Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Hello all,

So, I thought that it was high time for the speculation about the Hornby 2019 range to begin, seeing as the announcement itself is only a couple of weeks away. However, to try and control things in the whole speculation department and prevent acrimony I would like to propose a couple of rules:

1. Keep it civil. This is a thread for people to have a go at guessing what will happen, not a thread where people can laugh at other people's guesses. Even if you find an idea to be ridiculous, it doesn't mean you HAVE to ridicule it.

2. Make a couple of guesses in each category: Steam Locos (all steam, from the Rocket to Tornado), Diesel & Modern Image, Coaches & Wagons, and The Surprising Thing (basically, the weird and wacky that you think might be a bit of a left field answer) along with a line or two rationalising it.

3. Have a go at all of the categories, regardless of whether you actually model it or not - remember that this is meant to be a bit of fun.

I'll have a go first:

Steam

- Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn Works 0-6-0. Considering the recent trend moving towards industrial prototypes, this loco offers a wide variety of liveries and detail variations and could be produced along the lines of the Peckett to keep the overall purchase price down. 

- GWR 111 'The Great Bear' - Considering Hornby's traditional penchant for express passenger locos as well as their recent trend towards one off prototype engines in this category, I think there is more than a passing chance that we would see the only GWR pacific in RTR form from Margate.

Diesel and Modern Image

- 26000 'Tommy'. For the same reasons as 'The Great Bear' above, its quite possible that an electric pioneer ( and the novelty of a pre-nationalisation electric loco) could be a viable punt for Hornby. Considering the engine's jaunts through to the continent, a great many people could justify the engines presence on their layout, and the different liveries carried by the real thing do give a choice of eras.

- Class 47 - I think its generally been accepted that the ubiquitous Brush type 4 has not been captured quite correctly in any of its guises from Lima (now Hornby themselves), Bachmnn, ViTrains or Heljan, despite some of them being damn close to the mark and very good models. If Hornby could deliver the definitive 47 then a monumental variety of engines could be produced, and a great many of Hornby's recent D&E models have been staggeringly good (Class 50, 56, 60 are leaders in the field) so it may well be worth considering, espcially considering the packed D&E Market where virtually everything has already been made.

Coaches and Wagons

- Modern GWR Clerestories - with pre-grouping and pre-nationalisation models becoming more and more popular these coaches would be a popular accompaniment to the Hornby GWR range and could well have been seen behind any number of early GWR engines currently on the market.

- DCC Sound Mk1 - Hornby introduced the box van with sound last year, it makes sense that their Mk1s with lights from the railroad range be upgraded to have their own sound chip.

The Surprising Thing

Now Andy Y's Margate report mentioned that there was something that was 'eyebrow raising' I believe, which has been seconded by others who were there. So here is my guess:

- Hornby enters 009 market. The market for RTR 009 has been shown to be more viable than was first believed and is one of the few areas where genuine growth can be found. My guess is that Hornby would follow it's MO of making well known 'high profile' locos, which I believe would mean locos from the Ffestiniog (most likely the Double Fairlies, despite their myriad detail differences) along with one or two wagons/coaches for them to pull. 

So that's my ideas, what do the rest of you think will happen? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

They made a big deal about their new deal with Warner Brothers - I will be very surprised to not see the return of the Harry Potter range to the catalogue this year. (Probably alongside some Batmobiles for Scalectrix!)

Edited by Watto1990

Locomotives

Duchess of Sutherland in LMS crimson lake livery.

Coaches

Blue and crimson lake Coronation coaches.

Crimson and cream and malachite green SR restaurant coaches

Wagons

SR banana vans

Southern (ex LSWR) Milk Van with sliding doors to go with their best selling milks churns.

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nah,a  retooled Princess Royal and a DCC battle spacecar................bin waitin for yonks!!!.......... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Whoops didn't see #3

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about 009, there's a danger of following where others have led and being "late to the party" which might not suit Hornby's self image.

R-t-r O-16.5 could be a different matter, though and might later lead on to an involvement in 7mm standard gauge.

I hope they don't in a way, though, because I'd find a 7mm Fairlie, Manning Wardle, etc. damn near irresistible..... 

John

• RMweb Premium

I reckon we have a good chance of seeing an update GWR Manor or Saint. Both popular locos, the Saint being the forerunner of the magnificent Halls.

As for something surprising, maybe Hornby will enter the N Gauge market with locos and stock. They did have Lyddle End after all

• Like 3

Nah,a  retooled Princess Royal and a DCC battle spacecar................bin waitin for yonks!!!.......... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Whoops didn't see #3

I think a Princess Royal would fit in with their Railroad range as there is not much lining and I think the simplified lining lets down models like the Flying Scotsman and Tornado.

I would like to see a crimson lake Princess back in their range.

• Like 1

I know I say it every year, but just maybe 2019 will be the years for the LMS "Motor train".  After all Hornby have already done the non corridors. They just need to produce the driving car and the all important ex LNWR 5'6" 2-4-2 Radial tank. 

https://walsalllife.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/46757-at-walsall1.jpg?w=480

The alternative is the Stanier class 3 2-6-2 tank. 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

There were a number of mis-posts on the Hornby website a week or so ago, but I now can't remember the details and can't find the posts here that catalogued them!

(Redacted by the admins? Surely not!)

I do remember that a couple of Railroad reintroductions were hinted at, the J83 and the GWR Railcar.

• RMweb Premium

Steam wise i wouldnt be suprised to see a retooled A3. 

Diesel wise im hoping for a class 25 with TTS sound and a DMU ( 101, 121, 122 ) with TTS sound

A retooled A3, you mean one that has a working trailing bogie? Now that would open my wallet. Still, when I presented my modified Brit with said trailing bogie to SK he said very nice (!) and that was that.

Steam, renewal of a core LMS origin loco, Black 5 or 8F. Ex-NBR D34 to further show off their 4-4-0 prowess

D+E, renewal of the 91 and mk4s as a complete IC225 set,  and a modern EMU, perhaps the 700.

Coaches, I think it is the GWR's turn to get some non-gangwayed. And exquisite Compagnie Internationale Wagons-Lits for the night ferry.

Wagons, LMS designs to go with the LMS steam loco

(There's more than a hint that they are going to try and revive the train set market, so 'items that go together' could be a theme.)

Eyebrow raising surprise. They at last see the light, and bring out a Peco challenging code 75 FB system with authentically based point geometry. (Don't know about raise an eyebrow, I might actually faint if that happened.)

• Like 1

I reckon we have a good chance of seeing an update GWR Manor or Saint. Both popular locos, the Saint being the forerunner of the magnificent Halls.

As for something surprising, maybe Hornby will enter the N Gauge market with locos and stock. They did have Lyddle End after all

Well with the Saint nearing completion at Didcot, it certainly would dovetail nicely. I'd certainly be up for a BR liveried version.

Also surprised that as 009 now seems popular in the RTR market, that no one has jumped at producing the V of R locos . . .

Mike C

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree the GWR Railcar in Railroad would seem likely - given they reintroduced Class 121 and 14xx when other manufacturers were bringing new versions of these and we've been promised a GWR Railcar to  modern standards.  Flush glazing and a better motor would severely tempt me.

Steam:
Going to hazard a few guesses here...
- GWR 56XX
- GWR Manor
- LMS Princess Royal

Diesel & Electric:
- Class 47
- Class 86/2, 86/4, 86/6
- Class 91
- Class 92 (hopefully Hornby or someone else picks up a Class 92)

Coaches:
- GWR non-corridor stock
- CIWL Night Ferries
- Mk4 coaches and DVT

I'd also love to see Hornby re-enter the N gauge market under the Hornby-Arnold banner. Their N gauge 5-BEL is superb! And I hope Hornby do more N gauge stuff. With this being said I think we'll see the following...
EMU:
- Class 800

I'd also love to see Hornby get into the OO9 market.

There were a number of mis-posts on the Hornby website a week or so ago, but I now can't remember the details and can't find the posts here that catalogued them!

I do remember that a couple of Railroad reintroductions were hinted at, the J83 and the GWR Railcar.

It has been removed by the looks of it...

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is a interesting thread and I thought I’d put in my five pence worth. I’m not a steam man but I’d love to see a full fat Crosti 9F in original build, with smoke deflectors and rebuilt versions.

As for modern image, I’m going to bang the Class 91 and Mk IV drum, if not that the Bombardier Electrostar’s. For wagons, Freightliner’s FSA or EWS/DBC FQA intermodal wagons.

For a left field model, a super dooper detailed Class 89.

• Like 1

Steam:

Going to hazard a few guesses here...

- GWR 56XX

- GWR Manor

LMS Princess Royal

Diesel & Electric:

- Class 47

- Class 86/2, 86/4, 86/6

- Class 91

Coaches:

- GWR non-corridor stock

- CIWL Night Ferries

- Mk4 coaches and DVT

It has been removed by the looks of it...

Not a clue about any steam era models but DE wise I would agree, 91 would be popular and timing would be great with 91019 going back into intercity livery. A new class 37 is required but hope Hornby leave that to Accurascale.

N gauge would be eyebrow raising (especially since they discontinued the Lyddle end range) but could be one that they announce especially as Oxford produce products in N gauge and the market has moved on in 10 years since they last tried it. Personally I think they missed a trick not buying Dapol a few years ago which would have fitted neatly with the their range in 4mm with minimal overlap and given them a firm foothold in the N gauge market.

Yes I did, but my post and all the responce on it was gone after a short while.

Think it was not allouwed, by the admins, probably it was a not to be shown items on Hornby's site in the first place[ Hornby's fault?], but still have the pictures in my computer and the information

on paper, but will not post again. 

Edited by Cor-onGRT4