New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

Customising the activity streams is definitely the way to go. I've now got 2 on the go. The first, and now default view, is 'New content in threads I have posted in or follow', and this is close to the two types of content I used most often in the old forum. The second is 'Unread content' (which will remain too busy until the 'ignore topic' ability is reinstated).

I hope the former will include blogs, but can't check that at the moment, and I doubt the 'content types' filter has actually kicked in yet. The second stream (the 'unread content') is not the same as the old VNC, because the latter still contained greyed-out read content, whereas any version of the new 'unread content' cannot contain read content. (Which sounds obvious I know, but is probably the biggest cultural change between the new and the old systems.)

rmweb-threads-follow.png

rmweb-threads-follow.png

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Working with @Andy Y, we have created a Frequently Asked Questions section to try and answer some of the most popular queries.  Please pass the word around!

The new topics can be found here: rmWeb New Forum FAQ.  Its actually on the 'Forum Rules, Notices, Faults & Help' topic off the main forums age.  Andy will lock and pin it shortly, so it stays on topic and easily readable by people.

6 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Andy i think you should put a new topic at the front end, let Corbs do his 'How to ' on creating a stream showing  my new content , then lock the bloomin thing so instead of us trolling back through this thread to find it we can point peeps to Corbs post ! Bloomin genius ;)    thst should kill a few hundred new posts in here :lol:

Matt - I have added Corbs suggestion on that to the above FAQ!

Rich

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Just to confirm, I am on a Mac with Safari too. I suspect this could be to do with the indexing.  The 'likes' etc are showing for the posts I have made to day, but not for anything prior to Tuesday.  Is that the same situation your in EWD? If so, it may well resolve itself once the indexing is completed.

Rich

I can now see an "i" for informative from Andy Y on my previous post, but not Corbs's heart on the earlier post. Your theory about the indexing sounds feasible.

Maybe best to leave it for now and see if it settles down - not mega-important in the grand scheme of things, as I said earlier.

Thanks for the prompt responses from everyone. Signing off from this issue for now.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It's not as good as the previous 'Top' function at the bottom of every post but I have got an end of page grey arrow working at the bottom right of each page.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Budgie said:

That's not showing in my window. Maybe there's a setting somewhere I need to change.

I think you'll need to have your mouse over the post you want to link to - it seems to 'appear' and 'disappear' as the mouse passes over the post.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MarshLane said:

I think you'll need to have your mouse over the post you want to link to - it seems to 'appear' and 'disappear' as the mouse passes over the post.

Report Post changes from grey to black as the mouse moves into the post, but the arrow symbol does not appear

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's not as good as the previous 'Top' function at the bottom of every post but I have got an end of page grey arrow working at the bottom right of each page.

It's following me up and down the page!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Budgie said:

Report Post changes from grey to black as the mouse moves into the post, but the arrow symbol does not appear

Hmm, interesting. Id say it would be a setting that would be set site wide, rather than per user.  This is how our last couple of messages are displaying - yours is different to this?

1849386534_Screenshot2019-02-02at17_04_55.png.e095d8ac4728ebea7284f83d046dc788.png

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hmm, interesting. Id say it would be a setting that would be set site wide, rather than per user.  This is how our last couple of messages are displaying - yours is different to this?

1849386534_Screenshot2019-02-02at17_04_55.png.e095d8ac4728ebea7284f83d046dc788.png

Yes post1.jpg.485e599e232ade64fa655476f9edbc76.jpg

I've noticed that posts seems to have lost their numbers - short of quoting a previous post [and presumably adding to the memory usage] it used to be pretty quick to refer to say, post #30000 in "Wright Writes". Is this a temporary AWOL or is it a permanent feature? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, roundhouse said:

Sorry I do not like this new set up. I have tried to post here for some time but it just messes up. Not normally so vocal but can't get the hang of it

Can't even find my own posts.

Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help you. Posting is no different to how it was on the old site.

1 minute ago, Arun Sharma said:

I've noticed that posts seems to have lost their numbers - short of quoting a previous post [and presumably adding to the memory usage] it used to be pretty quick to refer to say, post #30000 in "Wright Writes". Is this a temporary AWOL or is it a permanent feature? 

Its gone, as it wasn't that useful - see Questions about posting in the FAQ

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I used to take five minutes over my first coffee of the day for a look through the new content page. Having visited the new site a couple of times yesterday I was scratching my head as to where to find things. Did eventually find my old attachments but was left wondering if at my age I have enough years left to be bothered learning it all. Think I'll crawl back to the cave and do some modelling instead.

Had another half hour at it, on the desktop this time which was much easier than the phone. Managed to find and repost one of my old attachments in reply to a new question. ;)

I would have liked to link to the old thread but can't work out if that is possible yet. Another thing I used a few times in the old site was to be able to quote a post number when adding a comment., rather than copy the comment especially when referring to several consecutive comments. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help you. Posting is no different to how it was on the old site.

Its gone, as it wasn't that useful - see Questions about posting in the FAQ

Except that it was when people were referring back to posts in long threads.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, john new said:

Until an earlier post got removed or hidden and the post numbers changed, as Andy has already said several times, and yes I did have this happen to me several times in the old software, and it was rather frustrating.

Gary

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, john new said:

A link to the actual post was far more useful than someone saying "go to post 312" which then took forever to find. The Share This Post function is thus, IMO, much more useful.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So far so very good it seems to me.  The picture thing seems to be ok now, the main screens are much clearer than they were especially on the Mac.  I had a quick look at 'My Attachments' and found 163 pages of pics I have posted in the past - which is rather handy thank you very much.  'Browse' seems to work very well and the highlighting of threads I haven't looked at appears to be fully operational and very handy.  Pages are now loading faster than they did yesterday - software equivalent of 'running in' having an effect perhaps????

So overall it looks like 'AY Mod' has done a pretty good job getting things up and running notwithstanding having to start with what amounted to a clean sheet, without any crib notes or 'road maps' once the IT man had done his bit for us.

So big thanks to Andy for all his hard work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Minimum you got your reputation count. I still got nothing (not correct - I am on 3 which is yesterdays posts), I do not find my old threads, When I look into the activity stream (sounds great this new speak word...) and into threads where I have posted - I find two where I posted yesterday. Does that mean all the past is gone?  

Just saw the message that the system is still indexing - so I am probably on the lucky end of the queue...

Edited by Vecchio
new comment

For what it's worth , pictures in my blogs - even back at the start - appear to be there. Whether others can see them I don't know, but I can see them fine.

Threads are a completely different matter (though I've manually reinserted the photos in a few old threads just in case via My Attachments)

As for anything else we are effectively running with uncustomised software in a kind of "safe-mode" and I suspend any judgements till we see something like the finished experience. The forum is at least up and running 

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I've changed my mind after using it across different devices, it's a lot better as it's always there once the top menu is off screen irrespective of the post length being viewed.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7