?  If there was no intention of showing the model running then was this conveyed to the attendees at the exhibition?  

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike Hornby etc KR Models has yet to gain the full confidence of modellers that his models work, especially given the debate on the drive mechanism used.

 

He brought one to Warely that he says works, but failed to demonstrate it working.

 

As GWR-fan says, this is a serious missed opportunity to convince the fence sitters.

 

The situation might be rescued sonewhat if the recorded interview that Andy York has done were to include some footage of the GT3 working. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

 

An administrator cited that I had no information to backup my statement of a non-running model on display, so I requested if anyone had actually viewed the model running to confirm the level of development of the project.  As yet no report of a running model.

 

 

I was there and can confirm there was definitely no running model. This has been said a few times already. And the same for the reason as there was apparently power supply issues. All that was on the stand was a model out of a display case for inspection and one in the display case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

 

I am sure that KR Models did not just fly in from Canada the morning of the exhibition and would have had  time to test the models prior the exhibition.

 

Except that the models arrived from China after he arrived from Canada - or at least that's what he claimed. Until you have some actual facts, your constant continued critical posting looks to the outsider like a vendetta.

 

This is a toy train. If you don't like the person selling it, don't give him any money and ignore it, it won't hurt you. There is a perfectly acceptable kit for GT3 if you really want to have this loco on your layout. Otherwise, sit tight and let's see what KR produce. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craigw said:

The model is being assembled in a factory in China that has on the balance of probability has done other model railway work. In all likelihood it will run in a similar manner to other RTR models.

 

From other traders, the factory being used by KR is producing models for other companies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

 

This is a toy train. 

 

Not the comment I would have expected from Phil. It's certainly not being marketed at a "toy train"  price.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

 

Not the comment I would have expected from Phil. It's certainly not being marketed at a "toy train"  price.

 

If you don't like the person selling it, don't give him any money and ignore it, it won't hurt you

 

That bit of his reply might be useful.

 

Craig W

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

 

Not the comment I would have expected from Phil. It's certainly not being marketed at a "toy train"  price.

 

It's not bread, water or rice. You can live perfectly well without it. And this isn't the first time I've pointed out that some proportion is required in discussions, I think the earliest would have been "City of Truro" being produced by Bachmann/NRM and the tantrums that elicited.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

 

Except that the models arrived from China after he arrived from Canada - or at least that's what he claimed. Until you have some actual facts, your constant continued critical posting looks to the outsider like a vendetta.

 

This is true, the models themselves arrived at my (Michael's) house on the Thursday while we were at Didcot and werent able to do any pre-show testing due to our already very limited time. Apologies for any confusion, I hope this has helped some of you.

  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll leave you all to it as it's not worth falling out over. I still think it is more than just a toy train.

 

I could say that RMweb itself is "Not bread water or rice ......" but I won't

 

The point could have been made without reference to toys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

 

........................

If you don't like the person selling it, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

 

Thanykyou Phil,

                           I have no issue with the proprietor and if one was to read my comments I have praised the model and the manufacturer for being upfront of late with answers to many of the issues criticised in the past twelve months.  I feel that if the models were functional then it is a missed opportunity to increase sales before the cut off date and show that a lot of progress has been made to date.   If the model could not be run for logistics reasons at the exhibition then a laptop with a video showing the model running would have been more than adequate to get increased sales.  Last years exhibition had a brochure and this year a static model.  Just seems like a missed opportunity.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Why? 

 

I am guessing that you have never had the joyful experience of running a trade stand for a full weekend under the constant bombardment of people asking questions and wanting to order items. Some people in here need to adjust their demands and expectations rather than casting aspersions from a (long) distance. I'm sure you'll get chance to see evidence in due course.

 

I'll be putting out an interview with KR in due course. That'll be for a general audience rather just for your personal entertainment to then pick holes in.

 

I had an honest chat with Keith and at times I've doubted how things may turn out but I'm happy with the evidence of development I've seen so far. More important than putting his money where his mouth is he has shown evidence that he's put others money where his mouth is which in light of other debacles is the main thing - once again, evidence of development and in a respectably short time period.

  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyou Andy,

                             I have not participated in a model railway trade stand but have participated at an annual large furniture stand at a major Australian capital royal show and yes, it does get very busy and hectic,  but then my time was to assist my brother-in-law to increase sales for his business.  We did all that we could do to promote the business over the week of the show from morning to late at night.    Similarly,  Keith's participation was to show his current customers the state of progress of the project and hopefully increase sales.   He was obviously not there for a holiday.  I have praised both the model and Keith himself and wished him well for future releases particularly as he is choosing prototypes ignored by other manufacturers.  It does help to read what I have written overall and not to be selective. 

 

I have no reason to criticise a video that shows an interview and a running sample.  I have already praised the model and look forward to see the drive that is eventually chosen for production.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

I am guessing that you have never had the joyful experience of running a trade stand for a full weekend under the constant bombardment of people asking questions and wanting to order items

Been there, not in model railways, but gave up because of the effort involved and the attitude of people who ask the impossible then want a discount when you actually produce it.

Back on topic, I hope that Keith is successful in bringing some unusual prototypes to market. I doubt that some of these would ever see enough commercial return to satisfy the backers of the big boys. If it wasn't for a project like this those wanting one can always resort to some modelling. 

  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

 

 runs.  .... run ... run .. run 

 

running ... run .... running ... run, .. run .... run, 

 

Sounds like a case of the runs to me....:rolleyes:

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

I have no reason to criticise a video that shows an interview and a running sample.

 

You will, the video was done before the running sample ran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

You will, the video was done before the running sample ran.

 

Did you really have to say that!!!  :)

 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

 

You will, the video was done before the running sample ran.

 

Andy if that's a confirmation from you that it did run, then that's good enough for me even if it's not recorded in the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

 

  If I was exhibiting the model and it was a running sample then upon finding that no power was available then I would have gone to the local parts store and purchased a 12 volt battery and jury rigged a power supply.  

 

 

The exhibition hall's Safety Officer would almost certainly veto that.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Andy if that's a confirmation from you that it did run,

 

I've already said we didn't have chance to get back and see if it was shown running. I'm losing the will to assist today.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.