RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

There is no direct correlation between the size of a JPG image in pixels, and the file size in KB, even at the same compression level.

Everything depends on the amount of detail in the image. A photo of a blank grey wall could be 8000 x 6000 and still be only 5KB.

Here are two photos. Both are 1280 x 800 and both have the same minimum compression. The first has a large area of plain sky and is 448KB. The second is more than double at 1071KB:

The file sizes could be significantly reduced by applying say 10% compression, which would be barely noticed on most screens (but would be when printed).

There is no easy answer to this. Digital cameras take great pictures nowadays but they are far too large for normal web use and connection speeds. Converting to something more usable is easy enough for the computer-savvy, but it's beyond many. The only option is to do it on the server.

Martin's quite correct, what's good for the web is completely different to what's needed for print.

I have been looking at what the settings are and what's happening server-side and tinkering with alternatives.

Originally it was set to re-size and item down to 1200 x 1200 (max dims) and display at 1500 x 1500 (max dims) and in that form I uploaded a 6.09MB image (good enough for a double page spread in the mag) and the resultant displayed attachment came out at 456KB, I've adjusted it to 1500 x 1500 (resize and display) and it's a reasonable 683KB. I did try 1920 max width so that there was a full-page lightbox (equiv to HD) but can then see that the upload/resize/compression takes longer to process. On that basis I'm tempted to reduce the 10MB limit downwards to reduce server load rather than anything to do with size and display.

Not much wrong with this for a 683KB image for web use.

Feature_15.jpg.f7d9f1a57b753343570a1883bdd8ce61.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Martin's quite correct, what's good for the web is completely different to what's needed for print.

I have been looking at what the settings are and what's happening server-side and tinkering with alternatives.

Originally it was set to re-size and item down to 1200 x 1200 (max dims) and display at 1500 x 1500 (max dims) and in that form I uploaded a 6.09MB image (good enough for a double page spread in the mag) and the resultant displayed attachment came out at 456KB, I've adjusted it to 1500 x 1500 (resize and display) and it's a reasonable 683KB. I did try 1920 max width so that there was a full-page lightbox (equiv to HD) but can then see that the upload/resize/compression takes longer to process. On that basis I'm tempted to reduce the 10MB limit downwards to reduce server load rather than anything to do with size and display.

Most the photos I upload for my photo threads are resized to 1500 pixels across (less for portrait format), at a size of around 300-450kB (saving at around quality 8 in Photoshop).

It only takes a few seconds in Photoshop (or other software) to do the resize, it makes uploading much quicker.

David

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

It only takes a few seconds in Photoshop (or other software) to do the resize, it makes uploading much quicker.

David

That's true and one could batch-downsize images using automator on a mac, but all this is a workaround for a problem which didn't previously exist, and negates the convenience of uploading direct from a mobile or (again on a mac) photos app. I don't have a windows PC so I don't know what the equivalent would be - google photos maybe?

For me, my phone and laptop sync automatically so there is no 'transfer files from camera to hard drive' phase currently, and being able to upload direct from phone is great. To have to add in an action to down-res the images in automator would be bothersome.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There's  small feed from the blogs on the right hand side of the main forum page. This updates when there is a new entry or comment, but also whenever a blog entry is edited. This is particularly obvious at the moment, where several users are adding header photos to past  blog entries. For example, at the time of writing all of my blog edits this morning have - to my embarassement - crowded out everyone else from the feed.

Would be great if the settings could be changed - when there is time - so that blogs only show up when there is a new entry or comment, not edits. Fortunately it doesn't affect the main blog list page.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Boris said:

I want the ability to make sure the person who drew this on my car isn't a forum member.

Looks very fresh; almost like it had just been done before the picture was taken. :)

• Funny 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

This updates when there is a new entry or comment, but also whenever a blog entry is edited.

I hadn't realised it was doing that but I suppose it classes it as a new submission - I'll have to look into that but I'm not overly hopeful.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, bgman said:

I have started to receive "your RMweb digest" notifications to my e-mail inbox, quite a novel feature ! 

Yes, it gives updates on topics you follow.

I've had a ranty email from someone demanding that this spam stops immediately - I've told him to go and adjust his settings - there's a link in the email to do just that.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Yes, it gives updates on topics you follow.

I've had a ranty email from someone demanding that this spam stops immediately - I've told him to go and adjust his settings - there's a link in the email to do just that.

I think this is probably down to the old RMWeb software, I had all my topics set to weekly notifications, but never had any email notifications at all until the new software was installed, but tend to check topics I follow more regularly so have switched them off, but I guess could be the same for a lot of other users. Admittedly, my first reaction wasn't rant, but "oh it's now working", don't need these so I turn them off.

Edited by Andy 53B
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I like the "tooltip" functionality in the topic lists for each individual forum, whereby it shows you the first and latest posts of each thread if you hover your mouse over the thread title:

557102053_Forumhover.jpg.6dd994c97d9cc8e5936574fcf501ceac.jpg

(Well, I say that I like it but it's still not as good as the old forum software which would show you the first, first new and latest posts by clicking on the down arrow button.)

However, this doesn't seem to function on activity streams - specifically, on the activity stream equivalent of "view new content".

Would it be possible to get this working on activity streams?  Sometimes all I want to do is to check whether the latest post is back on topic before going to the actual thread...

(I would also add a vote in favour of being able to see the topic lists output by the activity stream paged, like the individual forum lists and the search output lists are, rather than having to use the "load more activity" button.  Happy for this to be an option selectable by the user if there are differing opinions on the matter.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 1

One of the things I miss is the "old" home page, where there were lists of the recent posts under "Workbench" and "Layouts" (I think). Made it easy to see what had updated in areas that interested me. I second the comments about tags, and maybe if that functionality matures we could even have something as whizzy as customised home pages where we could see for example all updates on threads with certain tags.

Oh, and if it could make the tea as well....

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Boris said:

I want the ability to make sure the person who drew this on my car isn't a forum member.

Must be a close friend, no one else would be that kind. :P

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me if I have missed something but is there a way to get the "Digest" mails delivered in condensed form - as one can do with activity streams?

I'd just prefer a list of the streams that have been upadted and that I should look at rather than all of the posts in each stream being replicated.

It would reduce outgoing mail size for the server as well!

Tony

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Forgive me if I have missed something but is there a way to get the "Digest" mails delivered in condensed form - as one can do with activity streams?

I agree Tony but I've not had chance to look at configuring that yet. I will try next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Andy, Any chance a list of lookers could be re instated at the bottom of threads, it's always nice (in my humble opinion) so see who's looking in.

SORRY if this has already been asked.

Andy P. (THE OTHER BALD ONE).:D

48 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Andy, Any chance a list of lookers could be re instated at the bottom of threads, it's always nice (in my humble opinion) so see who's looking in.

@Andrew PIt's back, look at the top of your thread page and there is a viewers button as well as an ignore button.

the viewers button shows everyone who has visited and when they last did so.

i am glad to see the ignore button back, there are a couple of arguments I will be happy to see hidden away again

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2019 at 15:40, AY Mod said:

Andy,

Not wishing to criticize in anyway, but i’ve noted a few comments on various threads where people are struggling with the 10MB limit, in all cases it’s a lack of knowledge of how to resize images or reduce the compression. I therefore wonder if reducing that limit further may cause more pain for some, whose computer skills are (through no fault of their own) not as high as others? Only offer this as a viewpoint and comment - obviously I don’t know what drive space your working with on the server, but given the ever decreasing costs of storage, it would be a shame if the pictorial content reduced.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@Andrew PIt's back, look at the top of your thread page and there is a viewers button as well as an ignore button.

the viewers button shows everyone who has visited and when they last did so.

i am glad to see the ignore button back, there are a couple of arguments I will be happy to see hidden away again

Thanks, but what I had in mind was the here and now viewers, as we had before, not the past viewers.

Thanks anyway.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I am probably among the simplest members - chorus of agrees! - in that I only use New Content by and large, and have no interest in following threads or receiving notifications. That seems to be just as available in the new software, thank you. But I do not seem to be able to customise my landing page, which is VNC. So I seem to be stuck with status updates, blogs, exhibitions etc. , and other irrelevances. I fully understand why advertising banners etc might be needed on that page, because they pay the bills, but this other stuff doesn’t. It all reminds me of Facebook, which I loath for the same cluttered reason. Any chance, in due course, of more personalisation, please? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Andy its here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php

At the bottom of the forums page

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Vistisen said:

Another thing I would like at the bottom of a page on both the full and mobile version is a 'go to top of page' button. I have to do a lot of scrolling up to get back to the top all the time

You should see a grey box with an up arrow, in the margin, bottom right of the screen. This takes you to the top.

• Thanks 1