Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I would prefer to see moulded coal 'phased out immediately' (one of my favourite Arthur Scargill quotes from the 80s) and tenders/bunkers modelled empty; perhaps a pack of coal could be included in the box...

Yes, although I would settle for just the empty bunker of correct form. Hornby peaked on their Brit by doing this and including a plastic baggie of coal! But I have found that preserved railways are very good about a lump of loco coal for a plastic fiver donated.

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

...while we're at it, how about a set of lamps, 2 front and a tail at least, that can be fitted to the brackets, in the box as well!

I read years ago a suggestion that sounded eminently sensible and doable, standardised plug in (push fit) lampirons and loco lamps, made in 'on the footplate' and 'into the smokebox door' forms, so it would be simpler to dress a loco for its intended work. Disc alternatives where applicable.

• RMweb Gold

Mine, although there's not much left of it now, is a lump I mined myself on a visit to Big Pit in Blaenafon many years ago.  A good half of it has gone in to my loaded coal train, which is 11 wagons and does not use card or foam fillers under a top layer because I like the 'heft' and the slight slip it induces when I'm trying to get the train underway with a 94xx.  It may be time to go back for another lump, if they still let you have a go...

Lamps that fit on brackets require a common agreed system for compatibility of course, and we haven't achieved that with couplings properly yet!  I lamp my trains correctly using cut down Rexel no.13 staples as brackets and a combination of Modelus, and Springsides with holed drilled in the bottom; the Modelu lamps look better but are a bit fragile for continued handling as the handles break.  I'd suggest some sort of ferrous casting that could be magnetically attached as best for RTR purposes, attaching to rather than fitting on the brackets; this would allow a bit more leeway and easier compatibility IMHO.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Mine, although there's not much left of it now, is a lump I mined myself on a visit to Big Pit in Blaenafon many years ago.  A good half of it has gone in to my loaded coal train, which is 11 wagons and does not use card or foam fillers under a top layer because I like the 'heft' and the slight slip it induces when I'm trying to get the train underway with a 94xx.  It may be time to go back for another lump, if they still let you have a go...

Lamps that fit on brackets require a common agreed system for compatibility of course, and we haven't achieved that with couplings properly yet!  I lamp my trains correctly using cut down Rexel no.13 staples as brackets and a combination of Modelus, and Springsides with holed drilled in the bottom; the Modelu lamps look better but are a bit fragile for continued handling as the handles break.  I'd suggest some sort of ferrous casting that could be magnetically attached as best for RTR purposes, attaching to rather than fitting on the brackets; this would allow a bit more leeway and easier compatibility IMHO.

A missing lump of coal? Aha! You're the culprit! I wondered where it went! Actually, I've got about a carrier bags worth. It's far too small to go into a proper locomotive, so just right for model uses. It should be Meadow Vein, just right for a truly authentic coal load. 

Ian.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And of course the Western's lamp brackets are the other way round to the inferior companies (who managed to fit them incorrectly.........:D)

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Mine, although there's not much left of it now, is a lump I mined myself on a visit to Big Pit in Blaenafon many years ago.  It may be time to go back for another lump, if they still let you have a go...

Take a good torch! I came away with a few lumps of genuine shale and ended up calling at Didcot on the way home.

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, but if you picked up 'coal' at Blaenavon, then it will undoubtedly be shale. The local area had an extensive opencast project carried out prior to being landscaped to remove nearly 150 years of industrial desolation. We had about 1/2 million tons of overburden, a lot of which was used to level up certain areas. I had about a carrier bag's worth of Meadow Vein, a coal seam about 1,000 yards from Big Pit. It's a very friable coal, easy to break, and ideal for power station stock. If you use it, be sure to seal it, as it will continue to break down to a fine dust. Living in Wales, it's still relatively easy to get a lump or two: Not so easy if you live in somewhere like Edgware or Basingstoke.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Memory lapse.

• RMweb Gold

There are spots on Caerphilly Mountain where you can 'crop' coal; the measures come to the surface here, and there are pits showing where this was done by local people during the depression of the 1930s and in the 1926 strike.  Coal is still easy enough to come by round here, and I have no doubt I will be able to replace my depleted lump, but another visit to Big Pit is long overdue and I could drop in on your 12" to the foot scale train set as well.  It isn't particularly shaley, but mined by yours truly from the main seam underground at Big Pit, on the way out just before you get to the underground pony stable.  It is proper coal, shiny on it's flat faces and not especially friable.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

We will find out when/if they announce anything. 

My guess for a mid year announcement is..

Steam: top secret surprise reworked Toby from Thomas to Railroad J70

Diesels: class 25, 91, 92 all in railroad

Electrics : class 86 also in railroad

coaches: mk5 sleepers

More trees, bushes, hedges

:)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There are spots on Caerphilly Mountain where you can 'crop' coal; the measures come to the surface here, and there are pits showing where this was done by local people during the depression of the 1930s and in the 1926 strike.  Coal is still easy enough to come by round here, and I have no doubt I will be able to replace my depleted lump, but another visit to Big Pit is long overdue and I could drop in on your 12" to the foot scale train set as well.  It isn't particularly shaley, but mined by yours truly from the main seam underground at Big Pit, on the way out just before you get to the underground pony stable.  It is proper coal, shiny on it's flat faces and not especially friable.

Sorry Johnster. Ill health is keeping me away from the big railway. Once I've finished some remedial work at home, it's 'shed' time. I've got some serious train playing time to catch up, and these trains don't run by themselves.  Actually, I've never been underground at Big Pit.....Although I did help brick up the slant roadway tunnel. If you want some coal, let me know.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hornby could cap off a really, really excellent year by announcing a full-fat pannier, with no expense spared. A low gear ratio, and connectable pickups to allow better performance, either via a shunters truck, or a guards van. The problem is that all the other stuff, how will I pay for it?

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Give them a break! Having finally broken their roughly 60 year duck in tooling any completely all-new 0-6-0T with the J50, they now have two more on the go in this year's announcement. And is it likely to be most profitable to go into thoroughly occupied territory? Forty years of the pannier available from Mainline, Replica and Bachmann just for starters.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Give them a break! Having finally broken their roughly 60 year duck in tooling any completely all-new 0-6-0T with the J50, they now have two more on the go in this year's announcement. And is it likely to be most profitable to go into thoroughly occupied territory? Forty years of the pannier available from Mainline, Replica and Bachmann just for starters.

Can't argue with that. It's one thing to ask for it, another thing to actually get it. I'll stick with what I've got.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hornby could cap off a really, really excellent year by announcing a full-fat pannier, with no expense spared. A low gear ratio, and connectable pickups to allow better performance, either via a shunters truck, or a guards van. The problem is that all the other stuff, how will I pay for it?

Ian.

There are 4 'open goal' possibles amongst the panniers, a hi-spec 2721 (my preference of course), 54xx,  

16xx, and 15xx.  A 15xx would be something of a challenge, with all that daylight showing low down.

I would deffo be in the market for an upgraded 2721 to replace my 2761 worked up Hornby.  This loco was at Tondu during my period for over 2 years, 1948 to withdrawal at the end of May 1950.  My upgrade is not bad, but I can't get around the incorrect wheel spacing and skirts.  It'll be a problem to my already nervous wallet if it comes out around the same time as the Baccy 94xx!

Less of an open goal would be the later series 64xx/74xx, which have a different cab to the Baccy 64xx.

We live in hope.  Actually, I live in inner city Cardiff, which is a sort of denial of hope...

My advice about ill health is not to have it, but you've clearly already ignored that!  Take care of yourself and get better as soon as you can, mate.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I've heard rumours through modellers on social media that they are, and there may be a D-lightful announcement, but all rumours. 

Here's hoping its a specific 'D' (preferably with beautiful lining)......

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Im thinking if they did do mid year announcements there would also be a TPE class 802... Personally im hoping for a GWR class 802 myself :wink_mini:

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I've heard rumours through modellers on social media that they are, and there may be a D-lightful announcement, but all rumours. 

If there are rumours,then they might emanate from another quarter...which might surprise ...or not if one considers that others have form in this particular field.This is pure guesswork btw and in no sense insider information.Like Stationmaster Mike,I don’t think Hornby will do this.Having said that,they are full of nice surprises.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2019 at 00:55, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I heard it could even be something D/E-lightful this year.