Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

There's been a few mentions of 009, but for Hornby to enter that field, I think they'd be doing it like their 00 range; with track and ancillaries to accompany their stock. And with their current situation, I don't think that's likely. I also think that the suggestions of a Double Fairlie would be a heck of a risk as a first loco with the huge amount of differences between all of the FfR's selection of them, you'd be hard pressed to find two the same for muchbof their lives, with variations in wheelbase and overall size for starters! Would Hornby's target market go for a loco in a brand new scale (to Hornby) at north of £200 which I reckon a Double could easily be?

I'd be surprised if we didn't see an LMS Princess and a Manor, either this year or next and maybe some sort of Scottish tank loco to go with the J36 (Upgraded J83?). A Q6 in original form would be nice, and having dismantled one, is probably already in CAD as the parts breakdown will allow for the necessary changes easily enough. We could then have a pre-mid-thirties loco or even a pre-grouping one (please!)

We've just had the LNER 'TOAD' so some sort of related freight stock for it to hang on the back of would be good. If not reissued steel bodied coal hoppers, then NER wooden ones would be good to go with the Q6.

Extra vehicles for existing coach ranges is wise, as there's already a market there, and if tied in to a re-issue with new running numbers can generate plenty of new sales.

As for a 'Wow' factor, or whatever it's being marketed as, I could see something like a working level crossing or ready to plant signals which plug and play with their DCC accessory box.

Not long to wait, but I'm really hoping there's nothing big for me in there: I've still got plenty of pre-orders to come in the near(ish) future!

Cheers

J

Edited for auto correct typos, not sure I caught them all though!

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s definitely the LNER/ GWR turn next year. SR & LMS have had it really good recently with the Original Merchant Navy, Lord Nelson, Princess Coronation and Original Princess Coronation. Surely a Manor or Saint has to be a given for GWR fans, along with a new LNER something. A2 perhaps, or a full Fat A1 with Tornado option.

• RMweb Gold

I think it’s definitely the LNER/ GWR turn next year. SR & LMS have had it really good recently with the Original Merchant Navy, Lord Nelson, Princess Coronation and Original Princess Coronation. Surely a Manor or Saint has to be a given for GWR fans, along with a new LNER something. A2 perhaps, or a full Fat A1 with Tornado option.

As a mainstay of the Hornby range (and we all know why) I think the most likely LNER loco will be a properly sorted A3.

Given the number of wonky-shaped ones that seem to get through to be complained about on here, the rejection rate in the factory must be huge.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

If we’re talking LNER,a B16,with its NER origins would be just the job IMHO.They lasted into the 1960’s so a number of liveries possible.The NER is a rich vein of possibility and somewhat neglected.

GW ?...Manor,Saint and Hawksworth County,please.

• Like 1

As a mainstay of the Hornby range (and we all know why) I think the most likely LNER loco will be a properly sorted A3.

Given the number of wonky-shaped ones that seem to get through to be complained about on here, the rejection rate in the factory must be huge.

John

I think the rejection rate at the factory is zero, hence the problem!

• Like 2

I've just been looking through some old southern region books and came across some locomotives that might be of interest. The LSWR T1 or LSWR class A12 locomotives seem quite interesting, perhaps not viable to produce but thought it was worth mentioning. I'm sure the Q class has been mentioned numerous times and the C2x, well I think we can just leave that one to Bachmann.

An A12 would be nice as it was fairly long lived - but an Adams 4-4-0 would probably prove more popular : wait for 563 to steam perhaps ? .......... the T1, unfortunately, is far too similar to the M7 to generate a HUGE amount of interest - unless it's similar enough to use existing CAD. Yes, the Q had appeared in Hornby's promotional videos of late - promoting the 'H' - so is not impossible ....... but I think it would probably have to follow an 'all new' L1 with which it would have some commonality - and would sell like hot cakes - if only for nostalgia's sake. The C2X is rather a minefield of detail variants so it would be a serious challenge to tool-up for every option - and we'd DEMAND EVERY option, wouldn't we !

• Like 2

Southern locomotives the main ones or the more famous smaller classes have already been done. The only open goal really would be one of the SECR 4-4-0’s or their maunsell rebuilds or the LSWR H15. Outside chance would be a U or Q. And if Hornby was going to go for something in the big tank variety I would say the SECR J class over the W, Z, H16 or G16. They are not as confined as the others, reasonably long lived and would compliment the H & C class

Big James

The only tankie you list with more than ten members was the W - and ( ignoring occasional posting of a Z in Kent ) that's the one with the widest geographical coverage ..... so that's my guess - though I feel a 4-4-0 or U Boat is far more likely to appear from Hornby someone.

• RMweb Gold

An A12 would be nice as it was fairly long lived - but an Adams 4-4-0 would probably prove more popular : wait for 563 to steam perhaps ? .......... the T1, unfortunately, is far too similar to the M7 to generate a HUGE amount of interest - unless it's similar enough to use existing CAD. Yes, the Q had appeared in Hornby's promotional videos of late - promoting the 'H' - so is not impossible ....... but I think it would probably have to follow an 'all new' L1 with which it would have some commonality - and would sell like hot cakes - if only for nostalgia's sake. The C2X is rather a minefield of detail variants so it would be a serious challenge to tool-up for every option - and we'd DEMAND EVERY option, wouldn't we !

Hornby haven't covered even half of the main variations in the M7 yet.....

The A12 is attractive but, whilst a handful survived into BR ownership, none lasted long enough to receive BR livery, something that always provides a useful "base load" demand for a model.

There could be an H15, or a Urie S15. Its likely Hornby would have developed at least a basic set of CADs alongside their work on the King Arthur and Maunsell S15, probably quick to do but maybe inadvisable whilst the existing S15s are still plentiful.

My strongest bet for a new Southern (Region) loco is a retool for the Rebuilt MN with at least one different tender. If they did the BR 5250 gallon body, it would give them an easy refresh for the Rebuilt Light Pacific, too.  

John  

• RMweb Premium

Guaranteed, since I've just finished tarting up yet another of the existing kind!

D or Q for the Southern seem relatively likely to me from Hornby or Bachmann. (Although wouldn't put it past Hattons or Rails either).

I would like some ex LSWR and LBSCR carriages for Brighton to Portsmouth and / or Cardiff services I've seen lots of 1930s photos of. Quite a mismatch of stock in some.

And I'll have an H in wartime black please. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the catalogue will be available through WH Smith/ Tescos etc this year?   I think it was bundled with Hornby Mag once.  Struggling to remember how I got last years catalogue , as in Glasgow we have no local stockists now.  Think it must have been Tescos.

• Like 1

I wonder if the catalogue will be available through WH Smith/ Tescos etc this year?   I think it was bundled with Hornby Mag once.  Struggling to remember how I got last years catalogue , as in Glasgow we have no local stockists now.  Think it must have been Tescos.

It has been bundled with the Hornby Mag for two years in succession although my local WH Smith at Swanage did not know anything about it. I got them directly from the publishers but I am sorry that I have forgotten their web site.

...with the Engine Shed (or some other mechanism) they could have this sort of interest in Hornby - or froth if you prefer - several times a year instead of one short period.

Once upon a time, not too long ago, they did exactly that - then they went back to the '70s.

From former experience, I can see reasons for this. While maintaining customer interest appears wholly beneficial, with the business on life support there will be a concern that expectations might be raised that prove impossible to fulfil. Sometimes there 's only enough energy to manage so much... (Look at their major RTR OO competitor which for different reasons is in the mire on the fulfilling expectations front, and receiving some pretty public criticism here.)

I would like to see an S&D train pack, consisting of a 2P in BR lined Black with a Maunsell 3 coach low window set in blood & custard. They have all the parts already, + nice livery.

Neil

None of them were on the S&D service trains... :tomato:

Edited by The Black Hat

Seeing lots of calls for Southern engines for Hornby - yet have to wonder if that's wise. The market here is over saturated with products and choices, with many small companies, start ups and magazines doing yet more for the area.

Polling and discussions combined have shown that people modelling the area will buy more than one pre-grouping company engine given they were so small in geographical coverage compared to some other much larger pre-grouping companies that had steam also last till the very end.

In light of that, would it be best for Hornby to produce yet more for an area that has stiff competition and possible delays to the sales of engines when they are released. Some engines done for other areas, like the Duchess sold really well and brought in a quick return of cashflow. I'm sure that Hornby's creditors will be looking for more results like that rather than push into an area that has sold well in the past but now seems crowded.  

Something to think about... :scratchhead:

None of them were on the S&D service trains... :tomato:

Which do you mean the 2Ps or the coaches?  I thought Maunsell sets 390-399 were allocated and Ivo Peter's books show various sets being pulled by 2Ps.  A nice photo of a gleaming 40568 comes to mind?

Neil

Which do you mean the 2Ps or the coaches?  I thought Maunsell sets 390-399 were allocated and Ivo Peter's books show various sets being pulled by 2Ps.  A nice photo of a gleaming 40568 comes to mind?

Neil

They might have been down south, but the S&D is the Stockton and Darlington. Its fun to remind people we got there first...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Neil

That would have been the S&D Jt Rlwy.  As already pointed out the S&D Rlwy was located in the north east of England (and, unlike the S&D Jt,  is in part still in regular daily use).

However I still cannot see Locomotion No.1 being Hornby's prize winning 00 model for 2019, or any other year.  But as I've already said I think those with an interest in railways south of the Thames - and perhaps north of Shaftholme Jcn? - are likely to have happy faces come next week.  And somehow I can't see Hornby entering the already crowded 0 gauge market, TT3 maybe (although they did they reject that idea in the not too distant past following a bit of market research), if there is going to be anything involving 'exciting' novelty I suspect it might be more likely linked to control methods and/or accessories.

But whatever they do in the next couple of years they are going to have to start generating significant profits if only to stave off their rapacious US creditor.