Hornby - New tooling - Ruston 48DS 0-4-0

Andy Y

Rails have published a video on Facebook showing the 48DS running without the match wagon.

https://www.facebook.com/railsofsheffield/videos/vb.182517693075/482031672322794/?type=2&theater

Although, to be fair, that's clean, level, uninterrupted track. Pretty much anything will run on track like that, providing it runs at all. Where the additional pickups will come in useful are over dead frog points and crossings, and on track that's more typical of a train set oval or a beginner's attempt at flexitrack and that's been left uncleaned since it was nailed down!

I suspect I'll grab one or two. May grab one in military livery and an industrial one to respray at some point. Ideas are forming.

Great move by Hornby, if they follow it with other variations of it, I'm sure they'll all prove fairly popular.

Although, to be fair, that's clean, level, uninterrupted track. Pretty much anything will run on track like that, providing it runs at all. Where the additional pickups will come in useful are over dead frog points and crossings, and on track that's more typical of a train set oval or a beginner's attempt at flexitrack and that's been left uncleaned since it was nailed down!

One has to agree with that comment but the Hornby web site does say that the Conflat runner wagon can be removed if desired. This is not meant to be derogatory (and I appologise in advance if anybody who may be offended by it) but If you are happy with "track that's more typical of a train set oval or a beginner's attempt at flexitrack and that's been left uncleaned since it was nailed down!" then you may be stuck with the runner wagon.

• Administrators

One has to agree with that comment but the Hornby web site does say that the Conflat runner wagon can be removed if desired. This is not meant to be derogatory (and I appologise in advance if anybody who may be offended by it) but If you are happy with "track that's more typical of a train set oval or a beginner's attempt at flexitrack and that's been left uncleaned since it was nailed down!" then you may be stuck with the runner wagon.

If you want the model to run well without the runner wagon, you need really good track. The loco is the length it is and has a solid chassis. A fully-sprung version might have worked better on rough track, but the price would have gone through the roof. If your track isn't great then I'm not sure you are in the position to be too snooty about a very practical solution being provided by the manufacturer. They can't work magic, no matter how many modellers seem to think they should.

• Like 3

My comments were intended to be a little tongue in cheek, and I'm sure nobody here has a train set oval or track that hasn't been cleaned since it was nailed down (although, of course, we were all beginners, once). But a fair number of Hornby's customers will fall into at least one of those categories, and it's wise of them to allow for that by including a wagon for additional pickups. Those of us who are confident in our track-laying skills can easily enough do without it if we want. Although, actually, I quite like it anyway, just for the looks - a bit of extra detailing, with a couple of toolboxes, a few planks and the driver's bicycle, would be entirely appropriate and is a simple way of customising the model.

• Like 1

If you want the model to run well without the runner wagon, you need really good track. The loco is the length it is and has a solid chassis. A fully-sprung version might have worked better on rough track, but the price would have gone through the roof. If your track isn't great then I'm not sure you are in the position to be too snooty about a very practical solution being provided by the manufacturer. They can't work magic, no matter how many modellers seem to think they should.

“Suspension” as such doesn’t really have to be that sophisticated. The Model Rail Sentinel is a case in point. There is enough play in the axles to allow all four wheels to stay on P4 track and this can also be said of most Bo-Bo diesels on the market at the moment as they can be converted to P4 with a simple wheel swap. True, a fully sprung suspension runs that much better and for anyone contemplating running on a larger P4 layout it is worth the investment, but for a tiny diesel that will probably get run on on nothing more than a shunting layout or a Cameo a little bit of play is all that is needed. If the Ruston is built that way rather than being totally rigid then most people should be fine. How much play? How about +/- 0.5 mm, maybe even a little less unless your track is terminally bad and you still have those horrible insulfrog points with brass rail.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Does any know if the wheelbase is shorter than the Mode Rail Sentinal? that runs fine on my layout so hopefuly the Ruston will.

If all follows prototype dimensions, it will be approx. 5mm 7mm* shorter in the wheelbase.

With far less buffer overthrow on the Ruston it should happily propel some nine feet wheelbase wagons round a six inch radius curve.

Edit * Apologies. I thought you meant the Hornby as opposed to the Model Rail Sentinel.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

No need for springing, the rocking axle arrangement Dapol use on their B4 works just fine and mine hasn't hesitated on some horribly uneven old sidings.  

However, I wouldn't expect it, or any other short wheelbase four-wheeled loco to negotiate insulfrog points reliably without a pick-up equipped runner wagon.

Hornby points are insulfrog, but their Sentinels and Pecketts just about get away with it so long as they are laid flat and kept perfectly clean.

This wee beastie is even shorter, and won't. Hence the provision of the wagon.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I have to ask, is there any real need for insulfrog points in this day and age (other than having a stash of them left over from years ago)?

Electrofrogs, at least in their current design, need insulating rail joiners in order to avoid short circuits, at least in anything other than a simple point-to-siding scenario, and that in turn means you need to have power supplied to the track on both sides of the turnout - you can't rely on power being transmitted through it. So they're not suitable for "plug and play" setrack where the fishplates are permanently fixed to the track, and where there is typically only one power supply to the track. They don't work for train set track, basically.

For more "hobbyist" type of track, where people are prepared to put a bit of effort into laying it, insulfrog is, arguably, pretty much redundant. But I think it still makes sense to offer it there (eg, in Peco's Streamline range) as an intermediate position for those who are new to flexitrack and the complications it brings.

In the long run, though, I think Peco's new "unifrog" design will render insulfrog completely redundant. A unifrog works as  a dead frog point out of the box, but it can easily be converted to live frog running, and can do so while still not needing insulating fishplates. It's a very clever idea, especially since it can, in theory, work for setrack as well as flexitrack.

• RMweb Premium

I am now officially addicted to small industrial locos, Have ordered the Pecket 0-6-0t and will be getting one of these beauties.

Pricing for this model is very reasonable £72 at Hattons. Interestingly the very similar Bachmann 009 shunter is £38 more but I may still be tempted if I go down the narrow gauge route.

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I wonder when someone from Hornby is going to get around to answering some of the questions posed in this thread? When Hattons introduced their SECR P class and Barclay tanks last year we had pictures galore of the engines stripped down and weights and all. Hornby has given us some info but a little more would be nice, please?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I wonder when someone from Hornby is going to get around to answering some of the questions posed in this thread? When Hattons introduced their SECR P class and Barclay tanks last year we had pictures galore of the engines stripped down and weights and all. Hornby has given us some info but a little more would be nice, please?

Cheers,

David

I think Hornby have enough on their plate with the multitude of new releases they've announced.  Give them time

Does anyone have any experience of their (sane) maximum speed LE?

(Although ultimately with the model I'm more bothered about seeing an answer to the question: Can It Shunt?)

I seem to recall reading somewhere else that Ruston's stated they had a maximum haulage capacity of 240 tons on the level? 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111245-correct-sr-livery-for-ds1169-the-ruston-hornsby-48ds/?p=2309082

Perhaps it would be possible to utilize a smaller wagon with pickups? (See pic in link to Ruston at Yeovil)

Edited by Dalesmatt
  • Like 1

I seem to recall reading somewhere else that Ruston's stated they had a maximum haulage capacity of 240 tons on the level? 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111245-correct-sr-livery-for-ds1169-the-ruston-hornsby-48ds/?p=2309082

Perhaps it would be possible to utilize a smaller wagon with pickups? (See pic in link to Ruston at Yeovil)

Where did you get 240 tons from? If you'd bothered to look back to page 2 of this thread you would have found a post showing the figures given by Ruston & Hornsby in their own literature.

I don't know why I bother... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats exactly what I intend to do with mine when I receive it. I've a few ideas floating around as to what to use, a redundant coach bogie is favourite with a built up platform as London Transport used with their Sentinel diesels.

• RMweb Gold

Where did you get 240 tons from? If you'd bothered to look back to page 2 of this thread you would have found a post showing the figures given by Ruston & Hornsby in their own literature.

I don't know why I bother... :scratchhead:

Just saw that doc for the first time, if I am reading it correct one of these can pull 4 mk1’s on a level ?

My next question is can it stop them ?

• Like 1

What will be interesting is which decoder to use for DCC operation. Hatton's list the Guagemaster 6 pind direct yet Hornby are intro ducing a 6 pin on a harness.

Anybody know ?

If you plan on using Zimo (+stay alives) you may be spoilt for choice.

post-508-0-71542700-1548535788_thumb.jpg

I forgot to put the miniscule CT Electronic DCX77z in the photo but here it is in a Wickham Trolley along with the NEM651 socket that is almost as large as the chip.

post-508-0-92934200-1548536067.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 5